944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

16v turbo dyno testing

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

It's a 16v engine with no expense spared, and has been in the works for a while.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
So what is the deal with this engine? I guess I haven't been paying attention. Is the 16v motor becoming more popular for doing a turbo build in the 951's? I guess the 8v has its limits, but in the chevy world they seem to do fine with 2 valves a cylinder.
They also have twice the amounts of cylinders and displacement so I guess they weren't doing so good after all
Old 11-10-2010, 05:20 PM
TX951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
They also have twice the amounts of cylinders and displacement so I guess they weren't doing so good after all
Talking NA - GM does with the LS series engines what Mercedes Benz does with AMG, but with half the valves, pushrods, and all for 25% of the cost.

Back to the topic - Beautiful engine Chris. Nice work. Did you make the headers yourself?
Old 11-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 86 951 Driver
I guess the 8v has its limits, but in the chevy world they seem to do fine with 2 valves a cylinder.
The Chevy guys don't have a choice, we do!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by TX951
Back to the topic - Beautiful engine Chris. Nice work. Did you make the headers yourself?
SFR stage 2 headers.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Talking NA - GM does with the LS series engines what Mercedes Benz does with AMG, but with half the valves, pushrods, and all for 25% of the cost.
What on earth does GM engines have to do with this thread. Why even compare a V8 engine with more than twice the displacement with our 4 cyl engines..

Chris we want to see a chart, start plotting!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

and all for 25% of the cost.
It is on account of stone age technology.

Nice engine Chris
Old 11-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Hmmm...please do tell. Will this be the beast engine?
There is always bigger / better things to be built.....
Old 11-10-2010, 06:52 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No offense was supposed to be taken from my post. I see it was taken the wrong way. I was just stating that I am surprised that after such a long time not people are looking at the 16v head for our cars to make some badass builds.

I wasn't comparing the V8 to our 4cylinder turbo. Not my idea. I was just saying that it seems that some people can do fine with just 2v heads and still get good numbers from it. I just guess our community has reached the limits of the 8v head? I still want to know why porsche never used the 16v head with a turbo?

I like to see builds like this. I will never be able to afford much comprehend what has taken place but it is cool to look at.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

The 8v vs 16v discussion has been around for a while!
In reality the 8v head makes great midrange torque and with some quality porting it is a great performer. I usually recommend the 8v head for 99% of street and track projects.
The 16v head flows a lot better and has some serious potential for max power – but at the expense of low end performance. The 16v engines are an exercise in engineering and the never ending quest to make something cool! The RPM potential is way out there, 8k is quite possible and if you select a turbo to work at that range it would be a serious HP engine (800hp is quite doable). If you design it to make quality HP at 8k RPM it won’t make decent power until 5k rpm…not a good street solution and you would have to custom gear it to work on the track.

And, if nothing else, the 16v engines sound a lot better (to me anyway!) than the 8v engines.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, nice work! I look forward to seeing more
Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
The 16v engines are an exercise in engineering and the never ending quest to make something cool!
And, if nothing else, the 16v engines sound a lot better (to me anyway!) than the 8v engines.
Yep mondo coolosity factor!

http://www.meta-gizmo.net/Tri/awards...NUM_BRAIN.html

"A true exchange overheard after a lecture on wine given at an exclusive, big-buck, wine salon: "Which wines will I like?" The puzzled lecturer replied, "I don't know; what type of wines do you presently like?" The eager wine purchaser was undaunted, "You're a wine expert, so you should know what wine I will like." With more patience than I would have shown, he replied, "True, I have spent almost every waking moment over last ten years, thinking, studying, and experimenting in an attempt to make sense of grapes and wine barrels, so if that makes me an expert, then I am an expert. But listen, you are going to have to work with me a little. Tell me what kind of wines do you like now and I will try to make some recommendations based on those likings." The Platinum Visa card bearer struggled to hide his growing impatience and growled, "The best wines of course!" The wine expert only raised his open hands and said nothing, while the disappointed consumer walked away muttering the word "moron."

If the thought of being told what you should like makes your hand unconsciously clinch into a fist, then you realize that to be active means that you count, that you and your preferences are primary, that to be active means more than just existing, that it means fighting to make you and your preferences triumphant. If, on the other hand, the phrase "what you are told you will like or should like" sounds comforting and reassuring, then I have nothing to offer you but open hands and silence."
- Harvey "Gismo" Rosenberg
Old 11-10-2010, 10:20 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Any reason for the secrecy of the owner?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
It's mine

I wish
Old 11-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by 333pg333
No secrecy….its mine dammit. I have been building engines for all those pesky customers and not able to finish up my track engine for quite a while.

This one is mine…all mine…(I can hear the seagulls from ‘Finding Nemo’ echoing through my skull!!)

Quick Reply: 16v turbo dyno testing