Kelly Moss 968 Turbo Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:12 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kelly Moss 968 Turbo Video

I was looking at youtube and came across Soloracer's 968 Turbo video. I just had to post it, for I love the sound of this car. It is simply, amazing! Solo, what exhaust and muffler do you have on this car too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hQ7D...eature=related
Old 03-13-2010, 09:40 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, solo's car has to be at the top or very near of the street 944.68 food chain. There are a couple of nice videos attached to Rolex's that are also nice. I wonder who's car this one is:

[yt/]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i42enfZobI&feature=player_embedded[yt]
Old 03-13-2010, 11:47 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is a cool car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu4Rr...eature=related
Old 03-13-2010, 12:00 PM
DivineE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure that's all on the intake side in the original video. Just sounds like he's got a DV valve that isn't releasing sufficient pressure fast enough (so causing turbo stall) and is located very close to the air filter so much more of the sound can escape. My car used to make that exact sound but less frequently (only when you backed off too sharply at full boost) usually when driving too quickly down a tight road so your constantly interrupting the turbo mid revs to jump back on the brake! - I know its not good for the turbo but I have to admit that ruuush, flutter pop and watching the nose dive as you jump off boost sharply never got old!

Used to put a big uncontrollable child's grin on my face every time I imagine your car would do it too if you floor it in 2nd then jump straight off the throttle and onto the brake at say 4000rpm
Old 03-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Originally Posted by DivineE
I'm pretty sure that's all on the intake side in the original video. Just sounds like he's got a DV valve that isn't releasing sufficient pressure fast enough (so causing turbo stall) and is located very close to the air filter so much more of the sound can escape...
That's a DV that vents to atmosphere which is why you can hear it. Have one on my car.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Skip Wolfe; 03-13-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:47 PM
spyder348
Pro

looks exactly the same as my setup skip.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:59 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 653 Likes on 507 Posts

i would sell a kidney and a child for that car
Old 03-13-2010, 04:47 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ELLSSUU
Yes, solo's car has to be at the top or very near of the street 944.68 food chain. There are a couple of nice videos attached to Rolex's that are also nice. I wonder who's car this one is:

[yt/]
That's down here in Western Australia.

Rob, Solo just posted some more stuff on his thread only last week. Showing the underside of his car finally. You can see the turbo location etc.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...turbo+968+solo

Last edited by 333pg333; 03-13-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:23 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by DivineE
I'm pretty sure that's all on the intake side in the original video. Just sounds like he's got a DV valve that isn't releasing sufficient pressure fast enough (so causing turbo stall) and is located very close to the air filter so much more of the sound can escape. My car used to make that exact sound but less frequently (only when you backed off too sharply at full boost) usually when driving too quickly down a tight road so your constantly interrupting the turbo mid revs to jump back on the brake! - I know its not good for the turbo but I have to admit that ruuush, flutter pop and watching the nose dive as you jump off boost sharply never got old!

Used to put a big uncontrollable child's grin on my face every time I imagine your car would do it too if you floor it in 2nd then jump straight off the throttle and onto the brake at say 4000rpm
It's one of those dirty pleasures that's more dangerous than you realize...you know that can snap your impeller shaft, yes?

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
That's a DV that vents to atmosphere which is why you can hear it. Have one on my car.
Diverter valves that vent to atmosphere are blowoff valves...and apologies to the guys who run them, but be honest with yourselves...BOVs are ricer equipment in the worst way

Look at it this way: DVs keep your turbo spooled, so buy one and be faster
Old 03-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Yeah Kelly Moss is all about the Ricer effect - they are such hacks.

So just so i get this straight - you are claiming that a recirculating diverter valve keeps the turbo spooled up but a blow off valve that vents to the atmosphere doesn't - correct? Please explain why - it's been a while since I took fluid mechanics.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:21 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Skip Wolfe
Yeah Kelly Moss is all about the Ricer effect - they are such hacks.

So just so i get this straight - you are claiming that a recirculating diverter valve keeps the turbo spooled up but a blow off valve that vents to the atmosphere doesn't - correct? Please explain why - it's been a while since I took fluid mechanics.
It was an uneducated statement but, I like your style.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:52 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

The way it was explained to me...

A BOV simply allows the turbo to spin down safely: The throttle plate closes, the engine can't ingest all of the air that the compressor is putting out, and it's not creating enough exhaust to drive the turbine. The BOV allows the compressed air to escape without backing up and surging against the compressor. It has no drive power to continue compressing air out the open BOV, so it slows down.

A DV creates a closed loop: The high-pressure air coming out of the compressor is fed back into the compressor, and thus it is able to continue spinning (over the brief time spans involved) because it doesn't require any significant power to drive a compressor running at a 1:1 ratio [that is, when the output air is not compressed any more than the input air].
Old 03-14-2010, 09:16 AM
DivineE
Racer

..and just to add that if your getting that sound rather than one solid TSSSSHHH or chirp from your blow off valve its not doing its job properly.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:27 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm pretty sure the exhaust is custom built - especially with the turbo location. I don't know what muffler is on it but I can look to see if there are any markings.

As for the BOV - believe it or not the car didn't have one on it when it came from KMR. I added the Tial BOV as I was concerned about compressor surge and feel it may have been partially the reason the original turbo eventually failed. The car is running a Motec M4 and has a MAP sensor so loss of metered air shouldn't be an issue like with the stock flapper door.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
As for the BOV - believe it or not the car didn't have one on it when it came from KMR.
That's absurd!
I just watched the first video in this thread and thought the bov was too stiff to open, didn't even cross my mind that it could be missing altogether..

Quick Reply: Kelly Moss 968 Turbo Video