Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The LS1 swap has begun

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 11:38 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

I've had no issues with the axles or transmission at all. Over the last 5 years the car has made anywhere from a low of 375rwhp and 360ft lbs up to its current 425rwhp 410 ft lbs.

I'm still on the stock axles, stock CV's, stock bolts, and AOR transmission. I don't do clutch drops, but burn outs are sometimes hard to avoid with my current motor. Everything is still fine.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:06 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

and this is at 5,280 feet above sea level?
Old 05-24-2015, 11:16 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

It's corrected for altitude by the dyno computer. However the correction factor isn't totally accurate. My tuner told me that if I dynoed at sea level I'd make closer to 450rwhp.

Figure quite a bit less for actual HP, rule of thumb is you lose 3% per 1000 feet of altitude gain...
Old 06-27-2015, 01:03 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Well, since these are project cars and the project never really ends...

Went to the track this past Saturday for the first time this season. I'd been a little worried about the placement of my oil cooler. I thought that putting it in front of the radiator could elevate the water temps, which is something I certainly don't need help with!

Turns out I was right to be worried, while it was a hot day, water temps were higher than before. Drat! Looks like I'll be going back to my old setup where it was mounted parallel to the ground just below the passenger fog light hole and I duct air down through it. I may also mount another oil cooler parallel to the ground below the drivers fog light opening and run them in series.

Boxster ABS brakes work! That was a real surprise and now I have to relearn my braking technique as I haven't had working ABS in the car until now. With the hydroboost there's very little brake pedal stroke and if you jump too hard on the brakes you can actually get the ABS ECU to go into "Ice" mode, where the brakes basically stop working.

Also discovered that only one of my radiator fans is working on "High" speed. Not sure if the other fan is dead, wiring to it is broken or what, but that's another thing to sort out. I discovered the drivers side fan wasn't getting power. I've jumpered it to the passengers side fan for now, but much to my dismay have discovered that even with both fans on it still doesn't stay cool in 100F bumper to bumper traffic. I suspect this is another reason I shouldn't have mounted the oil cooler in front of the radiator. I'll try and find some higher CFM fans to swap in as well as moving that oil cooler. I'll also be adding two more reverse louvered hood vents, these closer to the center line of the hood and more directly behind the radiator to help flush air out and through it.

New motor works great! Tons of power and torque, ran smoothly all day. Had another 951 one check out my car, his Lindsey Racing 2.8l blew a head gasket at the very least and it was the third motor in his car. That validates my LS swap right there....
Old 06-30-2015, 03:19 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

TPC closing it's doors.

can't say this comes as much of a surprise.

apparently, Kent will be taking over the parts business with Eric moving on to other pastures.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:17 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by docwyte
Well, since these are project cars and the project never really ends...

Went to the track this past Saturday for the first time this season. I'd been a little worried about the placement of my oil cooler. I thought that putting it in front of the radiator could elevate the water temps, which is something I certainly don't need help with!

Turns out I was right to be worried, while it was a hot day, water temps were higher than before. Drat! Looks like I'll be going back to my old setup where it was mounted parallel to the ground just below the passenger fog light hole and I duct air down through it. I may also mount another oil cooler parallel to the ground below the drivers fog light opening and run them in series.

Boxster ABS brakes work! That was a real surprise and now I have to relearn my braking technique as I haven't had working ABS in the car until now. With the hydroboost there's very little brake pedal stroke and if you jump too hard on the brakes you can actually get the ABS ECU to go into "Ice" mode, where the brakes basically stop working.

Also discovered that only one of my radiator fans is working on "High" speed. Not sure if the other fan is dead, wiring to it is broken or what, but that's another thing to sort out. I discovered the drivers side fan wasn't getting power. I've jumpered it to the passengers side fan for now, but much to my dismay have discovered that even with both fans on it still doesn't stay cool in 100F bumper to bumper traffic. I suspect this is another reason I shouldn't have mounted the oil cooler in front of the radiator. I'll try and find some higher CFM fans to swap in as well as moving that oil cooler. I'll also be adding two more rev erse louvered hood vents, these closer to the center line of the hood and more directly behind the radiator to help flush air out and through it.

New motor works great! Tons of power and torque, ran smoothly all day. Had another 951 one check out my car, his Lindsey Racing 2.8l blew a head gasket at the very least and it was the third motor in his car. That validates my LS swap right there....
huge congrats!!

after all you had to go through, it's great to hear the good news.

just a friendly reminder; we're gonna need some video soon.

