Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Shocked a Mustang SVT owner....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 01:33 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

I've been to track days with the local SVT club. They are a great group of guys who are a lot of fun to talk to. I haven't had any trouble with a street driven mustang around either the autocross or road course we have up here. Some of the race prepped ones are obviously a different story. They are massively powerful cars in a straight line, but the 951 carries so much more exit speed, that it needs to be a really long straight before even the most powerful stangs match speed, let alone reel us back in.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:57 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, then there's this champion here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4upbnTnjHw

Idiot in Germany who seems to think that he can hang with a Carrera GT... in a PRE-supercharged mustang SVT.

Friggin' idiot doesn't understand that you DON'T pass on the inside in Germany.

"I can hang pretty good with 'em..."

Yeah.

Dream on, brutha.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:40 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by manticore33
I got pulled over doing 85 mph in a 65 zone here in Ohio. The cop wrote the ticket for 80 to save me a little money, and the fine was $130. I was in my BMW at the time and not the Pcar.
I got tagged doing 81MPH in a 65 in Maryland (was the flow of traffic of course ). Ticket was going to be $290US, but he dropped it down to a no seat belt for $25. Probably didnt want to deal with the paperwork for an out of state/country person.

Why no seat belt is $25, dont ask me. Those numbers should be swapped.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:13 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

I'm being too kind calling him a moron

and is it just me or did that poor Mustang take a loooooong time to gain speed.

I'm not the biggest fan of Darwin though sometimes his theory holds water....

Originally Posted by VWaddict
Well, then there's this champion here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4upbnTnjHw

Idiot in Germany who seems to think that he can hang with a Carrera GT... in a PRE-supercharged mustang SVT.

Friggin' idiot doesn't understand that you DON'T pass on the inside in Germany.

"I can hang pretty good with 'em..."

Yeah.

Dream on, brutha.

Last edited by racerxrick; 08-03-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I heard of a 951 guy over here who regularly goes double the speed limit on small and narrow country roads... Not advisable at all.
I bet this nutter has had some heart-in-mouth moments as harvesters/tractors suddenly appear uphill, coming the other way.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:56 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
You guys must have more lenient cops in the US. More than 25 mph over limit = $933 and 6 months disqualification here in Qld, Australia. We also have anti-hooning laws - get caught doing something considered stupid 3 times and forfeit your car. I'm not condoning speeding, but curious what you get for your troubles in a typical US state?
Here it is easy.....any speeding ticket you get that you do not wish to pay, simply take your car to a Speedo~Calibration Shop, pay the $25 calibrate fee, then slip the operator a $20 bill and tell him what you want the form to say.

Submit to courthouse....Judge has to reduce the charge to 'improper equipment', which is only $25 in most states.

Although in some instances, when say.....you were going 106 mph, the best they will do is get you under a reckless driving ticket (74 mph).
Old 08-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 685 Likes on 288 Posts

My performance mods aren't that significant (I'll probably miss a few things):

K27/8 turbo
Michael Mount head
Vitesse MAF/chips
72lb siemens injectors
Tial wastegate
Forge BOV
Hard pipes
MBC
B&B full exhaust & test pipe
Koni "showroom stock" race suspension
KLA solid mounts
Big black brakes / 993tt rotors

I consider this to be a nice "fast street" set up.

I'm really not sure what year the Mustang was, though I do know that it wasn't an SVT Cobra R...

The roads that I have around my lake house are really quite deserted - I rarely see the 2 local police cars during the week, so.... I have to be more careful about Harley riders! They really are a pita around here.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nurburger
I'm really not sure what year the Mustang was, though I do know that it wasn't an SVT Cobra R...
The 03-04 Cobras were faster than the Cobra R. As were the Shelby GT500's. As are the new 5.0L's.

As Todd said, anything pre-03 is kind of "meh." Looking at your mod list, I'd expect it was probably one of those. Nevertheless, compared to a stock 951, it is impressive!

I sometimes wonder if I'm the only male alive who does not get the whole appeal of street racing at all.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:47 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Guys - On the topic of tickets...We recently went to VA Beach and got one coming back to MD at Stafford on South 95. My wife was driving and of course went with the flow of traffic. While passing slower cars on the left lane, she briefly accelerated to 90 from approx 80-85 to pass the slower traffic to keep up with the 2 faster cars ahead. While passing to get back on the left, faster lane, trooper clocked her doing 90 and gave her a reckless driving ticket- no fine, just a court date. Really bad luck because we were going briskly with traffic but not reckless but it is what it is...15 years with no tickets and now this.

Any advice or experience with getting out of this ticket is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for slightly OT.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:56 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

guy i work with has an 03 cobra, supposedly now putting down 700rwhp with a bigger...everything.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:40 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 516 Posts

Originally Posted by xsboost90
guy i work with has an 03 cobra, supposedly now putting down 700rwhp with a bigger...everything.
smaller pulleys on the eaton or swapping to a kennebell/whipple make BIG gains on that motor. upgraded intercooler system too.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:59 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by VWaddict
I don't understand how he's shifting, steering, and holding the camera at the same time at 150mph. Can somebody explain this to me? Or do I have to be a Ford driver to understand?

Originally Posted by 67King
I sometimes wonder if I'm the only male alive who does not get the whole appeal of street racing at all.
This.

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Guys - On the topic of tickets...We recently went to VA Beach and got one coming back to MD at Stafford on South 95. My wife was driving and of course went with the flow of traffic. While passing slower cars on the left lane, she briefly accelerated to 90 from approx 80-85 to pass the slower traffic to keep up with the 2 faster cars ahead. While passing to get back on the left, faster lane, trooper clocked her doing 90 and gave her a reckless driving ticket- no fine, just a court date. Really bad luck because we were going briskly with traffic but not reckless but it is what it is...15 years with no tickets and now this.

Any advice or experience with getting out of this ticket is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for slightly OT.
First step is to hire a lawyer, don't try to deal with this on your own if you're not a professional.

Second, the best place for traffic enforcement info is here.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beating a Mustang on some twisty roads isn't much to brag about lol..
Old 08-04-2010, 10:35 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudbuddha

Sorry for slightly OT.
Really depends on if the ticket was in MD or VA?

In MD, just court costs, fine and 3-4 points. Not a major deal and that is if the cop shows up.

However, if it was in VA, get a lawyer! VA is NO JOKE about speeding and "reckless driving". The judge will have no problem slapping down communitiy service, suspended license and $500-1,000 fines, etc.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 PM
joster86turbo
Instructor

+1 on the lawyer. instead of showing up alone with essentially no power what so ever, having a lawyer will payoff.
1. they know the judges, including which ones you want to rule and ones you dont.
2. if you get an unfavorable judge, they know all the ways to motion for a new court date (and hopefully a different judge).
3. if they are a seasoned lawyer, and not a douche...they will have some sort of relationship with the clerk or prosecutor, and can ask them to review the docket. if its a busy-busy day with much bigger cases than yours, you can often have them dismiss the case.
best of luck

Quick Reply: Shocked a Mustang SVT owner....