Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What is the best intercooler up-grade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 12:04 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sh944
I am firmly in the "factory did it right" camp. The only improvement that I would look to make on the factory intercooler would be to provide relief venting behind it (ala 968 Turbo RS), which is something I will be doing soon.

The *worst* thing you can do is cut the alleged stock IC inlet restriction off and replace it with something bigger. It WILL NOT FLOW BETTER. Thats not opinion, its fact, and is backed up by a dead dude named Bernoulli who knew what he was talking about. There have been plenty of advances in materials science since the factory IC was designed and built so I am not saying a better IC couldn't be built, but flow dymanics haven't changed and trying to alter inlet speed with a bigger chamber messes EVERYTHING up

If you are pushing 400+rwhp on a track car, a FMIC probably makes some sense. For a street car, you'll get nothing, imo, as it would be the rare occasion that you'll heat soak it, unless like Chris said, you are on the Autobahn.

Fair disclosure, I have done plenty of things on my own cars that have made no sense but I liked it anyway, so if thats your thing, you'll get no argument from me. Have fun!
What if you are pushing 400+ RWHP on a street car?

And drive at Autobahn speeds.. on occasion.. in a simulator...
Old 03-26-2011, 01:06 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Then you should refer to the very last statement I made in that post! lol
Old 03-26-2011, 03:46 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Fair disclosure, I have done plenty of things on my own cars that have made no sense but I liked it anyway, so if thats your thing, you'll get no argument from me. Have fun!
LOL
As far as doing this to one's car .. i.e cutting into the bumper that way ..
I may be having nightmares for the next 2 weeks, after looking at those pictures !!! I'll be the first to admit, I am a bit on the **** side, but jeeezzzee weezzee
Those pictures should have a viewer warning ...
Jon, I feel for ya bud
It's bad enough cutting once, but multiple time yeeks....
The only way I could justify .. No, come to think of it, there is no way .. I was going to use some sexual parody, but could come up with something that was witty enough ...
Maybe for a 1000HP ...
But to each his own ....
Best regards
Ed
Old 03-26-2011, 05:23 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only mod for mine was cut some of the bumper cover away. that's it.

reason i replaced it, was because the original was in poor condition. don't ask how. and it's doing its job
Old 03-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just bought a GT45r turbo, should I upgrade the intercooler?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:14 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Dougs951
Given the size of this turbo and how it should perform on a 2.5 engine, you might actually be fine with deleting the intercooler.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:23 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dougs951
Is this for your NA??
Old 03-27-2011, 01:24 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adwolfe12
To me it seems like there would be and increase in lag since the pipes are extended and the overall size of the intercooler is bigger.

Or is that not really and issue or is it so little that you wouldn't notice it?
You got it right the second time. Calculate the residence time of the intake air (flow rate divided by volume) and you quickly realise that raw volume is not a major contributor to lag.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-27-2011, 01:29 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KSira
Bernoulli states that increasing speed at a certain point will lower the pressure at the same point. I'm a bit rusty a this type of calculation, but I do not understand what benefits introducing a restriction that causes higher overall pressure in the system, and increasing the sped at the inlet of the IC would give. I'd love to have a good excuse for not cutting my IC, so please correct me if I'm wrong
https://rennlist.com/forums/8399160-post12.html

Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-27-2011, 05:53 AM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
EDIT, I agree with you point about even distribution. But increasing flow with a larger turbo would need a redesign for this to have a greater effect than the restriction it is causing.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

You got it right the second time. Calculate the residence time of the intake air (flow rate divided by volume) and you quickly realise that raw volume is not a major contributor to lag.

Cheers,
Mike
Anybody want to guess at the speed the air is travleing through your intercooler pipes at the max air consumption rate? This may freak you out a bit.....

Base it on a 2.5" intercooler pipe and 600cfm (thats about 350rwhp)......
Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

EDIT, I agree with you point about even distribution. But increasing flow with a larger turbo would need a redesign for this to have a greater effect than the restriction it is causing.
What is your proof that there is a restriction? If you are basing your opinion on looking at the outside of the tank, that tells me a lot. I am not flaming you but fluid modeling doesnt work that way.

+1 to mikey, he gets it.

Last edited by User 41221; 03-27-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:56 PM
KSira
Racer

What is your proof that there is a restriction? If you are basing your opinion on looking at the outside of the tank, that tells me a lot. I am not flaming you but fluid modeling doesnt work that way.

+1 to mikey, he gets it.
The area seems to be shrinking, that's a restriction. Why can't you just explain yourself instead of making statements without proof or explanation? Lindsey racing states that another end cap design on the IC is giving and increase in flow an cooling capacity. I'm not saying you are wrong, all I'm saying is that without proof or explanation anyone can make claims of knowledge.

EDIT: Link to Lindsey: http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/951INTCOOL12.html
Old 03-28-2011, 03:32 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

But increasing flow with a larger turbo would need a redesign for this to have a greater effect than the restriction it is causing.
Why can't you just explain yourself instead of making statements without proof or explanation?
Ahem.

Mike
Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 AM
KSira
Racer

Ahem.

Mike
This was meant as a question not a statement, my bad (and my statement of agreeing with you was meant to be a" what you say makes sense"), and besides it is taken out of context. Why don't you get of you high horse and start backing up your claims with facts and references. It should be easy to explain the benefits of the stock IC intake claimed by you and sh944 unless you actually do not know what your talking about. Instead your only giving half explanations and references without any meaning. I have given you a reference to Lindsey racing claiming other results than you, and my questioning about Bernoulli was easily ignored and replaced with "I now what I'm talking about you don't" post. Prove why the intake is better left untouched, and by proof I mean references to test data or fluid dynamic calculation

Last edited by KSira; 03-28-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: What is the best intercooler up-grade?