Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

89 turbo brake pad for heavy street use

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 AM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Pagid blues for street/DE use on my '89 951.
I have a set of brand new factory shims if you're interested.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by hansman
I am leaning towards a set of PBR....\\\

maybe a set of shims
maybe I give that green **** a try
LOL
If you find them, shoot me a PM I would be interested in seeing if they are still available
Thanks
Regards
Ed
Old 03-29-2011, 10:31 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 351 Posts

No, but the OP asked for street pads that are quiet. PF97's are neither. Plus they rip your rotors apart if they're not up to temp and stop like crap in the cold.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:04 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just ordered a set of PBR Ultimates from Paragon, I will let you know how they are next week. I have the shims you pictured on a set of Pagid black or blues and they squeal like a pig on the street at every stop light and parking lot. I hate getting looked at, like I am an idiot, so they are coming off. Jason at Paragon said the ultimates are good for normal to spirited street driving, are low on dust and noise free. Under a hundred shipped for all four corners. Hard to beat if they work as described.

I have EBC Yellows on my FL car and like those alot. They bite hard and make no noise, but are a little dusty compared to the EBC Reds I had previously. Three times the cost though. Life is all about choices,
Old 03-30-2011, 04:07 PM
hansman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so what the heck is everyone using for shims???????????
Old 03-31-2011, 07:15 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hansman
so what the heck is everyone using for shims???????????
I'm using the stock individual shims (8) fron the 928 GTS on my 86 with big reds and Hawk HP+. Pretty quiet until the dust builds up. To be honest, it's too much pad for a street only car (18 x 9 w/245/40/18) but the big reds are a bit excessive as well. They're a nice compromise for DE days when running sticky tires and still driving it home.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:17 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I think he just meant that the pads operate at a different temp to become effective, and that unless your tearing up you neighborhood, the pads will not work as they were designed for
Regards
Ed
I've driven with them extensively on the street. While they don't have nearly as much braking force while cold, they're still marginally better than normal street pads even at those temperatures. Come up to temperature pretty quickly, too.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:59 AM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm using PBR metal masters with no shims. They make no noise and almost no dust. I've never experienced any brake fade, but also have yet to use the brakes to a point that I would expect it to be an issue.
I came off of Hawk blacks, that were on the car when I bought it. They were horrible on the street. Since they never came up to temperature, they squealed horribly, produced a ridiculous amount of dust, didn't grip well at all and destroyed the rotors. I could wash the car, make a round trip to the store that only involved a dozen 25mph to 40mph stops total. When home, I could wipe my finger across the paint behind the front wheel and leave a very noticeable clean streak. I would also get rust on the wheels from the amount of rotor material being removed. So I guess, basically I would not recommend using a track type pad on the street.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:36 AM
hansman
Instructor

They were my pads on my 86 951 never squealed.
I am thinking of going with PBR Metal master
No shim
Old 04-01-2011, 11:38 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
I came off of Hawk blacks, that were on the car when I bought it. They were horrible on the street. Since they never came up to temperature, they squealed horribly, produced a ridiculous amount of dust, didn't grip well at all and destroyed the rotors. I could wash the car, make a round trip to the store that only involved a dozen 25mph to 40mph stops total. When home, I could wipe my finger across the paint behind the front wheel and leave a very noticeable clean streak. I would also get rust on the wheels from the amount of rotor material being removed. So I guess, basically I would not recommend using a track type pad on the street.
I had the same experience with Hawk Blues.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

I appreciate this thread...only playing with these cars a little over a year this type of discussion helps me a lot. Sorry the OP struggled with getting the direct answer he asked for on the shims.

The Hawk HP's I run squeal and produce a lot of dust. I mainly do spirited street driving, maybe a TT or two this year (one last year). I'm thinking the PBR's may be a better choice.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:36 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with Carbotech's 1521's all around when I replaced everything...

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.asp

Love them. Quiet as a mouse, very low dust, and grip like crazy.

I worked with Mike Puskar - extremely helpful: jr@ctbrakes.com

I have the big brake kit on my car - here's what I ended up using:

'89-'91 944T front and rear brakes - The front is the CT609-1521 and the rear is the CT345-1521, they are $147 and $141.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:09 PM
hansman
Instructor

Originally Posted by choinga
I went with Carbotech's 1521's all around when I replaced everything...

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.asp

Love them. Quiet as a mouse, very low dust, and grip like crazy.

I worked with Mike Puskar - extremely helpful: jr@ctbrakes.com

I have the big brake kit on my car - here's what I ended up using:

'89-'91 944T front and rear brakes - The front is the CT609-1521 and the rear is the CT345-1521, they are $147 and $141.
Do they squeel?
Also, did you put shims on on just the pads?
Old 04-01-2011, 06:50 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They don't squeal at all - I used a little brake pad grease on the backs of all them before putting them in that I picked up at Autozone...

I don't know anything about these shims (especially from the previous picture of two chunks of metal) - do you mean some kind of shim that goes on the back of the pad - no. I sent Mike pics of my calipers / pads and the part # on the back of the Pagid pads that I pulled out and he sent me ones that fit right in there.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:29 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I put the PBR ultimates on last Sunday that I got from Paragon. They installed easy and are very quiet with good bite. Less than 100 miles on them now, but all looks good. I went ahead and replaced all four, even though my backs were new. At least I have a matched pair still. I used no shims at all. The PBR's come with a "shim" attached from the factory. I sprayed a little CRC brake quiet on the backs before installation. I broke in per instructions on box. I did not turn rotors per instruction from Paragon. Here are some pics with part numbers:
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: 89 turbo brake pad for heavy street use