Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   The LS1 swap has begun (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/585050-the-ls1-swap-has-begun.html)

Ski 08-15-2010 03:14 AM

Squires puts the price at $16000, if you provide the engine, did I read that right?

Not bad, with all the labor and custom pcs involved.

Rene 08-15-2010 03:37 AM

Trust me once that LS1 is in you will never look back.

The math is simple yes I could have gone with a Z06 but, like most of us I was already deeply invested in to my 944 turbo. I was already racing my car in a NASA group i liked. The roll cage, suspension, LSD race wheels ect were already done. I had a choice to make, rebuild the turbo motor for the 2010 season or the swap.

My used 2002 LSX was 2k
The kit was 6k
& 50 hours labor my mechanic worked on the side & gave me a great deal.

Ski if you do your own labor you can do the swap for less than what your last build cost & it will bring the car into the next century.

BTW at my last test & tune day my alternator went out, I went down to AutoZone & swapped the alternator in-between sessions. The rebuilt alternator cost me 160.00 & i kept the old one & had it rebuilt for 20 bucks. BTW I didn't miss a session & had it been the Porsche alternator that went out I would have been done.

Ski 08-15-2010 05:05 AM

we'll see what this motor does, should hit 370+ on hp and torque. We have two more blocks, kit for 2.8L, which will be our next rebuild I think. But, I might do this with a 968 for my next toy.

Rene 08-15-2010 05:23 AM

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...mj951/dyno.jpg

Olli Snellman 08-15-2010 06:34 AM

We have not possibility to use LSx series engines here. We can add legally on 20% "cubic inces", so 3.6L (when S2 is used as a starting point) is a maximum we can install. Also GM LSx engines are extreamly rare almost every european country. Would be nice to build such a car, still have a weak spot in my heart for good old detroit V8's :)

Euro951 08-15-2010 01:17 PM

"WOW....I didn't notice that. Why in the world would someone claim 'engine rebuild' but exclude re-assembly??? Very misleading IMO."

Wow CPR, are you saying that about one of our vendors? Shame on you.....

Looks great! A good friend of mine did a LT-1 swap years ago, I believe he helped write a how to article on it. I loved the LT-1, the LS series motors should be even better.

Looks great so far Doc!

docwyte 08-15-2010 01:47 PM

I don't think it's shameful of CPR at all and I happen to agree with him. It's very disengenous to advertise a price for a "rebuilt" short block and then read in the fine print that it's not assembled! That's not a rebuilt short block, it's just the parts TO rebuild the short block.

My entire swap, including motor and all needed parts will be far under the $16,000 Squires charges.

OVERBOOST 08-15-2010 02:45 PM

If you can do the labour yourself the cost is minimal...

I finished my conversion ~5 years ago. IIRC I have ~$5500 into the conversion. I had purchased, and enjoyed, my Turbo 944 5 years before that.
That $ amount includes a full rebuild/machining of the engine top to bottom; heads, forged pistons 11:1, ARP fastners, Mcleod clutch, cam, RR etc etc etc.
My car was very well maintained before I did the conversion so I didn't have to replace things like suspension or brakes, things that can add $$$ to the cost of a conversion.

I can honestly say that though I loved my sligthly modded 944 Turbo I would never trade it back for the set up I have now....never. I am sure that Doc will feel the same way after his first drive....:burnout:

sebastian944 08-15-2010 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by OVERBOOST (Post 7817116)
I finished my conversion ~5 years ago. IIRC I have ~$5500 into the conversion. I had purchased, and enjoyed, my Turbo 944 5 years before that.
That $ amount includes a full rebuild/machining of the engine top to bottom; heads, forged pistons 11:1, ARP fastners, Mcleod clutch, cam, RR etc etc etc.
My car was very well maintained before I did the conversion so I didn't have to replace things like suspension or brakes, things that can add $$$ to the cost of a conversion.

I can honestly say that though I loved my sligthly modded 944 Turbo I would never trade it back for the set up I have now....never. I am sure that Doc will feel the same way after his first drive....:burnout:

You changed your badge to 948? :icon501: Honestly, I hope you guys are removing the Porsche badge from the hood too because what you have there is more a camaro or vette than anything else. Why don't you just buy another car?

David Floyd 08-15-2010 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by sebastian944 (Post 7817250)
Y Why don't you just buy another car?

Because he did not want too ????? it's not for everybody, his car his choice :cheers:

Ski 08-15-2010 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by docwyte (Post 7816994)

My entire swap, including motor and all needed parts will be far under the $16,000 Squires charges.

When you finish, if you don't mind, share the $$ or pm, I'm really curious. Good luck. Do you mind sharing who is doing your conversion?

odb812 08-15-2010 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by docwyte (Post 7813435)
2002 Camaro SS. So the motor is an LS1 with the LS6 intake manifold and throttle body.

Texas Performance Concepts is doing the swap, they've done several before and manufacture some of the needed swap parts. Figured I didn't want to reinvent the wheel and pay another shops education in the process.

Originally Posted by Ski (Post 7818061)
When you finish, if you don't mind, share the $$ or pm, I'm really curious. Good luck. Do you mind sharing who is doing your conversion?

There you go Ski.

CPR 08-15-2010 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Euro951 (Post 7816933)
"WOW....I didn't notice that. Why in the world would someone claim 'engine rebuild' but exclude re-assembly??? Very misleading IMO."

Wow CPR, are you saying that about one of our vendors? Shame on you.....

Well, then I guess shame on me it is. I just call it like I see it....or how I interpret it. Maybe others read it differently.

But talking about shame.....

FROM YOUR FOR SALE AD:

https://rennlist.com/forums/7767448-post18.html

Originally Posted by Euro951
Bump, or trade for Boxster

I thought you wanted something with more power? Or Something cheaper to get power from? A Boxster, eh?

odb812 08-15-2010 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by CPR (Post 7818172)
Well, then I guess shame on me it is. I just call it like I see it....or how I interpret it. Maybe others read it differently.

But talking about shame.....

FROM YOUR FOR SALE AD:

https://rennlist.com/forums/7767448-post18.html

I thought you wanted something with more power? Or Something cheaper to get power from? A Boxster, eh?

No you didn't girlfriend
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...DsPdDyt0xZ8NU=

Ski 08-16-2010 12:36 AM

:) Todd