Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Auto Power vs. Redline

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:57 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get me wrong...you guys are dead on with your advice and opinions. it's me that's wavering here. I'm leaning toward to Autopower due to the fact it may be approved for use in PCA, SCCA and NASA events, Redline is not, though I will say that niether web site says anything regarding any sanctioning body certifications. The Autopower does offer a small degree of safety and functions as a harness bar for basically the same price.

I do appreciate all your input. THANKS!!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluidplay
Don't get me wrong...you guys are dead on with your advice and opinions. it's me that's wavering here. I'm leaning toward to Autopower due to the fact it may be approved for use in PCA, SCCA and NASA events, Redline is not, though I will say that niether web site says anything regarding any sanctioning body certifications. The Autopower does offer a small degree of safety and functions as a harness bar for basically the same price.

I do appreciate all your input. THANKS!!
As long as you are willing to cut your carpet and drill holes in your car....!
Old 07-21-2010, 11:00 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

Yeah and fixing the holes isn't that much fun. I had welded plates to cover up the holes left by the previously installed Autopower rollbar
Old 07-21-2010, 02:13 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, I've read a couple of dozen past posts on the subject and haven't been able to discern a clear top choice...

I'm considering installing one of these as I'm doing more DE track type events (not racing) and need to have that peace of mind while driving north of 100mph+ that there's a higher level of protection "should" anything happen.

So my question is...If given a chance, and you installed either one of these, would you change it? what would have have changed to? and why?

Thanks for your time and insights as always...

The autopower roll bar is a true roll bar. 4 points with each having a mounting base. The downside is that it requires drilling 16 holes in the car.

The redline bar is really a overgrown harness bar. It has 4 mounting points, but the are not proper roll bar mounts. It therefore from rules tech perspective will never meet the rules for a roll bar. It does provide roll over protection and it best feature is a no holes installation. This means it can be removed with little trace of installation.

If I need a tech legal roll bar I would be forced into the autopower (or other similar designs). If I did not need a legal roll bar in street driven car and did not want extra holes I woul run the redline bar.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:20 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

...If you had to choose between Redline or Autopower, which would you choose? Again, this is primarily a street car used for 6-8 AX and 2-3 track events per year....

Redline due to ease of installation. I would rather track the car with stout harness bar, race seats and harness than 3pt belts. The redline bar is perfect to support a harness, HANS and provide some roll over protection. If rules pushed me a proper roll bar I would consider the autopower, but also consider custom welded in alternatives too. I will not do any real track time without a HANS and harness.

BTW.... NASA does not require a roll bar in any class. NASA tech rules are either nothing or full race legal cage. So a roll bar gets you no where in NASA. If you install a roll bar it will be inspected as such and should be built as such. The redline bar is not no roll bar however. It is in effect a harness bar with some roll over protection.

If you are looking check with the local region. SCCA requires cage for racing.

Really these days few oranizations even deal with roll bars any more except for open cars. All racing orgs require cages with at least 1 door bar, but most a moving torward 2 door bars now.

Quick Reply: Auto Power vs. Redline