Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

While I'm in there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:32 AM
Ziff951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default While I'm in there?

I'm getting prepped to do my belts and also pulled off the intake manifold to do the ground wires and check the work the PO did, and do a general clean and check.... any other stuff I should do (maintenance wise) while I've got her opened up?
Currently the car has:
LR MAF
Sport Turbo
55lbs inj.
3" exhaust
dp wastegate
The AFR at idle takes a while to stabilize at 14.7 and I changed the O2 sensor but that didn't help...any sensors under the intake that might be to blame?
what about the intake gaskets...just replace them? It looks like one might have been a tiny bit leaky...that vacuum leak could be causing the idle AFR issue, huh?

Sorry for all the questions, I did a ton of searching, but couldn't find all my answers...Thanks guys...(and girls, if you're helping out, too..;-)

Stephen
Old 03-05-2010, 04:43 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

intake manifold gaskets need to be replaced every time the mani is removed. They are a one-time use thing. If you pull off the intake manifold, you should replace all the vacuum lines and do the venturi delete.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:33 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check the speed and reference sensors. Look to see if the wires are worn out. They are a lot easier to replace when the intake manifold is off.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:21 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

H2O pump and maybe reseal the oil cooler while you have the belts off...
Old 03-05-2010, 03:35 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

And were off....
Old 03-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Ziff951
Instructor

Crap, this list is gonna get long, huh? Oh well...thanks for the info, I'm checking into everything being mentioned. Here's a pic of my current condition....
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
intake manifold gaskets need to be replaced every time the mani is removed. They are a one-time use thing. If you pull off the intake manifold, you should replace all the vacuum lines and do the venturi delete.
Not 100% true. They are not a crush type like the exhaust gaskets or a head gasket. While it is advisable that they be replaced after an intake removal, in a jam, if they are still intact and not brittle, they can be re-used.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:52 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
if they are still intact and not brittle, they can be re-used.
That's the hard part! They've always cracked in half on all the intake's I've pulled. I guess if you put on new ones not long before (couple months maybe?) and had to remove the intake again then they probably wouldn't break.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
That's the hard part! They've always cracked in half on all the intake's I've pulled. I guess if you put on new ones not long before (couple months maybe?) and had to remove the intake again then they probably wouldn't break.
Very true. I re-used mine, but they were maybe 4000 miles old when I pulled the intake for the 2nd time. The ones that were there when I bought it pretty much crumpled...
Old 03-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, the intake gaskets can be reused if they are in good shape – the original factory installed ones will have all aged out by now!

Now for one of my pet peeves – whats with all this colorful silicon vacuum lines? There is no better vacuum line than the stock type hard lines. The connectors, Tees and Ys may need replacement but the hard lines are way better than any flexible ‘vacuum’ line.

If you ask nicely most NAPA stores either has it in stock or will order it for you.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Yes, the intake gaskets can be reused if they are in good shape – the original factory installed ones will have all aged out by now!

Now for one of my pet peeves – whats with all this colorful silicon vacuum lines? There is no better vacuum line than the stock type hard lines. The connectors, Tees and Ys may need replacement but the hard lines are way better than any flexible ‘vacuum’ line.

If you ask nicely most NAPA stores either has it in stock or will order it for you.
Maybe he is a bit like me and like blue hoses Anyways yes you can use the intake gaskets again if they are not OLD i used my current two times. But they are very cheap .
Old 03-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by Chris White

I also hate this. I bought the lindsey kit, but only used what was necessary to replace to Ts. I kept as much of the hard line as I could (except where it broke, and I repaired it with a piece of silicon).

I didn't know NAPA had it tho...
Old 03-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

The problem I see with the silicone hose is that it gets softer with heat and its much easier to kink or slip off. The hard plastic lines do not swell or fold over.

Some of the ‘typical’ silicone lines get soft enough that they will come off at boost when they are hot.

And while you like color….I only like it if it is a nice match with other things in the engine bay (like a color that matched AN fittings) – but that’s just personal taste .
Old 03-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Darwantae951

Hmm...I didn't know about those characteristics. I just figured it was kind of pointless to replace the plastic hard lines...to me, the plastic lines seemed superior to the silicone.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:05 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

On my old NA most of those "superior" vacuum lines were melted i also snapped the line going to the FPR just by slightly pulling it . Even if the silicone lines get soft they wont jump off if they are used together with hose clamps. The silicone lines can even be crimped to check for leaks and change in the idle for example.

Quick Reply: While I'm in there?