What is the best intercooler up-grade?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:50 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by m73m95

Its kinda funny now....that its fixed... but those pics aren't funny.

Can't believe it wasn't totaled (was it?). A co-worker backed into my passenger fender and dented it, and State Farm almost totaled my car . Apparently $1600 is what State Farm thinks my car is worth...
turns out that the reason the policy was so cheap (then-20YO, in riverside, in a porsche) was because it wasn't on a collision policy so if i crashed...woops. there was no 'totaling' process because there was no declared value on the car; essentially, they were covering me for medical costs, car damage isnt their problem.

Last edited by V2Rocket; 06-19-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So you still have a broken neck, but a fixed car?

wait... don't post that on a public forum! lol
Old 03-25-2011, 01:55 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by mclarenno9
How often are you getting hit and how important is it to you that you are able to drive your car home after an accident? I just don't see how that should be a primary consideration when buying a part such as this?

Please get agreed value insurance on your car... it is worth the investment and for as much as most of us drive our cars, its not really an issue (usually they limit yearly mileage and usage). It's well worth the peace of mind.
definitely crashing is not something you plan to do but it does help to plan for it.

the thing is, your insurance inspector guy might raise an eyebrow if he sees that your bumper has notches cut out of it for your IC pipes to go through...that could change the agreed value that you get paid out for your car, they will look for anything suspect to not have to pay you. and if he does, then youre out about 1k for the intercooler plus who knows what your repair costs will be due to 'safety modifications'
Old 03-25-2011, 02:11 AM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mclarenno9
How often are you getting hit and how important is it to you that you are able to drive your car home after an accident? I just don't see how that should be a primary consideration when buying a part such as this?

Please get agreed value insurance on your car... it is worth the investment and for as much as most of us drive our cars, its not really an issue (usually they limit yearly mileage and usage). It's well worth the peace of mind.
That's kind of my point.

If you have a track car, or a weekend car, that you want maximum power out of, then by all means, get the FMIC.

For me, my car is not only my DD, it is my only car. If it costs me 5hp to be a bit more road worthy, then that is a sacrifice I am completely willing to make. If I should happen to get hit (Or I hit someone), I need my car back up and running ASAP....insurance or not.

For the OP, it all depends on what you want from your car. This is my reasoning for not getting the FMIC. If you want the peak of what is possible with the 951, then by all means get it. Las Vegas drivers are absolutely insane, so I like having a little safety factor built in, even if it costs me a few HP. Maybe I get hit sometime, and maybe I don't. Its the same thing as having insurance. Its there if you need it...or in this case, its not there, in case I need it.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:27 AM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
the thing is, your insurance inspector guy might raise an eyebrow if he sees that your bumper has notches cut out of it for your IC pipes to go through...that could change the agreed value that you get paid out for your car, they will look for anything suspect to not have to pay you. and if he does, then youre out about 1k for the intercooler plus who knows what your repair costs will be due to 'safety modifications'
Point taken. I don't think I would have gone through all the heartburn Jon did to install that SFR unit... cutting the bumper support and such. I was assuming it would stay intact in most cases.

That's kind of my point.

If you have a track car, or a weekend car, that you want maximum power out of, then by all means, get the FMIC.

For me, my car is not only my DD, it is my only car. If it costs me 5hp to be a bit more road worthy, then that is a sacrifice I am completely willing to make. If I should happen to get hit (Or I hit someone), I need my car back up and running ASAP....insurance or not.
I understand where you are coming from. I was afraid to drive my car anywhere when I had just bought it (17).

Back to the OP... what mods do you have so far? I wouldn't consider an intercooler to be low hanging fruit on the "hp/$$$ based upgrade tree"... most don't consider an upgrade until 350 whp and beyond, as its not a huge bottleneck, the stock IC is quite capable.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:13 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I went nowhere near the hassle Jon/Techno Duck went through when I installed the SFR front mount IC, as I asked Tim at SFR to supply me with 2.25" piping instead of 2.5".
Though I got no clearance issue with 2.25" piping I realised how much of a pig of a job it would be to use 2.5" piping, as things look quite tight.
The install took me a couple of hours, and apart from trimming the bumper and the stock IC brackets it didn't require any "nasty" modifying of the shell or the cross brace.
I will install an IAT sensor soon so I should be able to measure how effective this IC is, at least put it in perspective with my engine set up.

The only annoying detail with the install is that one of the coupler supplied, the one between the IC exit pipe to the throttle body IC pipe is too short, I had the same problem as Jon.

Last edited by Thom; 03-25-2011 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on "what mods do you have so far". The OP sounded like he may be starting down "mod path hell", and needs ideas. What sayeth ye?
Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Well we have always assumed you Americans park by braile so perhaps this is an area of concern?

hehe no really, someone should sell a bumper to go with the front mounts that is already compliant with the i/c. Wouldn't be expensive to produce and it would probably cut down on installation time and just be a nicer fit. My front bumper had to be ground away also.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:00 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
definitely crashing is not something you plan to do but it does help to plan for it.

And that is why the prudent Porsche owner HAS collision coverage, excessive agreed value, or sky high riders on their pollicy to prevent the NEED to drive a car home should it be damaged, and NO part of the agreed value process (in modified cars) is the insurance company restricting the use of the car, or surveying its condition care and feeding.

In my case, all 3 of the above apply to all my vehicles, as not only do I take care of the cars, but my kids ride in them.. I pay more a year in insurance premiums than some peoples cars are worth, but I happily do so. I recently had a 10MPH accident resulting in the total loss of my Audi, this resulted in a payout to me of almost double the book value of the car because of the coverage... and the accident was MY fault.. In my case, the cost of the pollicy covered itself, and then some!

