Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: Which Seat Option is Better?
Sparco Milano Prestige/R700
17.65%
996 Factory Blue Leather
29.41%
Neither, if this is selected please provide alternate choice
11.76%
Have 951/993 Sport Seats recovered in matching leather
41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Wanting Opinions on Seat Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:42 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wanting Opinions on Seat Replacement

I am trying to make up my mind between two different seats. These are for my FL car which is Zermatt silver with the navy blue interior. I want added lateral support, while retaining comfort as this is not a track car. I found two options that I like, but am having a hard time choosing. Both are similary priced, but one is used and the other is new aftermarket. I will post some pictures below. I do like the fact that the Sparcos will work with my roll bar and harnesses better than the 996 seats. However, I like the leather on the 996 seats. The Milano Prestige can't be ordered with blue leather, only red, black, and beige. The alcantara options are limited as well, but you can see the blue color below. It is not the correct blue, but is acceptable.
Attached Images    
Old 03-05-2011, 02:32 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mention it's not a track car. If you want to use harnesses, then you really should go with a seat built to use harnesses (like the Sparco). The Porsche seats are also very nice, not as highly bolstered but easier ingress/regress.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:55 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Looking at your mod / sig list my question would be what do you do with this car? If it's not on the track then just go with something comfortable and enough side support. Sparco looks good.

Oh, so you want to run a harness?

Do you have a dyno chart to show the results of all your hard earned money??
Old 03-05-2011, 08:40 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

My FL car has been in pieces for ten years. It is getting close now, but still not running. It is currently at LR in Oklahoma. Been there a long time now, but nearly complete. I have nothing to post on the car now as it is still not running. I installed the roll bar and have harnesses (not installed yet) for that just in case factor. Don't plan on tracking the car, but you never know. I have alot, and yes I mean a ton of money sunk into this car. It will be nice to drive it after such a long time. I have my 25th reunion coming up in July, I would like to drive it there, but don't have my hopes up yet.

I am starting to lean toward the 993 Sport seat recover option now. I have a complete brand new two tone Italian leather interior minus the seats from Robert Budd at Classic 9 leather shop in Michigan. It is simply awesome with all the beautiful stiching. Too bad I don't have any good pics or I would post them. They sent me video instead, which is nice but difficult to post. Robert will recover the 993 Sport seats and add the Porsche Crest to the headrest for $1,500.00. It costs around $350.00 to add seat heaters. This will be in matching two tone to go with the rest of the interior. I am leaning heavily towards this option. After the price of the seats and shipping it will be slightly more than the blue 996 seats and a little cheaper than the Sparco's but be totally custom like the rest of the car. I am sure they will be adequate for the type of driving I plan on doing. I suppose that if I do start tracking the car I can buy a single track only seat GT3 or EVO2 and swap it in and out for track days. Hopefully, I never get this carried away with the CA car, but starting to sink money into it as well. You are supposed to learn as you grow older!!!

Last edited by URG8RB8; 03-06-2011 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Wrong price
Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Sparco Pro2000. LOVE mine! Just gotta get the padding right to suit your preferences, then they're very comfortable.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:23 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Here is a picture Rob sent to me of an interior he recently did for another 951/968 (not sure) which included the sports seats. My interior is based on this design but is Navy blue and slate grey. If the owner of this car is a Rennlister, please chime in. I loved this interior so much, I copied it.
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2011, 12:29 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by JDS968
Sparco Pro2000. LOVE mine! Just gotta get the padding right to suit your preferences, then they're very comfortable.
I have a bad lower back, don't think I could take the Pro2000's on the street. Nice track seat though.

Did I mention the Gator's won the SEC outright tonight, oh that is for another forum.

Trending Topics

Old 03-06-2011, 01:20 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
I have a bad lower back, don't think I could take the Pro2000's on the street.
Like I said, it's all about how you set up the padding. I found mine quite painful on my lower back until I added a lumbar support cushion, and I now find them comfortable for many hours at a stretch on road trips.

But hey, it's whatever makes you happy.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
Here is a picture Rob sent to me of an interior he recently did for another 951/968 (not sure) which included the sports seats. My interior is based on this design but is Navy blue and slate grey. If the owner of this car is a Rennlister, please chime in. I loved this interior so much, I copied it.
That is Gregeast car. He is on rennlist. Those are factory 930/951 sport seats with heat.

I just went through this delima myself. I have a race type seat in my ar and they are just not that comfortable for daily use. Just bought a set of factory heated sport seats to restore and use in the car for more comfort with good side bolsters for track days.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd send the seats out for the matching recover. If not, you'll be reminded of any money saved every time you open the door and get in.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about the rest of the interior? If you recover some seats, they'll look brand new, which may make the rest of the interior look really tired. If you are doing the whole thing, then get them recovered. If the 996 seats are the ones pictured, and they actually match your interior, I'd go for those.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:13 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

I guess some things are lost in translation. I have perfect condition regular seats in the car now. They are power leather '89 951 seats, not sport seats, not heated. I want more lateral support, and also want seat heaters, sorry personal preference there. I have completely redone my interior minus the seats. The dash, door panels, and center console are wrapped in brand new leather. albeit two tone now. At first, I was going to go with the 996/997 or Sparco seats but could not find the correct color. Then I found a pair of 997 seats the correct color, but could not make up my mind between them and the new Sparco seats. Then someone here mentioned recovering 944/930 Sport seats. I had not thought of this option. After looking into the price, it would be along the same area as the two previously mentioned options. I like this better as it will perfectly match the other items all ready in the car. I found a set on E-bay that I think I will buy. Have to get Rob to look at them first, to make sure they are recoverable.
Old 03-07-2011, 01:23 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Just bought a set of 993 sport seats on E-bay. Shipping to Classic9 Leather Shop later today. Should have new matching seats in a month or so with heat and possibly massage. I will post pics when installed. Thanks for all the feed back!
Old 03-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

You may be able to pick up some 997 GT3 seats - there are a few sets available here in the UK for sensible money.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:41 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Default Junk Yard Sport Seats Arrived at the 928Leathershop

Just so people will have an idea of how bad you can start and still get a perfect seat, I wanted to post some "Before" pics. I will post some "After" pics after Robert Budd has performed his magic.

Gone will be the welt seams, replaced with french seams, the center perforated section will be a slate gray Italian perforated leather, and the rest will be the standard navy blue. I am still trying to make up my mind on what color to make the Porsche Crest to be sewn into the headrest. I am thinking contrasting with gray thread on the navy leather, but something tells me to go with blue on blue. Maybe it is time for another poll???
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: Wanting Opinions on Seat Replacement