Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

16v turbo dyno testing

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
The tuning does have extra fuel as the intake temps go up.
"Absolute" or "relative" extra fuel?
Does the TEC3 always adjust for air density in the background or is it part of the same compensation table?
Old 11-13-2010, 02:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
"Absolute" or "relative" extra fuel?
Does the TEC3 always adjust for air density in the background or is it part of the same compensation table?
LOL..................... Busting ***** there Duke ......
Old 11-13-2010, 03:16 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tuning does have extra fuel as the intake temps go up.
When I was messing with my old Ford 2.3 turbo, I was able to squeeze a lot more out of it by leaning it out from around 10.0:1 to 12.0:1. I had a HUGE intercooler on it, and never had my intake temps exceed ambient so long as I wasn't idling. One big advantage of the XR, though, was that I was able to put that intercooler in there. But I also didn't have the feedback you have. I was messing withe the Ford PCM (though I had done a MAF conversion).

Of course, I killled the turbine housing in about a year. But it was a fun year!
Old 11-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
LOL..................... Busting ***** there Duke ......
Haha I'm sorry if it seems like it. I'm definately not question anything, I'm just interested in this stuff myself and there's so few in the 944 world to discuss tuning with.

I've run my car in WOT conditions with IAT ranging from 3 deg C to +50 deg C and have been adjusting IAT correction a lot.
I find it most important to add fuel at lower temps than the other way around since hotter IAT means richer mixture without compensation. For instance I have to add 10% more fuel at 0 deg C than at 30 deg C to avoid a lean condition.
I actually have a 3d IAT correction table to be able to have specific values at low/zero TPS to account for heat soak conditions etc.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:31 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

well done Chris, they are some great numbers there. Is this a track or street engine? If its a track engine tell the owner to get some footage on track, if there is one thing we are missing on our forums its more footage of our cars on track,in particular the high hp ones
Old 11-13-2010, 08:29 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Haha I'm sorry if it seems like it. I'm definately not question anything, I'm just interested in this stuff myself and there's so few in the 944 world to discuss tuning with.

I've run my car in WOT conditions with IAT ranging from 3 deg C to +50 deg C and have been adjusting IAT correction a lot.
I find it most important to add fuel at lower temps than the other way around since hotter IAT means richer mixture without compensation. For instance I have to add 10% more fuel at 0 deg C than at 30 deg C to avoid a lean condition.
I actually have a 3d IAT correction table to be able to have specific values at low/zero TPS to account for heat soak conditions etc.
True Dat ....
Old 11-14-2010, 12:59 AM
Supernotch93
Instructor

Chris what a great project you have, gonna be a fun ride! Are you using the Tec3r or Haltech for this setup?
Old 11-14-2010, 07:58 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JET951
well done Chris, they are some great numbers there. Is this a track or street engine? If its a track engine tell the owner to get some footage on track, if there is one thing we are missing on our forums its more footage of our cars on track,in particular the high hp ones
It will be in MY track car for next season, and I will be posting video and lots of data. The car is well set up with data acquisition. There will be a few other 16v let loose next spring – Robs project and my other ‘pet’ project, my 968 cab with an engine similar to my track engine.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:59 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Supernotch93
Chris what a great project you have, gonna be a fun ride! Are you using the Tec3r or Haltech for this setup?
This one has a TecGT.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Yeah, I use a bunch of low temp enrichment - this corrects for both denser air and less fuel vaporization. The trick is to get the coolant based enrichment in the right range before working on the MAT curves. I haven’t gotten as far as a 10% adjustment for MAT. I did a lot of tuning on one car for running down to below freezing and I did not find a lot of MAT was needed at low temps once the engine was warmed up. It could be that Electromotive and Link are using a different calc for the speed density set up. The air flow is calculated by looking at MAP, MAY and engine speed. It’s quite possible that there are different allowances factored in associated with the MAT measurements.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

It could be that Electromotive and Link are using a different calc for the speed density set up.
Yes probably. Now get that oil pump back and hit the dyno again
Old 11-14-2010, 08:02 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I use a bunch of low temp enrichment - this corrects for both denser air and less fuel vaporization. .

This is interesting.
One thing I always wondered; on a wideband air/fuel ratio meter, does the proper air/fuel ratio get sensed whether the fuel is fully vaporized or just partially vaporized. Another words, theoretically, one can go so rich that not all of the fuel would vaporized, or burn; but would the actual fuel being dumped show up on the wideband?

Last edited by TurboTommy; 11-14-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:06 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
This is interesting.
One thing I always wondered; on a wideband air/fuel ratio meter, does the proper air/fuel ratio get sensed whether the fuel is fully vaporized or just partially vaporized. Another words, theoretically, one can go so rich that not all of the fuel would vaporized, or burn; but would the actual fuel being dumped show up on the wideband?
Keep in mind that an O2 sensor does not measure fuel – it measures Oxygen. If there is a misfire it will read the O2 since there is not complete combustion – so incomplete combustion, even if it is very rich, will report back as a lean mixture when it is not really lean.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 PM
pete95zhn
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Chris, nice numbers!

I especially appreciate that they're done on an engine dyno and with that "modest" boost pressure.

Which turbo do you use?

Power. Lots is good, more is better, too much is just right...

'87 951, RIP
'00 996 C2 L92U AQ / IXAA IXRB IX54 M96/7.xx G96/7.88 M030 M375 M376 M436 M476 M601 M983 ... + 991 GT3 brakes, 997 GT3 sway bars, fully monoball'd suspension, Bilstein Cup Car coilovers, do88 Big Pack ICs. 10 & 12 x 19" BBS CH-R wheels with 265/30 & 325 /30 -19 MPSC2s.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:30 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Keep in mind that an O2 sensor does not measure fuel – it measures Oxygen. If there is a misfire it will read the O2 since there is not complete combustion – so incomplete combustion, even if it is very rich, will report back as a lean mixture when it is not really lean.
Hmmm, that's kinda what I thought.
Is it safe to say that widebands often read leaner than the actual mixture when starting to tune on the rich side? (Even if there aren't any misfires)
For example: cold start on a cold day; I understand that an engine might need as rich as 6 or 7:1 air/fuel to get it started. I can't see a wideband (which is theoretically up to operating temp) giving a proper reading because alot of the fuel wouldn't be vaporized in the exhaust (even if there was no misfire). Is this correct?
If so, it stands to reason that engines often run richer than indicated (when tunning on the rich side to ward off detonation, for example).

Quick Reply: 16v turbo dyno testing