Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR's new turbos

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 01:42 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You two guy's need to sort out your differenecs on your own, not here. I am not interested in hearing about your problems. I want this board to provide me with facts, knowledge and high quality products. Maybe we have to go thro' this sort of pissing contest to finally get what we are all after.

Real Tuners put their reputations on the line by what they do, what they make, and how they apply it. All of these gimmicks, free Injectors etc, are just hooks to get you to buy their other junk. If their stuff was up to it, you don't need to give away anything. I remember someone once telling me this. "A customer will be very happy with a discount in labor, (thinking your a good guy),but any discounts in parts only gives the customer a feeling that they were ripped off by the higher prices". I have always remembered this.

Tim, I'm sure you are very capable. Put your energies to work and produce parts, kits etc that are the BEST there is. Forget the fighting. We and you will all benifit from this. That goes for all of the Tuners. Put your efforts into product and services. THE CREAM ALWAYS RISES TO THE TOP.

If this happens we will see some fall by the wayside. IMHO, they never desevered to be "there" in the first place.

Lets see some new parts and products on these so called WEBB sites. I'm looking. Can't quite see anything yet. All I see is stuff that is bought by the Tuner and resold to us. Maybe some have some stuff of their own. I commend them from that. But lets see more. Come on Huntley, Lindsey, PowerHaus. Lets see what you are really made of. Give us something new. Stop selling us the same old junk! WE WANT MORE. BTW, Powerhaus, I looked at your WEBB site prior to writing this and saw your remarks about Vision. Its this sort of trash "Sh-T" throwing that turns me away and its to this point I make my long post. Let your product and services speak for themselves. Stand up and tell us about your stuff. Don't trash someone else to promote your junk!

There all many 944 Tuners out there. I would list them all, but I am not qualified to do this. Maybe this could start a posted list of who they are and at what level do they offer stuff. Do they make their own parts, do they offer in house machining services, engine building services, do they R&D parts for our engines, whats their background and experiences etc. Some do this, but some just front these services to us. Take a good look. The ones who offer us good product etc now, typically have all of these services available in house. The ones who sell us the same old junk, just front these services. Go see for yourselves. I have where I live. Ask, question, its your right. Your paying the bill.

We want this stuff. We're all car junkies. We want to go fast. We need your help. We just want product that is better than the product sold year after year.

As a 951 owner, I know we are CHEAP BASTARDS. I admit it. It comes from, hell we can make it for less at home amd the outcome is not much different from the sold stuff. Then make and sell us stuff that we cannot even attempt "AT HOME". We will buy it, if we want to go fast.

Simon
Old 03-21-2003, 03:02 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with just about everything you said, m42racer. However, I do believe in this situation, that Tim has got to come out and post a reply for the sake of his business, which is his livelihood. It may seem like fighting, which, in a way it is. But if he does not answer G96's questions, then it could be construed that he has not answered because the accusations are correct. Tim has also brought to light that G96 was a SFR customer, and as it would seem, a very dissatisfied one. I think that thier conflict (as far as a tuner-customer relationship) is necessary to be played out on the boards, so that we will all know what happened. Something obviously went wrong, I would like to hear both sides of the story.
Old 03-21-2003, 04:50 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Since the purchase of my N/A some 16 years ago, I have done my own maintenace. Engine rebuild, clutch, tune-up, electrical gremlins to name the major items. The only modifications being the installation of Koni yellows and 200 weltmeister springs.

Since the purchase of my 951, 2 years ago, I have gotten into the modificaton game and have come to know several "Tuners".

Here are my comments:

Speedforce Racing:

FACT:

