Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

like to hear ur thoughts on manual steering rack swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 03:01 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 130 Posts

I've never run slicks (which would make the steering even harder), but with 245-45-16 track tires (Hoosier, BFG, etc.) I've never minded the manual steering at all, and back when I used to autocross, the car got several FTDs, including on tight courses. Parking is a pain, though, and I'm sure it would get tiring in an endurance race.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:36 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
I've actually found the opposite to be true. With the manual rack, on the track, it does take more effort, but I am more able to feel the weight transfer by how hard or light the steering is.

A few things to note: I'm running a manual rack because I have to per class rules; I run 245 tires up front; I have the minimum amount of caster that I can adjust.

If your "reason" for removing the power steering is to have a "cleaner" engine compartment, then I suggest you get rid of the 944 and buy 1960s pickup truck. I had a '69 Chevy, and it had the emptiest engine compartment I've ever seen. I would climb in and sit on the wheel well to change spark plugs.
I just had to bypass my powersteering rack last weekend due to a leak.

My lap times were down over 1 second per lap across 3 run sessions.

It's just too much work and very difficult to be precise.

It's definitely slower if you're driving a fast car with wide tires.

TonyG
Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyG
I just had to bypass my powersteering rack last weekend due to a leak.

My lap times were down over 1 second per lap across 3 run sessions.

It's just too much work and very difficult to be precise.

It's definitely slower if you're driving a fast car with wide tires.

TonyG

Going to the gym typically helps remedy this, then those lap times'll go right back down... just kidding! Sorry, had to.

In all seriousness, the PO of my car converted the PS rack to manual and truth be told, I don't mind it much. Parallel parking is the worst part about it, in that you certainly cannot do it with only one hand. On the track, I actually prefer it for the same reasons Van gave above. Other than that, I definitely got used to it on the street.

That said, I don't think I'd ever go back to PS. As a matter of fact, I've been looking for someone selling their REAL manual rack. So, if you've got one, let me know and I'll take it off your hands.

Collin

Quick Reply: like to hear ur thoughts on manual steering rack swap