Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The LS1 swap has begun

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 324 Posts

Not sure, but I'm within 2 hp of another LS1 converted 944 that has a similar setup to me. If I made the 389rwhp you have before I'd be up the creek time trials wise as I'd be making too much HP.

I run in TTA with NASA, and I can't go under 8.7 HP/lb. Right now with I have a comp weight of 3250 lbs with me in the car and I'm making 372rwhp for a comp ratio of 8.73...

So my current setup is...
EPS 226/230 cam, LS6 throttle body (stock, not ported),
LS6 intake manifold, K&N F body intake modified to fit,
straight shot intake, stock MAF (not unscreened),
stock 241 heads, S&P shorty headers, test pipes,
dual 2.5" exhaust with X pipe ending in a dual inlet/outlet straight through magnaflow muffler.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:50 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it me, or is everyone else having problems with the sites' use of cookies for login purposes....

Anyway....

I'd be interested to see your a/f ratios on a wide band as well as your ignition timing map. Did you try my map? With your current setup, it would be a straight plug-in affair.

Sorry, but I know there's power left on the table whether you want it or now :-)

Is that 3250lbs with driver? (BTW, FWIW, I'm at 2880lbs with driver coming off the track probably with maybe 3ish gallons left.... sputtering around Turn 9 at WSIR).

I did a overlay against my dyno and the shape is almost identical BTW. It looks real good.

I still haven't dynoed the new LS6 but it's got the same cam/spring/retainer package out of the LS1, and everything else the same so I'm sure it's within a few HP.

The deal with me is that I'm 50+ RWHP under where I can be in GT2. So I'm going to pull the LS6 heads and step it up. I need to be at about 440RWHP-445RWHP. 390RWHP ain't cuttin' it for sure.

TonyG

Originally Posted by docwyte
Not sure, but I'm within 2 hp of another LS1 converted 944 that has a similar setup to me. If I made the 389rwhp you have before I'd be up the creek time trials wise as I'd be making too much HP.

I run in TTA with NASA, and I can't go under 8.7 HP/lb. Right now with I have a comp weight of 3250 lbs with me in the car and I'm making 372rwhp for a comp ratio of 8.73...

So my current setup is...
EPS 226/230 cam, LS6 throttle body (stock, not ported),
LS6 intake manifold, K&N F body intake modified to fit,
straight shot intake, stock MAF (not unscreened),
stock 241 heads, S&P shorty headers, test pipes,
dual 2.5" exhaust with X pipe ending in a dual inlet/outlet straight through magnaflow muffler.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yes, 3250 lbs with the driver. I weigh around 200lbs, then my helmet, HANS, suit, etc. So the car weighs around 3000lbs, I'll confirm this weekend when I get it on the scales again.

I don't know if there's power left on the table or not. Not every motor will respond the same to the same mods, some will make more power than others. The fact that another motor with basically the same mods as me made within 2 hp of mine makes me feel like my motor is healthy...

I didn't try your map, since I'm at altitude they would've had to have tweaked it anyways...
Old 04-22-2011, 06:00 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

i assume you've had the car out during the past few weeks?
Old 04-22-2011, 07:54 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yes, got the car out on track twice now. It's done quite well both times, I just need to get a little more comfortable with it and then I'll rachet up the speed.

Have had to deal with a few issues, but they're things to expect when doing a project of this magnitude. The latest is that the motor mounts seem to have collapsed, which has allowed the header tube to come into contact with the steering shaft.

That's binding up the shaft and damaging the header tube. Texas Performance has been great to deal with and they're sending me they're newly revised motor mount uprights and mounts.

I got the car on the scales and it weighed 3160lbs with a full tank of gas, so it really hasn't gained any weight from stock.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

This is one of those "Thank you, hate you" type of posts

Thanks to Josh for giving me the keys to his 948 and letting me take a spin in the car. Once I ditched the Police it was a nice drive

This really is a cool swap and totally transforms the car. Kinda hard to explain until you actually go drive one.

In some ways it's really not about the power itself, but the way it delivers it. Josh's car is loud with an obnoxious exhaust( in a good way) and has a slight lopiness to it at idle due to the cam. ( I say slight because I have had some old school muscle and know what real big cams do to those).

