Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How hot does engine oil get in DD?

Old 01-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
For that gasket, I would personally use Hylomar. I am pretty sure Permatex is distributing it again so you should be able to find it at your auto store. It is a great gasket prep and is non hardening, so it does not make a mess on disassembly and will not clog oil channels if you use too much. It is oil, fuel and coolant resistant.
Sounds quite similar to the Loctite #3, which is also non-hardening, oil, fuel and coolant resistant gasket prep.

The one thing I dislike about the loctite #3 is its colour -- it's a thin, brown, bituminous liquid that closely resembles the colour of engine oil. I'd prefer to more easily distinguish sealant from leaking oil! What colour is the Hylomar?

What's the story about "blocking oil channels"? I haven't heard about this.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:32 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It is a very rich blue color. It's very tacky also. I use the stuff whereever I think I need it and have never had leaks. That includes the RMS (outter ring), turbo drain, all the front oil seals, waterpump, coolant necks and also on both sides of the intake manifold gasket so they don't fuse to the head or intake.

Using too much of a hardening gasket material causes it to squish out around the sides. What squeezes out can work it's way into the cooling or oil system as a result. The same way you see your brown loctite on the outside.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How hot does engine oil get in DD?