Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Switching to a manual rack for ‘feel’ was popular on older cars with way too much power steering boost – it did give better feel. Switching to a manual rack on a 944 does not increase ‘feel’ – it will increase the ‘feel’ of hitting the curbs on the track and it will decease steering input speed, especially at the end of a long track weekend!

Don’t do it….no benefit other than a slight weight loss.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:06 AM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the OP is only going to be driving maybe once a week it probably isn't going to be on the track/autocross course. If you do it yourself just keep all of the parts for the power steering you take off. Then if you don't like it switch back and sell the manual rack. Your rack is already leaking so you need to bench it anyway to replace seals and o-rings.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 AM
jss
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats a good point. I think I will remove the belt for now to get a feel of what its like. I just love removing things from old cars and keeping engine bay as simple as I can. but will see I guess
Old 12-30-2010, 12:41 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

FWIW, you can buy a rebuilt lifetime rack from autozone for under $200.00. A pump rebuild kit is about $20.00. Rubber feed line to the pump is about $40.00. All other lines that can leak can easily be replaced with bulk hose and hose clamps. For under $300, you can have a leak free system. You will spend more than that to get the manual rack setup in.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I want a power rack with a quicker ratio. Turn 3 at my local track, as well as most autocross courses, often requires me to turn the wheel more than 180' deg. (Which is ridiculous for a sports car)

By contrast, I run the same course with my friend's '98 328i and I never have to go beyond 120 deg to make the same corners.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:05 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a manual rack on my race car, but sometimes track another 951 that still has PS. Both cars are set up the same except for the steering rack. I really do not notice much difference once on the track. I changed to manual because I got tired of blowing the seals on the PS rack. Hoses too. Having said that, I would not want a manual rack on a street car.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
ive driven street manual vs. power back to back and though the manual is ok, not real noticable 90% of the time, the 10% you do notice it kills it for me. Ive had my share of ps leaks to fix, but its just part of owning these cars. If i removed everything that leaks on this car i would be left with a set of seats.
Your seats didn't tear at the seams and leak stuffing?

Yeah, if you take out all the parts that could leak fluid, and take out all the parts that can leak in the rain, you aren't left with much.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:00 PM
jss
Pro

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
FWIW, you can buy a rebuilt lifetime rack from autozone for under $200.00. A pump rebuild kit is about $20.00. Rubber feed line to the pump is about $40.00. All other lines that can leak can easily be replaced with bulk hose and hose clamps. For under $300, you can have a leak free system. You will spend more than that to get the manual rack setup in.
really dam I would do that I need to ask the stores in my area. but I am in canada so not sure if they offer that here or not
Old 12-30-2010, 05:19 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
What type, size, and length of hoses would you need? Got any pics of this setup?
Old 12-30-2010, 05:50 PM
jss
Pro

that should be pretty easy to find out once u remove the old one.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:33 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by azbanks
What type, size, and length of hoses would you need? Got any pics of this setup?
What do you need pictures of? Find leaking hose. Cut off crimp, pull off rubber that is leaking, match up with suitable size hose, reinstall with hose clamps. It's not rocket science
Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven a depowered manual rack on the street and track. I did not like it on the street and on long windy roads it gets tiring. On the track I really did not notice it.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:04 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by jss
thats a good point. I think I will remove the belt for now to get a feel of what its like. I just love removing things from old cars and keeping engine bay as simple as I can. but will see I guess
Then you will have no idea what it will be like if you remove the pump. The pump will fight you. There will be no space to offset the fluid when you turn the wheel either direction, and you will be trying to compress the fluid. It will be MUCH more difficult to turn unless you complete remove the hoses to the pump.

Remove hoses and drain... and belt of course. THEN you will have an idea.

When my car weighed 2500... de-powering the power steering rack was zero issue. Very little extra effort at low speed, and none at high.. Take a look at this video. It is with a de-powered , power steering rack.. I love the quicker steering. I truly needed even quicker steering honestly, I was having to turn the wheel too many circles to take the tight corners. a 16:1 is desired for AutoX. But, I will be on the road course mostly, so no need to decrease the ratio from here. watch me steer.. EASY to turn in tight corners. (except the having to turn too many circles) I was running 265 Khumos in the front. Maybe no ones leaving a reservoir for the fluid to transition when they de-power their racks?

I had my friend call out the cones bcuz I was going to wrong side of a cone and i didn't know where.. he took it upon himself to expand on the help! lol.. he's a good friend. If you look at my start, I only have to use my fingers to turn.. I had to turn my boost down to 10psi to keep from spinning the tires everywhere... So funny that lower power was better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfHwSbndDBE
Old 01-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts

I have run both ways and totally agree that power steering has a much better feel on the track. I think I have very fast hands and still the manual rack limits feel and wheel response . Almost like the car gets numb (best way I can describe)
Old 01-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
I have run both ways and totally agree that power steering has a much better feel on the track. I think I have very fast hands and still the manual rack limits feel and wheel response . Almost like the car gets numb (best way I can describe)
I've actually found the opposite to be true. With the manual rack, on the track, it does take more effort, but I am more able to feel the weight transfer by how hard or light the steering is.

A few things to note: I'm running a manual rack because I have to per class rules; I run 245 tires up front; I have the minimum amount of caster that I can adjust.

If your "reason" for removing the power steering is to have a "cleaner" engine compartment, then I suggest you get rid of the 944 and buy 1960s pickup truck. I had a '69 Chevy, and it had the emptiest engine compartment I've ever seen. I would climb in and sit on the wheel well to change spark plugs.

Quick Reply: like to hear ur thoughts on manual steering rack swap