Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AIR CONDITIONER COMPRESSOR INSTALL QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:04 PM
Clown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR CONDITIONER COMPRESSOR INSTALL QUESTION

Please bear with me...and remember I did not take this engine out of the car I got it that way. I am just putting everything back together.

I have the engine in the vehicle and am hooking everything up. The AC compressor was off engine when I got it. I think I am missing some parts. I have two bolts that attach the top part of compressor to the engine, that is it.

I am assuming I am missing another long bolt and some kind that goes through the bottom of compressor as well as some kind of tensioning arm to attach to the same area where the power steering tensioning arm is attached so I can tension the ac/alternator belt....Am I correct or way off. Either way I cant find the bolt or tensioning arm anywhere in my garage.

Thanks for your help.
Also where does the long cable coming out of the alternator hook up? At the battery?
Old 02-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Clown
Instructor

Does anyone have a photo of an installed a/c compressor?
Old 02-26-2011, 06:41 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

as you describe it is how it is...a turnbuckle like the powersteering one goes between the bottom of the engine and the bottom of the compressor.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Clown
Instructor

Thanks,

Ya I finally went on lindsey racing website and saw it for my own eyes.

I wonder if this is a universal part or porsche only. I am headed to Napa to see if they have an equivilant. It looks to be about 10-13 inches long.

Its the little things that make putting this thing back together take so long....
Old 02-27-2011, 02:14 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Clown
Does anyone have a photo of an installed a/c compressor?
Hope this helps
If you have trouble getting that damn compressor in the bracket let me know and I will send you some picts on how I got mine in ....
Regards
Ed
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2011, 02:33 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at all of that shiny assed ****!
I hope your belly pans are made of teflon! lol
Old 02-27-2011, 02:35 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

clown, I don't think that turnbuckle is universal. It's really common and I'd think we'd all know of an alternate cheaper part. I sure don't and I've never seen one. YMMV
Find a good used one or get a new one. If you take care of it, you won't need to buy another.

ps do you have the long upper rear bolt for the ac compressor?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:44 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
Look at all of that shiny assed ****!
I hope your belly pans are made of teflon! lol
I love when you speak to me that way .....
Old 02-27-2011, 08:11 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 508 Posts

wtf is that thing in front of the steering rack, the tube thing?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
wtf is that thing in front of the steering rack, the tube thing?
Are you referring to the power steering line ( that's covered in that black foam ?) or the oil cooler line that wasn't fully connected yet ?
Regards
Ed
Old 02-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A kind of related question: I was messing around in that area recently and noticed that I have 2 bolts holding the alt. in place up top, shouldn't this be one long bolt? I swear, whoever took the front of this engine apart and put it back together lost almost every piece of hardware...
Old 02-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Clown
Instructor

Ed- Thanks for the photo...please tell me you took that back in 1987 when you got the car..LOL man you keep things clean. That is exacly how I imagined the compressor would hook up. I am just missing the tenioner for some reason did not come with the car. I actually only have one bolt for the AC compressor the top rear one. There is supposed to be a larger one up top in the front and it looks like there should be a very long one on the bottom but according to Eds picture you dont neet it you just need to bolt on the tensioner to the front bottom !!

Thank you all for you help I will try to find a used tensioner somewhere!

I am sure I will have more questions as I get further in the process...just put in the tranny yesterday..that was 10 times harder than the engine...less room and a pain balancing and lineing that thing up with the torsion tube...!!
Old 02-27-2011, 03:32 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ed- Thanks for the photo...please tell me you took that back in 1987 when you got the car..LOL man you keep things clean. That is exacly how I imagined the compressor would hook up. I am just missing the tenioner for some reason did not come with the car. I actually only have one bolt for the AC compressor the top rear one. There is supposed to be a larger one up top in the front and it looks like there should be a very long one on the bottom but according to Eds picture you dont neet it you just need to bolt on the tensioner to the front bottom !!

I am sure I will have more questions as I get further in the process...just put in the tranny yesterday..that was 10 times harder than the engine...less room and a pain balancing and lineing that thing up with the torsion tube...!!
no. Eddie has spent the last 8 to ten years replating every stinking part on that car. Seriously! I'm not making that up. That's how he rolls...or might SOME DAY!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Actually, that is an 88 but who's splittin' hairs ... Ya know, I found PET to be wrong, in a few ways, when it came to the alternator and the A/C compressor as to the hardware that is listed ... M8 vs M10 bolts and the like....
Things are tough enough when putting back together these damn KRAUT-MOBILES ... But when the factory PET tells you something that's incorrect, that just plain crazy !!

Originally Posted by ehall
no. Eddie has spent the last 8 to ten years replating every stinking part on that car. Seriously! I'm not making that up. That's how he rolls...or might SOME DAY!
LOL
Well ... What can I say your Honor.... The man tells the truth!!... (well not exactly,... more like 6 years) ,.... but who's counting ?
You may want to try Lart ... for that turnbuckle
Regards
Ed
Old 02-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Clown
Instructor

Thanks I get my stuff from Mike at Precision Motorsports a few towns over from me. He should have a couple in stock. Thanks for your help and the photo.

Quick Reply: AIR CONDITIONER COMPRESSOR INSTALL QUESTION