Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Manual steering thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:03 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony - I'm not even close (light years away) to the level of your competitiveness so forgive my ignorance, but given equally prepared cars other than steering modes, I don't see why a PS setup would have a faster lap time over a manual. I would think for anyone... finding the fastest line through a turn and being able to hold that speed deeper (via superior braking) and getting into your power band quicker out of the turn equals faster lap times???
Old 04-17-2010, 11:24 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
The question is: Are you as fast and consistent with manual steering vs the power assist?

None of us are and we've been doing this for a long time. The lap times tell the story.

After all... it's about the lap times.

TonyG
Actually, it's all about track position.

I think lap time variance between using power vs manual steering is a function of specific driver rather than the steering type itself. In other words a specific driver, due to personal ability, experience, or preference, might feel more comfortable "on edge" with one type of steering over another. That comfort level could very well then translate into quicker lap times. So if someone has the ability/experience/preference for one over the other, then it will be reflected in their lap times.

Steering type alone is not a variable in braking force, hp or torque, mechanical grip, or aero. The physics applied to braking/power/grip are not affected by power vs manual steering. The car doesn't care if it has power vs manual steering. The only variable is the input necessary from the driver, which is highly subjective. So if you remove the driver from the equation, power vs manual steering would have no effect on lap times.

To state that a car with manual steering (or power steering) is "faster" is drawing a false conclusion that it is the steering type, rather than the driver, that is the resultant factor.

...IMHO of course.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:36 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have nothing but good to say about my manual rack (it has not been on the track yet) but the big difference with me is i have a 924s and i still have fairly narrow tires. i felt the car was just a touch over assisted and dull with the stock rack. (this may not be true with the wider 944, ive never driven one) so far i enjoy the added feedback and leak free performance the manual rack has given me.

slow tight turns do take effort, so it is easy for me to see why it may not be the best option for those with wider tires.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:40 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think its false at at all the first guy said he couldn't Physically brake while turning in or trial brake . that translates to not being as fast ..
the car possibly be as fast around the circuit but you had to be a body builder to get around fast ..
My front end has about 8 degrees of Castor so i would not consider dropping power steer for a second .
I will look at fitting a 2.6 turn rack from another car ...preferably little Jap car so it doesn't have to much power assist . But me and my pal are pretty good with the hydraulics stuff so i imagine we could adjust it if we need
Old 04-18-2010, 09:30 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Rick Bye who competed in every race in the Challenge and Turbo Cup series in Canada (1986-1990) said about the Turbo Cup cars, "if there was one thing they needed, that was power steering - it felt very heavy with the slicks up front." Thought that was interesting. I still run a manual rack on my 951.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Oh yeah, and I am jealous that he is on the track already….
Originally Posted by shiners780

And yes, Van sucks for already having hit the track.
So, I shouldn't tell you guys that I got to take my students 996 twin turbo with 600 HP out for a session?!? What a monster that car was! Easily the fastest thing I've driven (or even ridden in) at the track. I felt the power of that thing was going to rip the fabric of space!

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
My front end has about 8 degrees of Castor so i would not consider dropping power steer for a second .
Interesting about the caster - I'll have to play with adjusting it and see if it changes the steering dynamic.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:47 AM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have an an 87 with P/S and an 83 without P/S from the factory. I really enjoy driving the 83 a lot better around tight corners. I do not track. The manual rack just gives me much more of that race car feel that I am looking for in a sports car.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

FWIW, GT3 cups (both 996 and 997) have power steering...
Old 04-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

couldn't agree more...

Actually, it's all about track position.

I think lap time variance between using power vs manual steering is a function of specific driver rather than the steering type itself. In other words a specific driver, due to personal ability, experience, or preference, might feel more comfortable "on edge" with one type of steering over another. That comfort level could very well then translate into quicker lap times. So if someone has the ability/experience/preference for one over the other, then it will be reflected in their lap times.

Steering type alone is not a variable in braking force, hp or torque, mechanical grip, or aero. The physics applied to braking/power/grip are not affected by power vs manual steering. The car doesn't care if it has power vs manual steering. The only variable is the input necessary from the driver, which is highly subjective. So if you remove the driver from the equation, power vs manual steering would have no effect on lap times.

To state that a car with manual steering (or power steering) is "faster" is drawing a false conclusion that it is the steering type, rather than the driver, that is the resultant factor.

...IMHO of course.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:33 PM
carreracoupe997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Van, take a little castor out. makes a big difference with a manual rack.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:06 PM
CPR
Race Director

I'd have to respectfully disagree with Chris' notion about manual steering being harder to keep ahead of the vehicle dynamics when on the edge. I found that the signals came quicker with manual steering; as a tire began to lose grip that sensation was transferred immediately and with more emphasis than with power steering, allowing me to make a quicker correction response. With power, the signals got somewhat lost and came a tad later; the tire was farther past that initial point of losing grip and that sensation was more subtle, resulting in a slower correction response.

Personally, I have tracked with both, and prefer manual.

And yes, Van sucks for already having hit the track.
Jim,

Is this reference for a 951 in race trim weight +/- 2500lbs....or in stock form of 3100 lbs?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
The question is: Are you as fast and consistent with manual steering vs the power assist?
None of us are and we've been doing this for a long time. The lap times tell the story.
After all... it's about the lap times.
TonyG
Can't easily test this now, but back when I did have ps the pump broke at a de. So, I removed the belt and drove with no significant difference in lap times. The manual rack works much better than a non-working PS.

So, how did you document the 1 second loss with a manual rack?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:48 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPR
Jim,

Is this reference for a 951 in race trim weight +/- 2500lbs....or in stock form of 3100 lbs?
I have tracked many different variations of 944 and 951, stock weight and lightened/modified, street tires and sticky race tires.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:05 PM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

my experience would be just with the N/A's

but, before my 1st autocross with my manual rack early car, I asked a buddy of mine to test drive his car around the parking lot with power steering - also early car

they were both fine, it was somewhat easier to back up for parking spot in the power steering car

but driving around - I couldn't really see the difference, plus I was so used to my manual rack car, that I enjoyed my car much better then the car with power steering

ofcourse, this is the slow N/A and not a "mosnter" track 951, so these things could easily change with bigger wheels/tires/brakes/power
Old 04-18-2010, 05:20 PM
CPR
Race Director

I have tracked many different variations of 944 and 951, stock weight and lightened/modified, street tires and sticky race tires.
I know that

What I was asking is that in either trim (race or street) you prefer manual over PS?

Quick Reply: Manual steering thoughts