That's kind of my point.

For the OP, it all depends on what you want from your car. This is my reasoning for not getting the FMIC. If you want the peak of what is possible with the 951, then by all means get it. Las Vegas drivers are absolutely insane, so I like having a little safety factor built in, even if it costs me a few HP. Maybe I get hit sometime, and maybe I don't. Its the same thing as having insurance. Its there if you need it...or in this case, its not there, in case I need it.
Please read above, installation of the SFR (or any for that matter) FMIC SHOULD have zero affect on the drivability, survivability, or insurance valuation of the car!

Jons install was NOT typical, as he pointed out in his own thread he didn't install it as it was intended to be installed. HIS modifications are not required to install the FMIC as it is intended to be installed, and has been installed by many folks here... Simmilarly, MY install is not, will not be, and was never intended to be for everyone.. it is for me.

Originally Posted by Thom
I went nowhere near the hassle Jon/Techno Duck went through when I installed the SFR front mount IC, as I asked Tim at SFR to supply me with 2.25" piping instead of 2.5".
Though I got no clearance issue with 2.25" piping I realised how much of a pig of a job it would be to use 2.5" piping, as things look quite tight.
The install took me a couple of hours, and apart from trimming the bumper and the stock IC brackets it didn't require any "nasty" modifying of the shell or the cross brace.
I will install an IAT sensor soon so I should be able to measure how effective this IC is, at least put it in perspective with my engine set up.

The only annoying detail with the install is that one of the coupler supplied, the one between the IC exit pipe to the throttle body IC pipe is too short, I had the same problem as Jon.
Thank you Thom, and I can say, it CAN be installed using the 2.5 tubing without major modifications.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Back to the original question…

Even though I like modifying engines as much (probably more) than the next guy – the benefits of any intercooler upgrade on for a street car are pretty questionable unless you live close to the autobahn. The stock intercooler does a pretty good job and any decently modified street car won’t run full boost for more than 10-15 seconds at a time (my street 951 does 0-100 in 10 seconds).

Track cars are a completely different situation….and pretty much by definition a turbo cab is not going to be a track car!

BTW – my 968 cab with a 3l 16v turbo will be running a stock 951 intercooler. Easier to mount and its best to spend your money on things that make a difference.

BTW part 2 – I would like to recommend to anyone running a modified 951 that cell phone and AAA is a good idea. Even I use that combo on occasion (no spare tire – it won’t fit over big reds.). You can ask for a roll back and you get 100 miles of towing with the gold level. You can use it to transport your car anytime you want – if you wanted to get a roll back to have your car shipped to the shop from your driveway you can do that – even if there is nothing wrong with your car! Note – my 951 has never been towed – but I won’t’ fool myself thinking that it can’t happen – my Mini did get flat bedded home after the Alternator / supercharger belt broke. The electric power steering pump will kill the battery in 10 miles!
Old 03-25-2011, 09:34 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris White
Back to the original question…

Even though I like modifying engines as much (probably more) than the next guy – the benefits of any intercooler upgrade on for a street car are pretty questionable unless you live close to the autobahn. The stock intercooler does a pretty good job and any decently modified street car won’t run full boost for more than 10-15 seconds at a time (my street 951 does 0-100 in 10 seconds).

Track cars are a completely different situation….and pretty much by definition a turbo cab is not going to be a track car!

BTW – my 968 cab with a 3l 16v turbo will be running a stock 951 intercooler. Easier to mount and its best to spend your money on things that make a difference.

BTW part 2 – I would like to recommend to anyone running a modified 951 that cell phone and AAA is a good idea. Even I use that combo on occasion (no spare tire – it won’t fit over big reds.). You can ask for a roll back and you get 100 miles of towing with the gold level. You can use it to transport your car anytime you want – if you wanted to get a roll back to have your car shipped to the shop from your driveway you can do that – even if there is nothing wrong with your car! Note – my 951 has never been towed – but I won’t’ fool myself thinking that it can’t happen – my Mini did get flat bedded home after the Alternator / supercharger belt broke. The electric power steering pump will kill the battery in 10 miles!
But then how would I get a big smiley face right behind my bumper grill?

I have the roadside assistance on my auto policys... 0 deductable, and will even send gas if you run out, I have used this 3 times, 1 when my rubber clutch detonated in my 944, one when my Audi ( broken gas gauge) ran out of gas, and one when my Durango battery gave up teh ghost in a shopping center parking lot.. a phone call is all it takes...

Old 03-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or AARP if you qualify for that, my dad got a free 95 mile one way tow when the van broke a spark plug.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Please read above, installation of the SFR (or any for that matter) FMIC SHOULD have zero affect on the drivability, survivability, or insurance valuation of the car!
I would be surprised if Denmark regulations/insurance authorised any sort of mods. It just isn't in the Danish culture, at least my friends up there have mostly been estranged to this. Add to this insane levels of local taxation on cars and in the 20 years or so as an occasional tourist up there I have never ever seen a danish-registered road car that would suggest it has been modified in any way.

In my case I would say that the SFR front mount intercooler has had a slight impact on how the car drives.
I noticed right away a slightly heavier nose/steering after the install. I do not think the SFR set up actually weighs more than the stock set up, but the core is located further away from the front axle and sits lower than the stock IC.
The difference is not significant though - as soon as the second drive I had forgotten how the car drove with the stock intercooler.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:27 AM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well there is this:
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0578&P=1
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Have anyone measured or experienced any benefits using a big FMIC? The stock IC has a very good ducting and will be highly effective on a track or driving at high speed. So the question is how much is there to gain even on a track car. Assuming that the stock IC intake restriction is removed.

Quick Reply: What is the best intercooler up-grade?