944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The LS1 swap has begun

Old 08-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think 260 is fine. Thats pretty normal for vette guys w/ an oil cooler.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

My amazing couple lap shakedown

Old 08-06-2011, 12:23 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 570 Posts

better that than this:

Old 08-06-2011, 12:56 AM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

lol...looks like an ls7 failure...at least this guys engine was under warranty

Old 08-06-2011, 02:26 AM
Rene
Racer

Man you guys are fast posting the in car footage. Great hanging out with 2 more LS converted 944 owners.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:07 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Any of you Houston area LSx guys live near Crosby in Harris County? I am getting off my ship probably tuesday in Texas City, going to probably catch a few beers with a few friends that live in Crosby before flying out wednesday. Was wondering if anyone was nearby and willing to let me check out your LSx swap and take me for a ride around the block. I am sure this will be all it takes to push me towards doing the swap .
Old 08-06-2011, 10:25 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since this appear to be the all purpose LS conversion forum I will post here. I have been thinking through, and consulting my contacts pro and amatuer alike about brake setup. I am considering putting in a Tilton dual master with bias control.

Opinions?
Old 08-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rene
Man you guys are fast posting the in car footage. Great hanging out with 2 more LS converted 944 owners.
Great meeting you guys, hopefully I'll bring you some competition in st2

Now to spend my day hoping I have oil pressure.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:26 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte

Tony, I've had no issue buying a piece here and a piece there from Renegade. They've been happy to send me misc bits seperately. I didn't buy their kit...

Great. Then go buy a throttle cable from them. I kills me looking at that one you're running

:-)

TonyG
Old 08-06-2011, 01:33 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
Since this appear to be the all purpose LS conversion forum I will post here. I have been thinking through, and consulting my contacts pro and amatuer alike about brake setup. I am considering putting in a Tilton dual master with bias control.

Opinions?
Better to to the gym.

The dual master cylinder won't brake any differently than a combined master cylinder (dual pistons) like you have now. There will be no difference in the force required from your leg. The only difference is that you can adjust brake bias without restricting pressure (which is the best way to do it).

You can get your feet "wet" with what it will feel like by simply installing the Renegade brake adapter included with your kit. This will simply eliminate the vacuum booster and use your stock master cylinder. Try that first. Then if you like it, you can figure out the dual master cylinder thing if you want. At least you spent no money to try it and feel what manual brakes are gonna be like.

Several of us tried it when we first did the conversion. After a couple laps around the track each, nobody wanted to continue. We all agreed it sucked. That's when we figured out the hydraboost assist setup, and that's what's on the car today.

TonyG
Old 08-06-2011, 01:36 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 570 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Any of you Houston area LSx guys live near Crosby in Harris County? I am getting off my ship probably tuesday in Texas City, going to probably catch a few beers with a few friends that live in Crosby before flying out wednesday. Was wondering if anyone was nearby and willing to let me check out your LSx swap and take me for a ride around the block. I am sure this will be all it takes to push me towards doing the swap .
I don't have tags or registration and neither does Sheup. We're both about 30 miles from Crosby
Old 08-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

Some AN fittings, a visit to my company's machine shop, and a mechanical gauge later, I have plenty of oil pressure. Time to ditch this pos autometer electric oil pressure gauge.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Schuepbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Originally Posted by eclou
I don't have tags or registration and neither does Sheup. We're both about 30 miles from Crosby
If this was the weekend I'd show you my car but I dont think I can pull it off during the week.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:31 PM
rdanford
Racer

For brakes...Eric at TPC talked with Tom Egan and we decided to use ABS Electric's power electric brakes...clean setup and they've been very nice
Old 08-07-2011, 02:01 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Schuepbach, eclou; no biggie. I have a pretty narrow window (probably like 12hrs!) so i figured it was unlikely.

What oil pans are you guys using on these swaps? Have been doing alot of reading in particular about the LS3 and its oiling issues which seem to be a combination of things, one of which is the oil pan. Just wondering even with the LS1/6 swaps which one is proven for the track?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The LS1 swap has begun