Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Kokeln turbochargers

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 01:32 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Is that at full throttle? what weight? thx Danno,

I've got pretty much the same experience as GrantG. I saw that low oil-pressure at full-throttle. At idle loping around the pits, it was in the 2.5-bar range. I was using Mobil-1 15w-50 oil. I'm going to attach an oil-temp gauge to monitor this... (oil-cooler upgrade is next!).
Old 08-31-2002, 07:30 PM
GaryK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grant's car and mine are very similar and I had the same results with the same oil cooler from KISS - higher oil pressure and lower water temps. I use Redline 50wt (15w-50) racing oil, and start each session with about 1/2qt over full.

I'm considering a turbo rebuild or swap this winter, so this discussion of oil-cooled turbos interests me. Checked for leaks, etc (thanks, Danno) and with my wastegate line plugged off, I'm getting only 15psi with a K27/6, which actually dropped to about 13psi after many hard laps. Excessive exhaust gas reversion, intercooler heat soaking, worn turbo - something's going on. Wasn't your K27/DR behaving similarly, Grant?

(Fun day at the track yesterday, Grant; you should sign up for the Z car event next Sat)
Old 08-31-2002, 09:48 PM
cavetblack
7th Gear

I recently upgraded to the Kokeln Turbo...It is very good. I basically have the 363 kit, but I did not get the cam... I am at 285 RWHP with 15 lbs of boost..A little lower than I hoped but very good....

Before I upgraded the turbo, I had the K27/6 with the water cooling... I had very hot oil temps...240 degrees at Seca on a not so hot day. WHen I installed the Kokeln turbo, I also added an Earl's oil cooler to the front of my car. Its 11" high by 14" wide (overall dimensions)... I also added a remote filter. The cooler mounts in front of the radiator (no a/c) and works great. On a hot day at Thunderhill (in July) 97 degrees ambient (100+ on the track) My oil temp did not exceed 215 degrees and stayed at 4.5-5.0 bar...

Another reason I went with Kokeln was they stock their parts, same day shipping.. SPeedforce said I had to order it then they would built it, then ship it...No thank you... If I buy, I want it shipped. I also had no problem getting tech support.... The new injectors were running very rich and they walked me through the air meter adjustment over the phone...Excellent...

I also dont like to call a place for high performance parts and get the person working their (or the owner) to answer a cell phone...Again, this makes me nervous.

I recommend Kokeln highly and if you live in Ca., you can order from Lindsey Racing and not pay any sales tax...

Just one man's opinion...
Old 09-01-2002, 02:23 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Another reason I went with Kokeln was they stock their parts, same day shipping..
SPeedforce said I had to order it then they would built it, then ship it...No thank
you... If I buy, I want it shipped.

That is how it is if you want a custom turbo built around your needs. If you want the same turbo that everyone else gets, then you can usually get those shipped the same day. Unfortunately you will be stuck with the compressor A/R, compressor trim, turbine trim and hotside A/R that they choose. This could be great for a big track with a lot of straights but what about the small track with alot of tight corners? Ofcourse this is an example but I think people see the point.

I also dont like to call a place for high performance parts and get the person working
their (or the owner) to answer a cell phone...Again, this makes me nervous.

619-441-1359 is the phone number for SpeedForceRacing. This is a hard line that we pay Pac Bell good money for;^) 619-889-7185 is our cell phone number that allows our customers to reach us when we are not at the shop or when they have an emergency after hours. This might make you nervous but I can tell you that their are scores of people who really have appreciated this when they were in a pinch and no other companies were answering their phone calls. Take care and good luck.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:58 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cavetblack,,what were you clicks on the AFM when you got a good A/F ratio and were they to tighten the spring? Went to the dyno the other day and on the second pull, to be full throttle, wide band O2 craped out!!! If they get it in before my flight Tuesday, we'll try again.

Quick Reply: Kokeln turbochargers