944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LS1 kit suppliers, list of avaibale suppliers

Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bellhousing/clutch adapter from RH is a nice usefull part as well as the oil pan. Very good quality on those parts. I dont want to turn this into a forum bash however I do want to let people know what to expect so they don't have deal with the same issues I have. If anyone wants to know the issues with the other parts just PM me, RH your welcome to ask as well. I'll respond privately.

The next conversion, if I buy from RH it will be just the bellhousing and oil pan. The rest of the parts could not be used and had to be custom made or sourced elsewhere.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:53 AM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

YO Vanilla Kick it one time boy!
http://www.mcdjscottm.com/
Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 AM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over 30K hard-core daily-driven miles on my 5.3l truck engine swap that Renegade said couldn't happen.Before starting the swap 3 years ago, I read many instances of fragged pilot bearings on their forum and decided to design my own Clutch/TT adapter. Since then, I don't know how many C5 adapter plates I've sold to individuals with burnt/friction welded TT shafts and pilot bearings that had a Renegade Kit installed. There is yet another pilot bearing discussion going on at the moment on 944hybrids. The Corvette C5 BHellhousing... GM (Not a Renegade design) part #12554980 is not the issue either with the shaft centering as I've dial-indicated 5 or 6 of them personally. The issue is the adapter plate and it's shaft locating/concentric dimensions along with the 3 locating dowels. Poor design IMO. Also the NA radiator and factory fans work perfect on the 5.3L as well. The 951 radiator has always been reported as working extremely well on the bigger displacement ls1/ls3/ls6 engines. Don't let anyone tell you any different. And the hood clearance issue has been remedied as well with a modified crossmember and new designed Engine mounts. The 3-prong rubber mounts are old-hat design as well....

Old 02-22-2012, 01:44 PM
supes6
Racer

So you are saying everything is junk except for the oil pan and adapter plates.. and then we have documented instances of leaky oil pans and misaligned adapter plates. Yeah, sounds like a ringing endorsement for their products. I'll bet its fun having to pull the oil pan because the mfr never checked it for leaks... wonder if they reimbursed Anders for the labor on that one?

Originally Posted by eniac
The bellhousing/clutch adapter from RH is a nice usefull part as well as the oil pan. Very good quality on those parts. I dont want to turn this into a forum bash however I do want to let people know what to expect so they don't have deal with the same issues I have. If anyone wants to know the issues with the other parts just PM me, RH your welcome to ask as well. I'll respond privately.

The next conversion, if I buy from RH it will be just the bellhousing and oil pan. The rest of the parts could not be used and had to be custom made or sourced elsewhere.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:00 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by supes6
So you are saying everything is junk except for the oil pan and adapter plates.. and then we have documented instances of leaky oil pans and misaligned adapter plates. Yeah, sounds like a ringing endorsement for their products. I'll bet its fun having to pull the oil pan because the mfr never checked it for leaks... wonder if they reimbursed Anders for the labor on that one?
We have an LS6 944 here that my business partner put together a few years ago with the renegade stuff, his oil pan leaks like crazy, so we have to pull it back off and figure out what we are going to do. Among a few other things....

I just installed Eric's pan on my L33 5.3L and it seemed to fit pretty nicely.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:16 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

In all fairness and in defence of RH, they sent me a new one, free of charge, fast and had very good customer service.
The leak I had, was impossible to find with a visual inspection, and as Im guessings its a robot/jig weld, its probably perfekt 99% of the times.

As for labour, it only took 1-2 hours to change it, the "mental" aspect of it was by far the worst.

Broom, everyone loves pics, lets all agree that the most important part, is getting a proper v8 in!
A guy here with a 997 CUP, is putting a LS in it for the 2012 racing season here, thats pretty damn cool.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robstah
You can easily find leaks by filling the oil pan with fluid. Last time I checked, that was a common procedure after someone welds up a pan.
it was on the pressure side and wasn't leaking really until oil was thin and warm, but then it really came to life..

it could have of course been found mounting an an fitting, and a pressure testing jig .
Old 02-22-2012, 05:52 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No need to stir up the hornets nest, but hell, why not. I have formed a number of friendships on this site and there is not need to get nasty. I am welcome to provide any information requested on my V8 endeavor.

1. The kits can work as intended. It all depends on what each individual is willing to settle for. Changing the geometry of the engine chassis relationship and the brake push rod angle have consequences. I will no longer discuss quality of parts.

2. Championship fast in ST2 equals 1:32's @ Mid Ohio. That's 8.7:1 ratio. A well setup 951 with a V8 should be able to run in that area. We will see if we can produce the real deal - a potential National Championship car running at the sharp end of the stick. That is our goal.

3. I am a little ****, to say the least about my race car expectations. My conversion, that Eniac mentioned, is beyond what most would expect on this forum. Engineering was completed by a name race car builder with more than one Lemans win and a Trans Am Championship. Any parts comments in the past were from them.

4. And by the way, my car is not done yet but I am driving Road Atlanta this weekend in our newly purchased, Turner Motorsports M3 E36 (designated endurance car).

God Speed guys and good luck. I will report when my 951CTSV gets on track. Hell, I will report on the M3 too.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Rene
Racer

Anyone know why RH's response was deleted?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:34 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

Probably because they're not a sponsor
Old 02-22-2012, 11:25 PM
944V8inDFW
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rene
Anyone know why RH's response was deleted?
A conspiracy is afoot! DJ Scotties site has been deleted too! Thank god the way back machine had a copy of it cashed before the evil forces got to it.

Last edited by 944V8inDFW; 02-22-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:25 AM
supes6
Racer

Originally Posted by 944V8inDFW
A conspiracy is afoot! DJ Scotties site has been deleted too! Thank god the way back machine had a copy of it cashed before the evil forces got to it.
lmfao..
Old 02-23-2012, 11:50 AM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He rolled out in his 5.0

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS1 kit suppliers, list of avaibale suppliers