Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Buying a modified 951?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2001, 03:21 PM
hanfrac
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Buying a modified 951?

I've been communicating with the seller of an '86 951 with 103k miles where he had the engine rebuilt and extensively modified within the past 4000 miles. He believes the car deliver over 330 hp. It was a $12k rebuild, at which time the clutch, belts, etc. were all replaced. There isn't a comprehensive service history, but the owner claims that all common failure points were addressed in the rebuild.

When he bought the car, his PPI didn't discover low compression and cylinder wall damage - hence the rebuild.

I have not seen the car yet, but it is reprsented as being in very good cosmetic condition. Current owner sounds reasonable and is selling due to financial difficult. It's selling around $15k.

Does this sound like a great find or a car to be scared of? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2001, 03:50 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is certainly a car to be cautious about if that is 330hp to the wheels and you want a motor that will last awhile. Find out exactly what he did to upgrade and get that alleged HP. No doubt an aftermarket turbo, what boost level, what was done to the head, rod bearing lube and oil considerations. And many other items. Plus, I think it is hard to get that much HP and keep the car running properly without a new engine management system as I assume you want to drive this on the street. Also, what is the displacement, i.e. did he stroke and/or overbore it? Turbo Tim would be someone to talk to since he has been through about all the nightmares you can think of in search of higher HP.

EDIT: I see Minh Pho responded and it may be his car. If Garrity did the engine that would make me feel a lot better about things.
Old 11-22-2001, 03:54 PM
Minh Pho
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi hanfranc,

I think the car you are refering to is mine. Before you can get opinions though, I feel that my car needs to be properly represented. The car is an 87 951, 103000 miles on the clock, rebuilt at 100000 miles. The block was sleeved to 2.7L by Garrity. The oil passages have been improved and piston oil squirters were installed. It has custom Mahle pistons that have been coated on the crown with a thermal barrier coatings. The connecting rods are the forged variety from a 1986 turbo and held together by ARP bolts. Currently it has a Turbonetics turbo (I belive a t04e 56 trim) with custom intercooler piped made by Vision motorsports. By next week or when it is sold, the car will also have 50 lb/hr injectors, Tial wastegate, manual boost controller, 930 blowoff and Steve R chips that are better suited to the mods that I have (currently it has APE chips...these will be for sale shortly.) This is just the engine. As far as the rest of the car, there are no dash cracks and no tears in the leather. For pictures, you can go to http://www.csi4jobs.com/pics/porsche...e944turbo.html Thanks for listening. hanfranc, I also think you may get a better reponse from the general 944 board (the turbo one gets far less traffic)
Old 11-22-2001, 04:17 PM
Minh Pho
Advanced

Forgot to say. The clutch was also replaced less than 3000 miles ago and upgraded to a turbo cup clutch. As a side note, the car has not seen anything over 12 psi of boost since the rebuild (the reason why the wastegate will get upgraded) but should hit 18 psi reliably after. Thanks again.

Minh
Old 11-23-2001, 05:16 PM
Minh Pho
Advanced

Anyone? No opinions? I won't be offended.

Minh
Old 11-23-2001, 05:39 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 983 Likes on 509 Posts
All I can say is wish that the PO of my 86 had used a Garrity built engine. 12 hrs. on the clock and it is toast, was toast from minute 1. I wouldn't worry about a Garrity built engine as long as the owner had followed the break in procedure.
Old 11-24-2001, 02:30 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Never had a rebuild, but I intend to use Garrity when I do mine in the near future. I'm a little skeptical about boring normally, but am planning to get a 3.0L from Garrity by using the 968 crank to get to 2.8 and then a little bore for the other .2L. Garrity is a great machinest, and is conservative when doing mods, to make sure he has a long lasting engine- he is also a very honest person, which seems to be VERY difficult to find among the Porsche world. I only wish I had listened to him a little more closely awhile back, and I'm sure I wouldn't be nearly as bad off as I am now...

Minh, I would love to hear a little more about your car, and how it compares to others in the real world. I'm going to try to look up the link you left, and may try to e-mail you w/a few questions if you don't mind(?). Do you have any stories of cars you've gone up against (street or track) that you can share, to give those of us who want to do similar things to our motors, an idea of where we can end up?

Quick Reply: Buying a modified 951?