Once off idle that car is very smooth. Put it in any gear and just cruise along. Smooth usable power in almost any gear. Ice cold AC, and just a fun car to drive. Get on the throttle and of course the thing goes well too!! But does it in a very smooth predictable linear way.

The one thing I have always loved about the 944/951 chassis is the predictable, linear handling. The boost curve on the 951 makes that handling more critical and in many ways less usable. I did not get to run this car on the track and was very friendly to it on the street. But I can see where the linear power combined with the linear handling can make a very cool package.

Thanks again Josh. Have a happy birthday today!!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

You should've put the boot to it, then you'd really see how the motor transforms the car!

It changes the car, but only in good ways. I've been very pleased with it, I've probably put 3000 miles on it so far with over 1000 of those being track miles. Besides having a small appetite for oil while on track (maybe a quart in 8 30 minute sessions) it's been bulletproof.

I am thinking about adding a resonator to the exhaust, as it is very loud, so loud I can't talk to anyone in the car while on track, even with a communicator.

I'm finishing up a few small projects later this afternoon, like finally mounting my drivers side 968 door handle and putting on the front splitter.

It was good seeing you today Cole. I was very impressed with your Cayenne and have added it to the "Want" list!
Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Cole
Drifting

Well, I gave is "some" throttle, but overall wanted to respect your car. It's yours to flog, not mine.

FWIW to those reading this thread. I showed up in a chipped Cayenne Turbo (about 530hp) to test drive the car. The 948 still felt very fast and smooth. (just pointing out that I did not hop out of a little econobox 90hp car to all of the sudden be amazed at a LS powered car)
Old 07-06-2011, 09:14 PM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What kind of motor mounts did you use that collapsed, rubber or poly? I saw TPC developed a different kind of mount.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Cole
Drifting

Talking

Well, Jeska wants to drive it now
Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Besides having a small appetite for oil while on track (maybe a quart in 8 30 minute sessions)
I am heavily into my LS6 project. You should look into using the Z06 PVC set up. It uses a lot less oil by routing the intake air to the valley underneath the intake, instead of the oil saturated valve covers especially at high rpm (main culprit of the consumption on the track) Here is a pick and a link to an example. below is the "catch can" GM used. Much better than the oily valve cover ports.

Cheap enough here.. EXTREMELY cheap. I am REALLY starting to get into this chevy stuff. I know, I know, so many have been trying to tell us all this.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...-12568002.html
Old 07-07-2011, 04:03 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

You should've put the boot to it, then you'd

I've probably put 3000 miles on it so far with over 1000 of those being track miles. Besides having a small appetite for oil while on track (maybe a quart in 8 30 minute sessions) it's been bulletproof.
You need the LS6 crank case breather setup. It requires a some mods, but it's an easy Sunday afternoon project. Here's a link:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

This will eliminate the oil consumption.

I am thinking about adding a resonator to the exhaust, as it is very loud, so loud I can't talk to anyone in the car while on track, even with a communicator.
My setup is extremely quiet, and the mufflers are straight through. Almost too quiet.

No cats, and two straight through mufflers.

In fact.. it's odd how quiet it is.

TonyG
Old 07-07-2011, 04:06 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Have had to deal with a few issues, but they're things to expect when doing a project of this magnitude. The latest is that the motor mounts seem to have collapsed, which has allowed the header tube to come into contact with the steering shaft.

That's binding up the shaft and damaging the header tube. Texas Performance has been great to deal with and they're sending me they're .

FWIW, Renegade Hybrids has the urethane motor mounts that eliminate this problem (speaking from experience).

Just another source in case you still problems.

TonyG
Old 07-07-2011, 08:57 AM
arthropraxis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How did it sound when you had the single exhaust, Tony?
Old 07-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
You need the LS6 crank case breather setup. It requires a some mods, but it's an easy Sunday afternoon project. Here's a link:

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=18

This will eliminate the oil consumption.

TonyG
I just need to do this before putting my car on the track. What's a little more money in the grand scheme of it all

Quick Reply: The LS1 swap has begun