Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Which bolt in roll bar.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:38 PM
spyder348
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which bolt in roll bar.

Looking at race autopower bolt in bar. ? bolt in ok to meet most standards ? where do the mounting points end up in the car ? anyone have a link to an old thread with pics?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:31 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what standards are you trying to meet? I run my Redline bolt in bar w/ PCA HPDE and it works great, bolts to the rear seatbelt locations. Autopower is a nice bar but you must drill some holes.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:33 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

I have a Safety Devices cage, its pretty nice. Any bolt in cage is going to require drilling holes, only the Redline rollbar (which I also have) uses stock holes.

If anyone wants to buy my 6 point Safety Deivces cage, let me know. I think I am going to get out of the game shortly.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:19 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Originally Posted by sh944
I think I am going to get out of the game shortly.
Umm...?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

I have the Safety Devices 6 pt. Fits very well and has pretty good clearances.
The following users liked this post:
xsocaltrashx (02-16-2020)
Old 02-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Norm Swanberg
Advanced

I have an Autopower bolt in bar. I am happy with it, but only do DE and no bar is required. I do not know what rules you will be dealing with. I got the optional diagonal brace and harness bar and recommend both. It is necessary to drill three holes for each of four mounting points. Two mounting points are on the floor behind the front seats and two are on the wheel wells. I took alot of time to cut out enough carpet to allow drilling holes without runs, but left enough that no holes or cutting were visible. It takes me a long time to do anything. I am sure it would be stronger if it were not over carpet, but I think it is strong enough for my level. You do loose the back seat with the diagonal brace or harness bar. You can have the seat back up or down. Once the bar is in you can not change it. It is necessary to take out seats to install. The drivers I did not remove from the car, but unbolted and pushed forward. I squeezed the bar in from the passenger side to install and almost had enough room. I broke the windshield. Later I removed it from a 944na and put in a Turbo. It worked much better going out/in the back hatch than the passenger door. There are backing plates for the mounting points and the ones for the wheel wells were not the right shape. I hammered them and my thumb to get the right contour.
Norm
Old 02-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I got to see a 968 with a squashed autopower roll cage at the club race at Watkins Glen last year….the drivers helmet was damaged….he was lucky to not be paralyzed or worse.

There is a thread on that somewhere….

If you think you really need a cage – get a real cage welded in….please….
Old 02-01-2010, 10:14 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Safety Devices cage, its pretty nice. Any bolt in cage is going to require drilling holes, only the Redline rollbar (which I also have) uses stock holes.

If anyone wants to buy my 6 point Safety Deivces cage, let me know. I think I am going to get out of the game shortly.
Muhahahahaha......and what kind of local deal will you make
Old 02-01-2010, 10:27 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
I got to see a 968 with a squashed autopower roll cage at the club race at Watkins Glen last year….the drivers helmet was damaged….he was lucky to not be paralyzed or worse. There is a thread on that somewhere…. If you think you really need a cage – get a real cage welded in….please….
Har!

The driver in question was only saved because of tubes he had welded in to meet Club Race rules. The stock cage is illegal for most racing series as delivered. Even then, the roof came down far enough to compress his head into his chest and severely restrict his airway. Fortunately, he was able to undo his belts before he passed out.

Here's a nice example of a roll bar that bolted to the floor, and its effectiveness. Look closely, and you can see some of the bar, and how strong the floor is.
Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Those aren't the air jacks?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:15 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

Yep, weld in to structural parts of the car is best, no doubt.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Silver Rose
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Getting out??!?!? Say it aint so.
Keep my number for the Demon Yellow if you completely loose your mind.
I am saving cash for a summer trip to Europe, yes the Porsche factory is on the list, But I can't let the Yellow Demon disappear!!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:41 PM
spyder348
Pro

I have someone that can weld very well. I can drill pretty good. Cool thing about bolt in is it might be nice to be able to remove it if need be. I understand that welding might be stronger and drilling large holes in the body is not something i want to do to my car. thank you for the replys. I think the autopower race bar welded in sounds like the way to go.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:52 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 325 Posts

The problem with the "bolt in" bars isn't that they bolt in, it's *where* they bolt in. They're using the weakest parts of the car, the floorpan and the wheel wells, both of which are single sided steel.

Take a look at how the autopower rollbar punched through the floor of that mustang that rolled at Hallett and see if you're comfortable with that. I know I'm not...
Old 02-01-2010, 08:35 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Har!

The driver in question was only saved because of tubes he had welded in to meet Club Race rules. The stock cage is illegal for most racing series as delivered. Even then, the roof came down far enough to compress his head into his chest and severely restrict his airway. Fortunately, he was able to undo his belts before he passed out.

Here's a nice example of a roll bar that bolted to the floor, and its effectiveness. Look closely, and you can see some of the bar, and how strong the floor is.
John, I'm the person Down Under who is enquiring about your half cage now. Can you elaborate somewhat on how yours would be superior to the one in that Mustang. Thanks

Quick Reply: Which bolt in roll bar.