Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Noob Q's for a clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:30 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to increase your clutches torque capacity you can do it three ways. Get a stiffer pressure plate, a more aggressive clutch disc or both. The aggressive clutch material is what you want to steer clear from. That will make the car unbearable to drive. A stiffer pressure plate, however, will give a bit heavier of a clutch pedal, but still allow you to drive like a streetable, comfortable car if used with a factory clutch disc. For your power goal, I would suggest a KEP 1 pressure plate with a Cup disc ( you can get it from Paragon ). This will hold at that level and drive like stock, with a bit stiffer pedal. This is your best option.

Southbend is a great company too, just extremely busy.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:13 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DDP
If you want to increase your clutches torque capacity you can do it three ways. Get a stiffer pressure plate, a more aggressive clutch disc or both. The aggressive clutch material is what you want to steer clear from. That will make the car unbearable to drive. A stiffer pressure plate, however, will give a bit heavier of a clutch pedal, but still allow you to drive like a streetable, comfortable car if used with a factory clutch disc. For your power goal, I would suggest a KEP 1 pressure plate with a Cup disc ( you can get it from Paragon ). This will hold at that level and drive like stock, with a bit stiffer pedal. This is your best option.

Southbend is a great company too, just extremely busy.
Thanks for that Derek, il first call up places in melb that sell exedy clutches (aparently they're good) and ill sus the KEP 1 pressure plate with the cup disc.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

is this the clutch you're talking about?
http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...chkitsport.htm

and is that all i need??

thanks
Old 07-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We ran 462rwhp (measured on a Super Flow) with Hoosiers through a Cup PP, disc and new flywheel with no issues for approx. 5 seasons. No issues.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I'm kind a stating the obvious you can get and australian cluch place to rebiuld or make you a good clutch for reasonable price .. its just falls over when they call up Porsche center Melbourne for the $600 throw out bearing ..(180 or so online).
pretty sure there is no exedy kit
Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
Although I'm kind a stating the obvious you can get and australian cluch place to rebiuld or make you a good clutch for reasonable price .. its just falls over when they call up Porsche center Melbourne for the $600 throw out bearing ..(180 or so online).
pretty sure there is no exedy kit
yeah thats true, i was on the exedy website and the porsche 944 turbo is listed,
porsche center melbourne have some good prices and something are expencive, sparkplug leads...$750 and spair interior parts are like $5 ABS in laverton north are listed in the exedy listings, il give them a call.
i know its a hard task but is it worth getting them to put it in or do it yourself?
Old 07-28-2010, 11:45 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That link you provided is the kit you want. Although I'm not sure if it comes with everything pictured. I think that's just the clutch disc and the throw out bearing, even though the PP is in the picture. The PP is another $500-600. However, that is the clutch disc and PP you want.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:58 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

wow chris All this clucth kits with a new standard pressure plate seem a big waste of money to me like that one listed and all the spec ones ...its $300 you simply don't have to spend ... the standard pressure plate just doesn't wear out .

if they give you a promised price it may be worth having them do it .. it is huge job and you have the car so apart you end up doing heaps of jobs ..its probably a good time to do your exhaust.
see if its listed on clarkes garage how to's
Old 07-29-2010, 02:01 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
We ran 462rwhp (measured on a Super Flow) with Hoosiers through a Cup PP, disc and new flywheel with no issues for approx. 5 seasons. No issues.
What is the cup pp? Have a part number? More clamp than stock? My nearly new stock clutch slipped at 350rwhp, give or take.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Its a worn syncro, I have the same problem and have replaced fluid with redline as well as the clutch cylinders and still have problems when its cold or I shift quickly. Might also try adjusting the pedal itself?

Quick Reply: Noob Q's for a clutch.