Drove car to San Diego for a "free chip". Three weeks later was told that I needed a new turbo. I traded a mill to SFR for a stage II ball bearing turbo, maf, arc II and arm I. This was a fair deal and both parties were happy. Turbonetics had QC problems with their turbos and Tim was straight forward and allowed me to confirm via a call to Turbonetics. 3 months later my turbo was delivered. Tim told me he would have the package installed in 1 week. I called at the end of 1 week and was told he needed 1 more week. At the end of the second week I called and was told it was almost done. I flew down on the wednesday of the third week. The car was not done. I stayed on SD as I was told that it would be done on Friday. I scheduled an appointment at a dyno shop, as I did not want to drive 800 miles without it being tuned. Friday was told it would not be ready til Saturday. Scrambled and talked the dyno guy into opening up on Saturday. Went to SFR on Saturday morning and car was far from ready. I started turning wrenches myself. Called the dyno shop and talked him into opening on Sunday. Tim recomended that I get the tial waste gate and his exhaust system to compliment the setup. Wastegate and exhaust was purchased. Sunday made it to the dyno shop 1 hour late. Spent 6 hours and $600 attempting to tune the car, as it would not run after 4,000 rpm. On the phone the whole time to Tim. In frustration, started drive home. On the way home I called Danno. Within 5 minutes of reflection, Danno came up with the theory that the SFR custom chips did not remove the overboost protection. This is before Danno started Guru racing and before Guru chips (and I believe why he started making chips). Danno asked me to stop at his home and said he would look at my car for me. 8pm sunday night Danno popped my hood, checked a couple of things then promply removed his DME & KLR boxes from his car and swapped with mine. The car ran amazing. Danno let me keep his computers to get home (he just blew his headgasket) and for 2 weeks while I ordered autothority chips. Again Guru Racing was just an idea at this point. When I told Tim the final resolution, Tim stated that he had no involvement with the chips that John Anderson did them with the dyno shop. At that time, I was happy as my car made 275 rwhp. Two weeks ago I blew my head gasket (I beleive the head lifted). Since returning from SFR, I have had an oil leak in the vacinity of the turbo. Since I had the top end removed I decided to go all the way and remove the turbo to locate the oil leak. I found several nuts missing on the exhaust system. The O2 sensor was one thread from falling out. And only one of the two bolts holding the turbo onto its mount was installed. The oil leak originated at the base of the turbo at the mount. The hybred garret turbo center section does not match the factory oil hole. The garrets hole is square and the factory is round with an o-ring. SFR just installed a paper gasket on top of the o-ring for the seal. Coupled with the missing bolt and a bad gasket it leaked badly. My turbo and engine mount are currently at S Car Go Racing for a fix. I will post pictures later.

OPPINION: Tim has good knowledge of modifications and a lesser skill of trouble shooting. Fabrication work I have seen done by SFR is top quality. His mechanical skills performed on my car were unexcusibly poor. This could have been caused by my method of standing over Tim to get the job done, but this then leads to an issue with scheduling and time management. I do believe Tim to be %100 percent honest and a stand up guy. Up until I found the poor worksmanship mentioned, I was satisified with SFR. I will no longer purchase SFR items.

Guru Racing:

Fact:

Purchased custom chip to replace autothority chip which had cold idle issues. Chip cured issues. Purchased 55 lb injectors. Danno delivered injectors (came up to bay area one day prior to a pizza run) and assisted in the installation of a Apexi AVCR (purchased elsewhere).

Oppinion:

Danno has the most complete knowledge of the 944 systems of anyone I have spoken to. Products are new in the modification game so I worry about logevity, but the items I purchased are performing well. Outstanding customer service, far beyound the call of duty. Has inovative mind and is willing to "push the envelope" by providing new and exciting products specific for the 944. I will purchase future Guru Products/innovations.

Lindsey Racing

Fact:

Sent head for rebuild. Had stage I rebuild with exhaust port modification option. Lindsey completed rebuild in 3 days. Called two days later to comfirm reciept and inquired "hows it looked". Purchased stage two intercooler. Easy installation, SFR level build quality. Called to confirm reciept and inquire how it all performed.

Oppinion:

First class worksmanship. Very impressed with follow-up. Also great knowledge of the 944 series cars with proven and tested products. Race their own 951. Will do buisness with Lindsey in the future.

Sorry for the long post but felt it was time I voiced my oppinion. For those that know me and have read about "Barn Burning" and other events I have hosted, know I am a stand up guy and a avid 944 owner. My statement is meant solely to inform fellow Rennlisters of my experiences and oppinion. Flame away.
Old 03-21-2003, 05:59 PM
MySwiss
Pro

Now,this is what I call a real evaluation. We need more of that to know were we can spend our cash.
Old 03-21-2003, 06:04 PM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

I am going to follow m42racer's advice and start a Topic for the subject of tuner reviews, Bill Could you please post a copy of your post there?