Eric kicked *** on locating and fabbing my oil cooler.

my temp needle showed perfect when stuck in heavy traffic on the north side of Dallas in the heat.

it's ducted perfectly where the bumper-cover/passenger-side duct ends.

your post is another reminder - mine's never going to be a normal street car.

i'll always need to be inspecting the bay, and vigilant at every moment for the first sign of a problem.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
TPC closing it's doors.

apparently, Kent will be taking over the parts business with Eric moving on to other pastures.
why????
Old 07-10-2015, 10:30 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Got the car up to the shop this morning. They looked it over and here's the plan of attack on the oil/water temps.

#1 Move the current oil cooler out from in front of the radiator
#2 Go back to a side mounted oil cooler, most likely run two of them in series, one on either corner of the car.
#3 Build a shroud for the radiator fans
#4 Add two side mounted radiators
#5 Add two more reverse louver vents, more on the center line of the hood behind the main radiator

This should hopefully fix the issue of oil/water temps on track and in 100F stop n go traffic
Old 07-11-2015, 07:31 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using the factory turbo radiator fan set up with the shroud and on track even in 100F temp at 4500" alt my water temps peak around 215, so I think that could be a big help. My past experience in other cars with traffic is the fan shroud really helps a lot, however, on the track the fan shroud isn't doing much.

I have two louvers in the hood which I do think helps the airflow through the radiator.

My oil temps on track are consistently 240-250F on the 100F days, usually 210-220 on 80F days. That is with two coolers in series at each corner. I don't' have the best ducting around the coolers but they are exposed to the airflow with nothing in front or behind them. The temps sure make the case for good oils.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:30 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
TPC closing it's doors.

The announcement specifically says someone named Kent is taking over and things will continue...

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t27...mance-concepts
Old 07-15-2015, 08:10 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a small earl's oil cooler mounted behind the passenger fog light. I cut the back out of the fog light area in the bumper out (obviously not running fog lights) and mounted the cooler so the fog light duct bumps right up to the core of the oil cooler and feeds air directly through. Been out on some near 90 degree days, and haven't seen over 200 yet on oil temps. Suppose to be near 95 friday at the track, so will be another good test.

You need to have a good seal preventing air that goes through your duct from going around the cooler and not through it. Air that can go around the core will do just that if it isn't sealed off.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:29 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

OK, time for another update.

Two more reverse louver hood vents are on their way to the shop, they'll be mounted just behind the radiator to help pull air through.

I've decided to add one additional side mounted radiator right now, they're coming from C&R and well, cost is a bit of a factor. It'll be plumbed to run parallel to my current RD radiator and plumbing will be redone to eliminate all the 90 degree turns I currently have. This is a modular system and I can add another radiator if I need to. This will get custom ducted and get air from the fog light opening as well as the grill opening below the fog light.

On the other side will be my current PS cooler and a V mounted oil cooler that's 13x15. It'll be mounted behind the crash bar, so I'll gain some protection for it. Again custom sealed ducting from the fog light and grill opening.

Hopefully this takes care of water/oil temps while on track in altitude and close to triple digit ambient temps...
Old 08-01-2015, 02:29 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Doc, does your trans shift the same as before the swap?
Old 08-01-2015, 11:45 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Default The LS1 swap has begun

No issues with shifting, shifts the same as before.

At some point I'm going to have to get the tranny rebuilt, but that's simply because of time and mileage...
Old 09-09-2015, 04:24 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Originally Posted by docwyte
OK, time for another update.

Two more reverse louver hood vents are on their way to the shop, they'll be mounted just behind the radiator to help pull air through.

I've decided to add one additional side mounted radiator right now, they're coming from C&R and well, cost is a bit of a factor. It'll be plumbed to run parallel to my current RD radiator and plumbing will be redone to eliminate all the 90 degree turns I currently have. This is a modular system and I can add another radiator if I need to. This will get custom ducted and get air from the fog light opening as well as the grill opening below the fog light.

On the other side will be my current PS cooler and a V mounted oil cooler that's 13x15. It'll be mounted behind the crash bar, so I'll gain some protection for it. Again custom sealed ducting from the fog light and grill opening.

Hopefully this takes care of water/oil temps while on track in altitude and close to triple digit ambient temps...

I was making some extra heat while running a bit lean....

now, I'm needing upgrade on fuel delivery.....

dyno at CBM/Rancho Cucamonga got up to ~400hp despite but no more after low fuel condition past 4000 rpm.

woops, it appears Doug's already panhandling on the ot forum for ideas.

speeding faster than my wallet can take....

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...fuel-pump.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/968-foru...-968-a-31.html

Last edited by odurandina; 09-09-2015 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: The LS1 swap has begun