Old 01-13-2011, 05:21 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Rose
Usually a bad trans mount will make noise when loading and unloading. Like getting hard on throttle and then fully lifting. It is very rare that these mounts actually go bad, but is usually upgraded and filled in by racers or DE'ers like me.
I fear the noise you describe could be coming from the trans internals like the diff carrior bearings, could also be the axels. Before you go off the deep end I would trust Karls knowlage and let him take a listen!!
I'm stumped on this one as well. It is a noise that sounds exactly like bad wheel bearings....but only when the car squats. What we do know is that the shocks are shot, the mount is questionable, and the history of the transaxle is essentially unknown. I checked the output shafts for play, and there isn't an eccessive amount. A little more than normal, but not bad enough for seals to leak, which is usually the first thing that goes when the diff bearings go bad. No other noise when driving around. Axles are new, rear wheel bearings are new.

I know the steps I would take if it was my car, but paying someone to do it will get expensive in a hurry.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:31 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I'm stumped on this one as well. It is a noise that sounds exactly like bad wheel bearings....but only when the car squats. What we do know is that the shocks are shot, the mount is questionable, and the history of the transaxle is essentially unknown. I checked the output shafts for play, and there isn't an eccessive amount. A little more than normal, but not bad enough for seals to leak, which is usually the first thing that goes when the diff bearings go bad. No other noise when driving around. Axles are new, rear wheel bearings are new.

I know the steps I would take if it was my car, but paying someone to do it will get expensive in a hurry.
Your steps if I remember correctly would be to replace rear shocks, trans mount, and then what else? You have replaced the rear wheel bearings so thats out and I replaced the axles myself.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:22 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
Your steps if I remember correctly would be to replace rear shocks, trans mount, and then what else? You have replaced the rear wheel bearings so thats out and I replaced the axles myself.
When I did the trans mount, I would just drop the tranny out completely and open it up to inspect everything. But i'm crazy like that.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
When I did the trans mount, I would just drop the tranny out completely and open it up to inspect everything. But i'm crazy like that.
To be honest I can't drop the trans myself at my house. I have replaced a transmission on a 924S back in the day, but I had a transmission jack and air tools at my disposal. Also it was a long 2 days.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:47 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sh944
Out of curiosity, is there a specific problem you are trying to solve by using a filled tranny mount as opposed to just buying a new one?
They're gold plated and filled with unicorn blood... $200+ for a trans mount? They're also not all that stiff even when new.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a spare 944 Turbo tranny with cooler (no LSD) if you end up needing one.

I would fill the tranny mount, on the crossmember. It basically costs just the materials. You don't have to worry about changing the mount as you will never have to in your lifetime. If you wanted to, you can always cut it out later, but again never a reason to consider it. You can change the crossmember easy enough.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
To be honest I can't drop the trans myself at my house. I have replaced a transmission on a 924S back in the day, but I had a transmission jack and air tools at my disposal. Also it was a long 2 days.
If I had to do this job again the only thing different I would do is drop the trans out. You have to drop it down scary low (I was concerned for the TT and bell housing) to work the crossmember out.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:23 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Originally Posted by samluke
I have a spare 944 Turbo tranny with cooler (no LSD) if you end up needing one.

I would fill the tranny mount, on the crossmember. It basically costs just the materials. You don't have to worry about changing the mount as you will never have to in your lifetime. If you wanted to, you can always cut it out later, but again never a reason to consider it. You can change the crossmember easy enough.
Thanks.

I would like to say that today with the snow on the ground I had to put it into reverse and give it a little gas. The rear wheel was spinning and it didn't really make that noise it does going forward. Not sure if that means anything or not.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:42 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to remove the trans. The tranny and TT will rest on the Torsion bar tube, just fine/no issues. It can be hard to get clearance past the brake rotor. Take it off if necessary.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:06 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

how did you get to the bolts to unbolt the mount from transmission? I can't seem to figure it out. I'm going to run to the stores and pick up a u joint to see if that will help at all.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:26 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took off the passenger side wheel and used a long extension to get to the bolts, IIRC.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:16 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Got the mount out finally. Wasn't so hard once I lowered the trans and what not. Okay so it looks like the mount is okay. I am going to put in the used mount that I have that is filled with urethane tomorrow.

As of right now I don't think that its the trans mount.

Quick Reply: Filling Trans Mount