Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What is the best intercooler up-grade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:10 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
the benefits of any intercooler upgrade on for a street car are pretty questionable unless you live close to the autobahn.
"Unless"?
I would have thought the stock IC would actually perform well enough if fed with fresh air at high enough speeds?
Old 03-25-2011, 01:06 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

I am firmly in the "factory did it right" camp. The only improvement that I would look to make on the factory intercooler would be to provide relief venting behind it (ala 968 Turbo RS), which is something I will be doing soon.

The *worst* thing you can do is cut the alleged stock IC inlet restriction off and replace it with something bigger. It WILL NOT FLOW BETTER. Thats not opinion, its fact, and is backed up by a dead dude named Bernoulli who knew what he was talking about. There have been plenty of advances in materials science since the factory IC was designed and built so I am not saying a better IC couldn't be built, but flow dymanics haven't changed and trying to alter inlet speed with a bigger chamber messes EVERYTHING up

If you are pushing 400+rwhp on a track car, a FMIC probably makes some sense. For a street car, you'll get nothing, imo, as it would be the rare occasion that you'll heat soak it, unless like Chris said, you are on the Autobahn.

Fair disclosure, I have done plenty of things on my own cars that have made no sense but I liked it anyway, so if thats your thing, you'll get no argument from me. Have fun!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually the front mount on my car was installed the 'correct' way as per Tim when i realized what the issue was (core sits under the rad support rather than infront as i was told). Even with the core sitting like this it will still require cutting the bumper bar (though not as much as i had to originally) and it still rests right up against the bumper cover. So the risk of damage is still all there.

Personally i am not worried about it.. plenty of cars running around with front mounts on them, both factory and aftermarket. As long as your not aiming for stuff on the road i dont see what the issue is. If i was worried about getting into an accident everywhere i would be driving a tank.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

With the stock IC I thought of modifying the hood to fit an air extractor but to do that correctly the hood latch mecanism would have to be relocated somewhere else as it's just in the worst place...
Old 03-25-2011, 01:37 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Actually the front mount on my car was installed the 'correct' way as per Tim when i realized what the issue was (core sits under the rad support rather than infront as i was told). Even with the core sitting like this it will still require cutting the bumper bar (though not as much as i had to originally) and it still rests right up against the bumper cover. So the risk of damage is still all there.

Personally i am not worried about it.. plenty of cars running around with front mounts on them, both factory and aftermarket. As long as your not aiming for stuff on the road i dont see what the issue is. If i was worried about getting into an accident everywhere i would be driving a tank.

Its not so much "getting into an accident". Even having someone inadvertently back into you in a parking lot happens. Our cars sit very low, and aren't easy to see if the other driver is in the mandatory SUV or minivan. I've had my bumper pushed in 3 times (twice during 1 trip to SoCal), and my fender creased once....all from parking my car at the back of the lot where I thought no one would be around it.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:19 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

FYI, this section will cut out WAY easier and quicker than the bumper bar. about 15 seconds per side with the demo saw, and you can make a new brace to keep the rails apart like that V8 swap one. that way bumper effectiveness is not compromised and you can bring the FMIC further back, sparing it from more crash damage. not to mention removal of this piece allows for more air to flow through the IC than if it were still there
Attached Images  
Old 03-25-2011, 02:23 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

posted this to help what i said above; note how thick the front body crossmember is, you could move the IC back about 3 or 4 inches with that sheetmetal removed. plus you can see in this picture that the sheetmetal there blocks the top rows from having air through them rendering them almost useless.

plus moving it back means shorter pipes on inlet and outlet which means less volume to fill and less lag

less sheetmetal (actually somewhat hefty for a sheetmetal piece) and less piping also means less weight
Old 03-25-2011, 02:32 PM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
I am firmly in the "factory did it right" camp. The only improvement that I would look to make on the factory intercooler would be to provide relief venting behind it (ala 968 Turbo RS), which is something I will be doing soon.