PorscheG96- Could you post your experiences with SFR?
Old 03-21-2003, 06:16 PM
glen2002
Racer

Bill,
Thanks for such an open and honest evaluation. It is very much appreciated by those of us who cant exactly drive down to see whats happening.
Glen
Old 03-21-2003, 07:50 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts
"used MAF kit at Rennlist classifieds $ 500.00"
"Vendors evaluation at Rennlist forums Priceless"
Old 03-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

The strength of this forum is that we, the end users, can share our experiences. Hopefully we learn something from them. It has to be done truthfully, "matter of fact" and without mallace.

Keep in mind, this is my experience. Others experiences can and will differ.

To the business that also use this forum, they will see that we are open, informed and unwilling to be taken advantage of.

As another Rennlister brilliantly pointed out....the cream always rises to the top.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:59 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Hey Bill,

Since there are two sides to every story........ The turbo had both bolts installed when it left. I did not personally install your turbo but I did check to make sure the bolts were in when it left. The O2 sensor was never even touched by us so that is not our fault! Your car was in very poor shape when it came in and I told you about this. Rust everywhere comes to mind. I mentioned this to you too. I also supplied you with quite a few parts without charge because your parts were completely unusable. For example water lines to and from the turbo, various nuts and bolts, etc........

As far as you picking up your car goes....you gave me an ultimatum. I was not in a position to finish your car when you wanted but I was left with no choice but to try and do it because you were intent on coming down.You also were hanging around the whole time and any mechanic knows that this can be very difficult as well as distracting. Now I will stand up and say that I installed the wastegate and the testpipe(and maybe some other things like vacuum lines and hoses, etc.....) with you there. I reused your hardware even though it probably should have been replaced due to rust. When the install was complete we took the car out for a drive. If any of the testpipe, wastegate, etc.... was loose at that time there WOULD have been a noticable exhaust leak that could be heard. There wasnt. There was a problem under boost where the car would cut out. I thought it was the blow-off valve and we changed it out.We then proceeded to test drive the car.In fact you thought it would be great to go 140mph down the freeway (with some traffic present) with me as your passenger! This was very irresponsible in my opinion.The problem seemed to disappear though(at least it wasnt evident at 140 mph) and you left happy.

If you think my trouble shooting skills are poor then you are mistaken my friend.Now I will admit that I didnt even think about the dyno shop not taking out the overboost protection on the chip. Again, my former partner John A. was in charge of having the chips done. I was doing my own thing and he was doing his thing.

Now we need to discuss our TRADE in more detail. Lets see you got a Level 2 ball-bearing turbo($1499) and you got a level 1 mass-flow system($1499). Labor to install these things is about 12 hours(at $70 an hour) equals $840.Together these things have a value of $3838. What did I get? I got a broken down Kodiak mill that you stated was a Bridgeport(actually it was a knock-off of a Bridgeport that is made in Spain)and I payed for shipping. Maybe I should go into more details........The autofeed on one side is broke. All of the manual levers were broke. The ways were way out of tolerance. The spindle is bent and out of tolerance. The mill is worth less then a thousand dollars the way we received it. Did I back out of the deal? No. I held my end of the bargain. I also asked you to pay for a tune-up on the mill. You agreed. It has been over a year since this arrangement and yet you have never come through with your promise.

This is my side of the story. Bill, I never knew you felt this way.You called me once since you left with your car. You called to get a water temp sender for your turbo. You asked to have it shipped overnight and I did exactly as you asked. You never said one thing about any problems. As far as I was concerned, everything was ok between you and I (except for the tune-up deal on the mill) until today. So I am sorry you feel as though I am not mechanically inclined. I am sorry you feel that my trouble shooting skills are poor. Ofcourse these are your opinions and I know there are many people who will disagree with you. So now what? Are you going to keep your end of the deal and pay for this mill to get the ways and spindle refurbished? Are you going to buy new handles for the mill? Are you going to fix the broken autofeed? Let me know. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:14 AM
TurboTim
Banned

G96,

I accept your apology.

