tuning AFR question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
StyleLab
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tuning AFR question

Hi,

I've been tuning my AFR lately and have some questions. I am running 1 bar of boost and get a constant 11.8:1 at WOT up to redline. From previous discussions, I have read reccomendations for slightly leaner or richer AFR target conditions. My question is what is the difference in spoolup and hp/tq values for say an AFR or either 11:1 or 12.5:1 at the same engine speed/boost. Would it be desirable to tune richer or leaner while boost builds for improved spoolup? Thanks in advance!

-Nick
Old 04-29-2010, 02:57 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12.5:1 will give you more power; it's actually the right air/fuel for power.
Most here will run into the mid-high elevens because of the added safety gained with a barely noticeably drop in power. Low elevens you will notice the power drop a bit.

For spool-up that would be pre max power; therefore you can be leaner (even leaner than 12.5), only for that short time before you hit higher boost levels. I think leaner generally gives hotter exhaust and heat helps to spin the turbine.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:21 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. That pretty much covers it. Mine is in the 11's at wot because it's safer but I understand the above to be correct.

Quick Reply: tuning AFR question