The *worst* thing you can do is cut the alleged stock IC inlet restriction off and replace it with something bigger. It WILL NOT FLOW BETTER. Thats not opinion, its fact, and is backed up by a dead dude named Bernoulli who knew what he was talking about. There have been plenty of advances in materials science since the factory IC was designed and built so I am not saying a better IC couldn't be built, but flow dymanics haven't changed and trying to alter inlet speed with a bigger chamber messes EVERYTHING up

If you are pushing 400+rwhp on a track car, a FMIC probably makes some sense. For a street car, you'll get nothing, imo, as it would be the rare occasion that you'll heat soak it, unless like Chris said, you are on the Autobahn.

Fair disclosure, I have done plenty of things on my own cars that have made no sense but I liked it anyway, so if thats your thing, you'll get no argument from me. Have fun!
Bernoulli states that increasing speed at a certain point will lower the pressure at the same point. I'm a bit rusty a this type of calculation, but I do not understand what benefits introducing a restriction that causes higher overall pressure in the system, and increasing the sped at the inlet of the IC would give. I'd love to have a good excuse for not cutting my IC, so please correct me if I'm wrong
Old 03-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

If you want the best flow then just by pass the intercooler with a straight pipe.
The purpose of the intercooler is to exchange the heat from the intake charge to the atmosphere. To exchange the heat in the best manner you need to have the correct flow speed and distribution inside the intercooler – this is needed for optimum contact time in the bar and plate style heat exchanger. If you have a larger intercooler you may be flowing most of the hot air through a small part of the intercooler – the hot air will follow the path of least resistance, it has no regard for the most effect heat transfer.

If the designer of an intercooler was a good engineer he/she would take all this into account when designing the end tanks. Distribution is not straight forward and many of the aftermarket intercoolers are not designed for maximum thermal transfer- just max size and bling.

I would not be surprised if the calculations for max transfer of heat include the need for a small pressure drop to get the right distribution of the flow.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:13 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Installing a front mount intercooler that stands in free air is not going to gain you much over a properly ducted factory setup. My experience with intercoolers is slightly odd in that I had the factory IC on my 968 to start with but it was mounted in a strange way down low like a front mount. Needless to say it did not work well and with Motec I could log the intake temps and see them rising on each full throttle gear change. I then went to a UK vendors radiator & intercooler setup designed for SC 968's and that was just as bad. Finally designed my own fairly large front mount with a coarse 60mm core to flow lots of air through to the rad, tucked it tight up against the rad and made use of the 968 radiator airflow duct. Sure enough it works perfectly with intake temps on a hard run never going more than 10 - 15 degrees C above ambient. The other important factor for me was not to effect coolant temps and it seems to work well so far although I have yet to test it on track.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:18 PM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
If you want the best flow then just by pass the intercooler with a straight pipe.
The purpose of the intercooler is to exchange the heat from the intake charge to the atmosphere. To exchange the heat in the best manner you need to have the correct flow speed and distribution inside the intercooler – this is needed for optimum contact time in the bar and plate style heat exchanger. If you have a larger intercooler you may be flowing most of the hot air through a small part of the intercooler – the hot air will follow the path of least resistance, it has no regard for the most effect heat transfer.

If the designer of an intercooler was a good engineer he/she would take all this into account when designing the end tanks. Distribution is not straight forward and many of the aftermarket intercoolers are not designed for maximum thermal transfer- just max size and bling.

I would not be surprised if the calculations for max transfer of heat include the need for a small pressure drop to get the right distribution of the flow.
That is an interesting thought, however I'll not buy it without any hard facts What's interesting is what happens when you put on a much bigger turbo, which is the case for 99% of the people tuning a 951. Whatever reason or calculations that where used for making the IC intake like it is, would probably be invalid anyway
Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since this thread has changed to an insurance/tow away thread, it comes out basically to the same price you will spend on a standalone ECU and eliminate the flowmeter...
Old 03-25-2011, 06:32 PM
adwolfe12
Racer

To me it seems like there would be and increase in lag since the pipes are extended and the overall size of the intercooler is bigger.

Or is that not really and issue or is it so little that you wouldn't notice it?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Dr. Dynamics
Pro

I tried out a SFR FMIC in another 951 and there wasnt any lag that you could notice present. As a + You could notice some improvement in EGTs
Old 03-25-2011, 06:57 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh,Oh I know.,I know,...large front mount inter cooler's..cause accidents!

Quick Reply: What is the best intercooler up-grade?