Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The LS1 swap has begun

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 01:34 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

Because I didn't know how much power it would make until it was all together on the dyno. Yes, you can detune the motor, but then the throttle response isn't as snappy.

I don't want to upgrade. I'm making plenty of power and more importantly, a ton of torque. I've got a specific time trial class I run in and I'm at the sweet spot for power in it right now. Any more power breaks me out of class or forces me to run ballast. No reason to spend a ton of money to essentially do nothing.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:46 PM
zeusrotty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, I see...
Old 11-09-2014, 01:24 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Little carbon fiber **** here. Car is going to the shop late this coming week to move the oil cooler, install the carbon fiber bits and hopefully get the ABS working.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:43 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Doc, is hood clearance an issue for the vents? I was looking at these also and thought the vents extend below the hood line?
Old 11-10-2014, 10:45 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Not for the louvers, but possibly for the hood scoop.

You're right in that it fits down into the hood a bit. Either we're going to have to trim the scoop some, or I'll have to try and source another one...
Old 11-10-2014, 10:50 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

So this was my afternoon project yesterday. This 4 post lift popped up used on a moto forum I'm on. Guy sold his house and didn't have space for it in his next garage.

I'd been kicking the idea of getting one around for awhile, but was torn over two post or four post. Then all the installation costs involved. I went with the 4 post as it's easier to store cars on it, I don't need to repour the footers for the lift or wire in 220V.

Well, when this popped up I went and looked at it, took some careful measurements and measured my garage. I realized I could fit the lift in my garage with no other work, then do the other necessary things as I want to.

4 friends and I took it apart, loaded it in a U-haul truck, brought it to my house, then reassembled it. Unfortunately a hydraulic fitting from the reservoir broke, so I need to get that fixed before I'll know whether the electrics in my garage are stout enough to run this thing.

It actually fits in the garage really well, I'm looking forward to using it and having the 948 up on it for storage. That'll clear my 3rd bay for me to use my work bench and make a place for my moto and bicycles.

I'm having a garage door company come today to give me a quote on a high lift door. I've already gotten a quote from an electrician to run a sub panel to my garage if I need it. I hope not, as the costs for that were far more than I expected.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:02 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Doc, may I ask the favor of your dimensions of the carbon vents please?

Thanks. Mike.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:10 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I bought them from Road/Race. The dimensions are on their website.

Got the hydraulic hose for the lift replaced today. Happy to report my friends and I put the lift together properly, it works great! I had to run it up a bit so I could gain access to the barrel nuts that attach the safety lock release lever.

At least with the lift empty my current house electrics handled the additional load no sweat. I'll try it with a car and see what happens. It'd be great if I could delay the installation of an electrical sub panel in the garage for awhile as it's big bucks!

The garage door guy came by this afternoon, told me he could get the door up close to the ceiling no sweat. I'm waiting to see what his quote it, hopefully get that done ASAP so I can actually use the lift to store the 948 for the winter.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:23 PM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Doc, BTW what radiator hoses are you using? Is it Chevy hoses?
Thanks. Mike.
Old 11-14-2014, 10:43 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

No, they're hoses from NAPA. Renegade Hybrids knows which ones to use, I think one is a 8391 and then depending on your water pump you have to choose between two other hoses. I had the part #'s written down somewhere in my file on the car. Problem is the file for my car is huge!

I'll see if I can find them for you.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:38 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
So this was my afternoon project yesterday. This 4 post lift popped up used on a moto forum I'm on. Guy sold his house and didn't have space for it in his next garage.

Great looking Garage and lift, I am jealous.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:33 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
No, they're hoses from NAPA. Renegade Hybrids knows which ones to use, I think one is a 8391 and then depending on your water pump you have to choose between two other hoses. I had the part #'s written down somewhere in my file on the car. Problem is the file for my car is huge!

I'll see if I can find them for you.
Thanks Doc. Disregard. RH emailed the numbers
Old 11-15-2014, 12:41 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

awesome garage, Doc.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:55 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

With the help of Rich I think I've finally nailed down getting the Boxster ABS working in my car.

I'm using the stock Porsche 951 ABS relay etc to energize the ABS DME/Pump. That means giving that stuff a signal off the alternator so it knows that the engine is running.

Turns out that I hadn't run that wire. Rich was kind enough to tell me where to find the wire and what color code the wire is.

Just so everyone else knows, there's a white 2 wire Molex connector that pops out of the main wiring loom and drops down near the master cylinder. Well, at least in my case, there's supposed to be one.

Turns out someone in the past not only cut that connector off, but cut the wires off flush where they head into the wiring loom so they were basically invisible.

So, just in case some TEPO (The Evil Previous Owner) of your car did the same, look at the main wiring harness loom on the firewall near the master cylinder. The wire you want is a thick gauge RED with BLACK STRIPE wire.

The rest of the Boxster ABS wiring diagram has been posted elsewhere. I'll let everyone know if this, does in fact, get my ABS finally working.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:58 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Ordering a Fluidyne DB-30618 oil cooler core for the car today and mounting it up front. It's 21x3x5.875, so it's a pretty big guy, costs $379 from Summit Racing. Should be the last key to keeping temps cool, along with those hood vents I'm installing.

All this is needed because my friend and I have decided to take another run at One Lap of America. The course this year is very advantageous for us, as it runs through our home state of Colorado and visits two of our home stomping ground race tracks. Out of the 7 tracks One Lap is visiting my friend and I have driven 4 of them. The car is also old enough to run in the "Vintage Foreign" class. I think we have a good chance of winning the class, although I've heard rumblings of a few other LSx swapped 944's running as well. Would make for a very fun class if we all make it!

I'm putting together a sponsor packet now and I'm hoping to get enough sponsorship that we can make this happen. More updates soon!

Quick Reply: The LS1 swap has begun