Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

89 turbo brake pad for heavy street use

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:34 PM
hansman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
I put the PBR ultimates on last Sunday that I got from Paragon. They installed easy and are very quiet with good bite. Less than 100 miles on them now, but all looks good. I went ahead and replaced all four, even though my backs were new. At least I have a matched pair still. I used no shims at all. The PBR's come with a "shim" attached from the factory. I sprayed a little CRC brake quiet on the backs before installation. I broke in per instructions on box. I did not turn rotors per instruction from Paragon. Here are some pics with part numbers:
Thanks for the response
Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had these on an E36 and loved them for street driving, especially for the price. If the PO hadn't put brand new Mintex pads on all around (but left the dead rotors and collapsing lines... thanks PO... ***) I would have a set on the 951.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:33 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your welcome.

Yes, the price is amazing, all four delivered for under a $100.00!!! Hard to beat that!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used PBR on my NA before, but for street use on a 951 you really can't beat what the Dr. ordered.

Like docwyte said: OE Textar pads and shims. Porsche -There is no substitute.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Djbrand1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going from Pagid Blacks to PBR metal masters on the street the difference is startling. Even though Pagids are a track pad they have a much better bite and overall feel even when cold compared to the metal masters. I guess they better for being like 450 for all four.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hawk HP+ stop the car ('89 S2). A little noisy and dusty but I'll accept that for good performance.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:37 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Very disappointing sound for me tonight pulling into garage, screech! Damn, thought I was done. Scratch PBR Ultimates off the list for not being noisy. I don't care how fast they stop my daily driver, I don't want to be embarrassed going to the club with hot chicks all around parking my car and SCREECH!!! You look like an idiot who doesn't take care of his car. I wonder if the cross drilling has any impact on the noise? Guess I will put the old crappy pads back on for now, at least they are quite, just nearly worn out. Now that I just wrote that, wonder if thickness plays a part as well. All three of the noise makers are brand new.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:43 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have the occasional squeak on my E36 with the ultimates, usually when it was cold out and after not using them for a while (highway off ramps, etc.).

I know that the pads on my car have never made a peep and they have ~4000 miles on them. I'll yank em tomorrow and double check, but I'm fairly certain they're Mintex pads. Have you tried Mintex? I've got solid rotors, dunno if that makes a difference.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:38 PM
Djbrand1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also make sure you bed them in.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:28 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I broke them in according to the instructions on the box, ten consectutive 40-10 stops with 1/4 mile interval between stops. Also went out on the freeway and made some 100-60 stops. These are behaving just as the Mintex and Pagid pads did. They work great as long as your pounding on them and have no noise. All three squeal like crazy if you baby them. However, when you are in heavy traffic all the time and pulling into and out of parking lots, you can't be laying hard into the brakes all the time. I think it is somehting to do with the ceramic option, the next set I buy will definitely not have any ceramic component.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by Scott H
I would have the occasional squeak on my E36 with the ultimates, usually when it was cold out and after not using them for a while (highway off ramps, etc.).

I know that the pads on my car have never made a peep and they have ~4000 miles on them. I'll yank em tomorrow and double check, but I'm fairly certain they're Mintex pads. Have you tried Mintex? I've got solid rotors, dunno if that makes a difference.
The first set I tried were Mintex. I am wondering as well about the cross drilling. My rears are solid and they are quite.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:15 PM
hansman
Instructor

wow...
I just installed the PBR Metal masters they always stopped like **** but never squealed.
I have the same problem you are having
I am thinking of a similar bed in as you performed.
getting ready to break the in for the 1st time,............

I will keep you posted URG8RB8
Old 04-17-2011, 03:19 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by hansman
wow...
I just installed the PBR Metal masters they always stopped like **** but never squealed.
I have the same problem you are having
I am thinking of a similar bed in as you performed.
getting ready to break the in for the 1st time,............

I will keep you posted URG8RB8
Did you buy the metal masters or the ultimates? There is a difference. I would think the metal masters would be less prone to squeal as they are not a ceramic compound. Do you have solid or cross drilled/slotted rotors? Were the rotors turned, new, or just pad replacement? Thanks, just trying to get exact comparison.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:20 PM
hansman
Instructor

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Did you buy the metal masters or the ultimates? There is a difference. I would think the metal masters would be less prone to squeal as they are not a ceramic compound. Do you have solid or cross drilled/slotted rotors? Were the rotors turned, new, or just pad replacement? Thanks, just trying to get exact comparison.
metal masters
Zimmerman cross drilled
I used them on my 86 951 they NEVER squeeled
btw these have less than 2k miles on them so no I did not turn them
Old 04-17-2011, 03:23 PM
hansman
Instructor

too bad you are not closer to San Diego we could compare different things easily!
Ill be back in a few gonna go run em in

Quick Reply: 89 turbo brake pad for heavy street use