944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The LS1 swap has begun

Old 08-16-2010, 01:46 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

doc, what the specs on the cams you're putting in? and i haven't done too much research on the conversion, but i do have a camaro and my brother has a formy so i've at least got knowledge on the motors. is there room to fit in a set of long tubes? i assume the y-pipe back will need to be custom fab'ed? should be pushing 400whp easily with a decent cam, good flowing exhaust, and a tune.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:48 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by CPR
Well, then I guess shame on me it is. I just call it like I see it....or how I interpret it. Maybe others read it differently.

But talking about shame.....

FROM YOUR FOR SALE AD:

https://rennlist.com/forums/7767448-post18.html

I thought you wanted something with more power? Or Something cheaper to get power from? A Boxster, eh?
I know this is all in jest but I have to say Touche.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:09 AM
Euro951
Racer

Thank you sir for the link to my vehicle which is for sale!

And what is to be shameful about dreaming of a flat 6 with an exhaust on it !
Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 AM
OVERBOOST
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sebastian944
Why don't you just buy another car?
Mainly because I have too many and I don't want to test the limit of my wife's tolerance. Also, I have always loved the way my 948 drives and looks, even before I converted it. Besides, have you ever driven a 3rd gen Camaro or a C4 Corvette? ....No thanks.

Originally Posted by sebastian944
I hope you guys are removing the Porsche badge from the hood...
You know, you're right. I put a short list together:
Bosch
Audi
VW
ZF
Chevy
Brose
Brembo

Hmmmmm, since most parts on the 944 have the Audi four rings stamped on them somewhere I think we should all change our badges to Audi....I have a spare badge if you need one Seb

Doc, sorry for interupting your thread....
Old 08-16-2010, 10:57 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 322 Posts

I didn't sell my car because:
#1 I'm already invested in the chassis with custom welded rollbar, sub strap and inner harness mounts
#2 Suspension, brakes, chassis, body are in good shape
#3 Bottom end was bad and to spend the money to fix it and then resell was financially unwise.
#4 See #3, selling car as is would've been a total slaughter

The car needed a new heart and I'd had it with throwing good money after bad with the stock engine.

And no, I'm not removing the porsche badge...

Still not sure about which cam I'm adding, I've heard the stock LS6 cam and a tune will get me the power levels I want. I am doing a set of headers, need them to clear the steering shaft. I'll be putting in a set of cats, then a Y pipe to a single 3" out the back in the stock location.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:40 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte

Still not sure about which cam I'm adding, I've heard the stock LS6 cam and a tune will get me the power levels I want. I am doing a set of headers, need them to clear the steering shaft. I'll be putting in a set of cats, then a Y pipe to a single 3" out the back in the stock location.

You should for sure put in an aftermarket cam. For one.... it's very easy to do with the engine out of the car and almost impossible to do with the engine in the car. Secondly... a cam and valve spring package are not very expensive. Third...even a mild cam will pickup a lot of power over the LS6 cam.

As far as exhaust goes... the car needs to have a dual 2.5" exhaust. A Y into a single 3 cat back will cost you about 15RWHP on the top end.

The other thing is the hood latch. If you put a sharp 90 in front of the throttle body you will loose power on the top end (like 10Hp). The best deal is to use hood pins and cut out the latch so that you can have a a straight shot of cold air with the air cleaner located where the intercooler used to be.

The headers/cam/dual exhaust setup/straight air intake will get you over 385RWHP+

TonyG
Old 08-16-2010, 12:56 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Any recommendations on which cam to use? People seem to like the 224 duration cams.

Good advice on the intake and exhaust, I'll definitely follow it. How's a dual 2.5" with an X pipe going into a dual inlet/exit exhaust?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:15 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
You should for sure put in an aftermarket cam. For one.... it's very easy to do with the engine out of the car and almost impossible to do with the engine in the car. Secondly... a cam and valve spring package are not very expensive. Third...even a mild cam will pickup a lot of power over the LS6 cam.
any thoughts on the "LS hot cam"? I was at a chevy dealer not too long ago pricing out V8 stuff and iirc the hot cam kit was like $700 and worked on every LS motor.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:19 PM
OVERBOOST
Rennlist Member

I have nothing but good things to say about CompCams products. I am using their cam, springs, push rods and roller rockers. They have an excellent tech help line; they will recommend a cam, and other items, based on all your cars specs and its use.

Tony G has a nice dual exhaust setup, which IIRC is a dual 2.5". Others have made dual 2.5", from the headers, which cross over to dual 3" at/around the location of the original cat..... IMO a dual 3" would take away from your torque at this horsepower level
http://www.tonygarcia.org/944V8/exhaust/7.jpg
Old 08-16-2010, 01:24 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Hmm, I'll give Comp cams a call and see what they say...
Old 08-16-2010, 01:30 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

CompCams is kinda generic though. Nothing wrong with them, but they're definitely not winning horsepower awards.

Anyways, someone from Texas Speed & Perf. (creators of the "Magic Stick" cams) suggested either a 224 or 230 duration cam with ~.575-585 lift for making broad, flat power bands. I use an Isky single-pattern 224/.575 113 LSA cam with Comp beehive springs, and this is my dyno:

Excuses: note how the power falls off at 5700rpms. This was because my throttle was only opening 3/4 of the way, and i had a 3" air intake with lots of ugly bends and squishes in it. Since then i've fixed that and my car pulls hard to ~6300rpms. (Oh, and i live at 6000'+, thus the correction factor). Check out the torque curve though
Old 08-16-2010, 01:51 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

I think the V8 swap is cool. What class can you run them in? I figured since the engine isn't stock or of the same manufactor that it would put you in a class that is hard to be competitive in.

I would have loved to do the LS1 swap on my old 924S, but too bad the interior and all that needed to be completely redone. Otherwise I would have kept it. I like the 944 Turbo stock the way it is. Its a nice running car. But I understand the whole point of putting a v8 in it. For a nicer car I would say its not for me, unless I wanted big power, but to be honest unless your dragging the car you really don't need 500-600 hp. unless you just like to go fast.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:55 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I'm running in Time Trials.

I did the swap because the motor in mine was bad...
Old 08-16-2010, 04:55 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You run it in the GT class which is power to weight ratio based.

I know what the rules say about engine being of the same manufacturer but nobody cares about that. Everybody knows I'm running a GM engine and has ever complained or said a word about it. The license plate says PACN LS1 :-)

What they do car about is the actual power and weight of the car where they will take the car at impound and dyno it on a portable dyno as well as to stick it on the scales.

Unfortunately, a 944 will never be competitive in either GT2 or GT3 if properly prepared 996/997 cars ($$$) are there with good drivers.

But the car will run in the middle to top 1/3 of the Red race group where the speeds are blisteringly fast with excellent drivers all around you, so there's always someone to race with. And since I'm not getting paid to race... it's about the fun.

TonyG

Originally Posted by 86 924S Driver
I think the V8 swap is cool. What class can you run them in? I figured since the engine isn't stock or of the same manufactor that it would put you in a class that is hard to be competitive in.

I would have loved to do the LS1 swap on my old 924S, but too bad the interior and all that needed to be completely redone. Otherwise I would have kept it. I like the 944 Turbo stock the way it is. Its a nice running car. But I understand the whole point of putting a v8 in it. For a nicer car I would say its not for me, unless I wanted big power, but to be honest unless your dragging the car you really don't need 500-600 hp. unless you just like to go fast.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:54 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Ordered a bunch of stuff today, autometer water temp gauge, oil cooler, Turn 1 power steering pump and hood pins.

Here's the clean pic...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The LS1 swap has begun