Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CVRIV's Project 951

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:01 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
That is usually caused by momentarily exceeding the technical skills reserve of the operator….
True.

Anyways,... I would rather trust my bricks. I have done it before with outstanding results. I still have the original bricks from years ago when I did a ton of work on my old "S".

There actually isnt any weight on teh rear jack stands at all. Theres just enough weight to keep those blocks up between the jacks and the car. The jack stands are for precautionary measures only. There is no focused point of force on the bricks. Thats why I have the wood on top of the blocks. Plus the one jack point is caved upwards and the other front jack point is bent upwars a bit too from when I tried to use the jack stands. The two rear jack points and fine but ontop of wood to spread out the force.

I have to tweak this setup. I want to remove the cardboard between the bricks and level the car out a bit more. Then I will place the jacks under the car just in case. Again,... with no real weight on them. I will need to move them to drop the tranny etc.

Dont need a spring compressor right now? Oh. I thought I read that to remove front suspension I had to compress the spring in order to remove the assembly. I'll read it again. Not going to do that right now anyways. Going to start with the back of the car first. Rear suspension, tranny etc.

I didnt know autozone rented tools. I need an engine hoist but dont really want ot buy one seeing that im probably only going to need it for this job right now. And maybe its me,... but renting for free?!?!? like,... what do you mean? Like free free???
Old 05-22-2010, 02:49 PM
lejams
Pro

That set-up is out right dangerous waiting for an accident. I wouldn't put anyone I cared about under that car much less myself.

Do yourself a favor and follow the good advise Chris gave you. It's plain foolishness to choose a inferior/dangerous method when a sound one is readily available before you. Just because you got away doing that kind of shat before doesn't mean you will again.

This should be in Common Sense file located at the fore-front of your brain.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:07 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lejams
That set-up is out right dangerous waiting for an accident. I wouldn't put anyone I cared about under that car much less myself.

Do yourself a favor and follow the good advise Chris gave you. It's plain foolishness to choose a inferior/dangerous method when a sound one is readily available before you. Just because you got away doing that kind of shat before doesn't mean you will again.

This should be in Common Sense file located at the fore-front of your brain.
Lejams, he has been warned. You can lead a horse to water but you cant make them drink Its his life. Im interested in seen the pics of the progress.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:52 PM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Exactly what he said. I was warned years ago too with my first car and I'm sure I will be warned again after this. Thanks for your concern.

If you think my setup is crazy you should the guy with stacked up wood under his car. Now that's crazy.
Old 05-25-2010, 03:24 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Was going through the FSM for the procedure for removing the brakes and there isnt any! It's says, "Remove brake calipers". Thats it?

I checked clark's and nothing there either.

What do I do about the brake lines? Do I just unfasten the lines and remove the calipers? or what?

I also noticed that the mounting point on the torsin tube on the passenger side is bent. I could probably bang it out straight again,... but should I? Should I find a new one? I'll take pics when I get home from work.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cvriv.charles
Was going through the FSM for the procedure for removing the brakes and there isnt any! It's says, "Remove brake calipers". Thats it?

I checked clark's and nothing there either.

What do I do about the brake lines? Do I just unfasten the lines and remove the calipers? or what?

I also noticed that the mounting point on the torsin tube on the passenger side is bent. I could probably bang it out straight again,... but should I? Should I find a new one? I'll take pics when I get home from work.
When somebody asks a very basic question about brakes I usually say its time to leave them alone! If you don’t know what you are doing brakes are not the place to be playing around.

But if you are just taking the car apart for parts – what does it matter? Just cut the lines off its quicker!

What do you need a new torsion tube for? Are you really going to try and fix that car? You won’t be able to ‘bang that out’ without a lot of heat. Even if possible I don’t know why you would want to.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:10 AM
carlege
Drifting

it might do you some good to research the Porsche manuals if your having trouble. there are Exploded Axonametric drawings that explain how it all goes together. i believe its connected by 2 pins but dont hold me to that
Old 05-25-2010, 09:48 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris White
When somebody asks a very basic question about brakes I usually say its time to leave them alone!
"When someone asks a stupid question I just ignore them."
Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by carlege
it might do you some good to research the Porsche manuals if your having trouble. there are Exploded Axonametric drawings that explain how it all goes together. i believe its connected by 2 pins but dont hold me to that
Im asking about the brake lines. I can figure out how to get the brakes off. I was just wondering if there was more than just disconnecting them but I guess not,....
Old 05-25-2010, 09:56 AM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by cvriv.charles
Im asking about the brake lines. I can figure out how to get the brakes off. I was just wondering if there was more than just disconnecting them but I guess not,....
they screw in.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:00 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by carlege
they screw in.
I know. I was asking,... do I just unscrew them and let them drain out there or is there a whole other procedure that I have to do first to drain them. Dont worry about it. I know what I have to do now.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

I was killing a few minutes and decided to read this thread. I wish I hadn't. I'll predict this thread and that project don't have a very bright future. Only Lart can save this.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:36 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tedro951
I was killing a few minutes and decided to read this thread. I wish I hadn't. I'll predict this thread and that project don't have a very bright future. Only Lart can save this.
Thank you for being so mean. I wish I could give you back those few minutes of your life but I cant. So,... sorry
Old 05-25-2010, 11:43 AM
cvriv.charles
Instructor

Even though everyone is being so mean,... im going to continue posting.

Are these standard 951 brakes?

Stripped bolt,...

And a helicoil holding up my brakes. Lovely.

Im thinking about rebuilding these but im not sure. When I was driving the car I had plenty of braking power. Maybe I'll just strip them down and coat them. I tried removing that huge bolt but it wont budge. And Im fresh out of the WD40. Plus, the snapped trailing arm isnt making it any easier.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

yes those are standard 951 brakes, how did you stripped the bolts?

Quick Reply: CVRIV's Project 951