To clarify a little......I was not implying that you can buy this turbo, bolt it on to a completely stock car and add over 100 horsepower at the stock boost level. This would be a ridiculous claim. LOL! These turbos can add this amount of power to a properly set-up vehicle though. These turbos are not new per say but using them on the 944 is fairly new. Others have fit these turbos to the 944 but it is a custom install. We are setting it up to be a bolt-on deal that anyone, anywhere can do. Prices for these turbos is quite high. Most people will overlook a turbo like this and opt for somehign more affordable. However, the people that want the best turbo in existance will buy these and then proceed to reap all the rewards of such an investment. These are the guys that will be blowing by you (not you inparticular G96, I dont want to be misinterperated) at the track and on the street. We plan on doing some more dyno testing in the near future with much higher boost levels. So we will see where we end up. Take care.
Old 03-22-2003, 03:01 AM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tim,

I am just a guy that owns a 944. I have nothing to gain or loose from this......no other motivation than to simply state my experience.

If the trucking firm collected shipping fees from you, then they double billed. I shipped prepaid as we agreed. Please fax me a copy of your payment and I will see that the trucking firm reimburses you. I also have a canceled check.

I had no intention of trading my mill. When SFR found out I had one that I hardly used, SFR proposed the deal. After I shipped, I called you to verify receipt and that everything was acceptable. At the time, you still had my unfinished car. You felt that with a minor tune-up the mill was worth $4,000. I asked you to price the cost of a tune-up and you felt that it would not be more than $200. I agreed to pay "Not to Exceed" $200 and we went forward with the deal. You completed my car. I have been waiting for the invoice from the company that performed this service, as agreed, to know the exact amount due. Once received I will stand behind my word.

I am currently repairing your shoddy work.
Old 03-22-2003, 11:30 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Tim,

I am just a guy that owns a 944. I have nothing to gain or loose from this......no other
motivation than to simply state my experience.

If the trucking firm collected shipping fees from you, then they double billed. I shipped
prepaid as we agreed. Please fax me a copy of your payment and I will see that the
trucking firm reimburses you. I also have a canceled check.

John A. informed me that we did not pay for the shipping. Sorry.

I had no intention of trading my mill. When SFR found out I had one that I hardly used, SFR
proposed the deal.

Lets clear this up.When John found out you had a mill he set the deal up. I took a look at the photos and yes I was all for the deal.

After I shipped, I called you to verify receipt and that everything was
acceptable.

At first glance everything was acceptable.I could overlook the broken handles.However, it was some time before the mill was connected to electricity. It was at this time that I realized I had been screwed. You cant tell the ways and spindle are out of tolerance or that the autofeed doesnt work until you have power!

At the time, you still had my unfinished car. You felt that with a minor tune-up
the mill was worth $4,000.

At first glance it appeared as though the mill was worth $4000. Sitting in the shop with no power it appeared as though it was worth $4000. After turning the unit on, it was very apparent that it was worth no more then $1000.

I asked you to price the cost of a tune-up and you felt that it
would not be more than $200. I agreed to pay "Not to Exceed" $200 and we went forward
with the deal. You completed my car. I have been waiting for the invoice from the company
that performed this service, as agreed, to know the exact amount due. Once received I will
stand behind my word.

I dont recall any prices set forth. I have not sent an invoice because the price to fix the mill is in excess of $1500 and I refused to pay that much for something that should not have needed it in the first place.

I am currently repairing your shoddy work.

What you say keeps getting worse. It is amazing it took one year for this to come out. Actually I am not suprised. It seems as though you two guys in the bay area(Bill and G96) have some sort of grudge against myself. It seems as though your freindship with G96 has grown stronger then ever from the posts I read. It is nice to see friends stick by each other and support each other though.
Old 03-22-2003, 12:53 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Just wanted to mention, that I have complete respect for ALL the tuners...any bashing should be in e-mails, and the final result should be posted on hte board...that why everyone wont see the bitchin goin back and forth

-Regard!
Mike Markota
Old 03-22-2003, 08:24 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

The only thing I can add to this:

The business dealings I have had with Tim i have been 100% satisified.

He helped me get my wastegate installed when I was panicing. He called me right away.

I would not hesitate to do business with him again. I was very pleased with his customer service.

INMO the tuners that I have done business with (SFR and Lindsey) that post here I have been completely satisified with.

-Dana
Old 03-22-2003, 09:41 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It has been my experience that Tim's workmanship and customer service is very good.

Your experience may vary, please drive to the window.

I hope Tim does come up with a super Turbo configuration, as I now think the blue exhaust smoke problem that has plagued me from first start up of the new 2.8 is the New TO4E (not bought from SFR)

Quick Reply: SFR's new turbos