Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

dual factory oil coolers

Old 09-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff N.
Thanks Chris, what sort of hot pressure are you seeing? Any chance you have an oil temp gauge?
No oil temp gauge yet. I hardly have time to work on my own car, and when I do I'm usually too lazy. Hence scrambling to install the 2nd stock cooler I had sitting on the shelf for ages the night before a track event . . . .

My factory oil pressure gauge is pegged at just below 5 bar hot at anything above 2,500-3,000 RPM, same as before the extra cooler. My engine has 130K miles and has never been apart.

At idle I see 3 bar warm on the street, same as before. Hot coming off track, it is now around 2 bar at idle, whereas before it would be barely above 1. Once again I'm sure most of this is due to cooler oil, but part of it could be attributed to changing oil type at the same time. I wish I could have done it in stages, but didn't have time.

Your observation about pressure drop through the system once the oil thermostat opens makes sense, but I haven't seen any difference since installing the 2nd cooler.

Re the cooling temps, I wonder if your condenser was really blocking the airflow. I haven't had any cooling issues at all and didn't notice any water temp change with the oil cooler.
I wonder the same thing. My condenser wasn't TOO packed with crap, but it could have been just enough to make a difference. My coolant temps do not read any cooler in normal driving than they did before, only during hard track driving. I do believe that cooler oil can equal cooler water temps, especially since I still run the factory "wet" turbo setup w/ the auxilliary water pump. Many racers remove it since it superheats the coolant on track running through the red-hot turbo, but I like the idea of coolant running to the turbo after shutoff since this is also my only car. I would think that running cooler oil to the turbo can knock down the temp of the coolant since they are going to the same place.

Once again, I wish that I could have done it in stages and compared results. Maybe the next person who does this mod (and somehow keeps A/C) and tracks it on a hot day could monitor the results and post them.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:17 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Thom
Thanks Chris.
I would second Jeff's comment - the AC condenser does gather lots of filth and dust throughout the years, after mine was removed the coolant gauge has been showing cooler than ever before.

Are the original oil lines actually M22 or M26 like Jeff said earlier?
They are M22.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the notes Chris.

I'm seeing about 4bar hot on Mobil 1 15/50. I'm wondering if it's getting time for a bottom end rebuild. 190k, rod bearings done at 140k.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

For those who were wondering, I just looked under the '89 we have in the shop, and it uses the same condenser/hoses as the '86. In fact, according to PET, even the 968 uses the same part #s for the condenser and hoses.

So, anyone hoping to keep the factory A/C and mount an additional factory oil cooler in that location would have to space it out from the radiator frame like I did, and fill in that space and/or block it off so that no air gets between the 2. As previously mentioned, this also eliminates the need to move/modify the headlight wiring harness.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:35 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Duke, what oil do you use and what oil pressure are you seeing on idle fully warmed-up?
Full warmed up after some highway testing 3 bar @ idle.
Probably is a bit less at idle directly after a track session.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll just chime in on this, haven't been following it a lot, but we see 2.0 to 2.5 at hot idle after a track session, max oil temp seen is 220-230 but that's hot ambient and no session in between my drive or Jim's drive, ie we try to schedule the car to get a rest between white and blue sessions to cool it down; green drives between white and blue solo sessions.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bret - can you help with the following?

What are your hot, high RPM oil pressures?
What brand and weight oil are you running?
How many miles on your bottom end?
Was the last (if any) rebuild rods only or rods and mains?
Where are you measuring your oil temp?

This should help with various comparisons.

Cheers!

Jeff
Old 10-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

disclaimer, this is from old engine, new one has not been on the track yet but everything is the same and all have been cleaned.

Originally Posted by Jeff N.
Bret - can you help with the following?

What are your hot, high RPM oil pressures? 5 bar
What brand and weight oil are you running? VR-1 Valvoline
How many miles on your bottom end? It was 4 years, avg 6 events, but car got double duty with two drivers on weekends
Was the last (if any) rebuild rods only or rods and mains? All were new when we built it
Where are you measuring your oil temp? at the turbo drain fitting so our laser has said that's 10 deg higher than the lines we measured at the inlet of the first cooler.

This should help with various comparisons.

Cheers!

Jeff

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dual factory oil coolers