Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Aluminum Radiator / Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:38 PM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,

I do not track my car but wondered if this would be overkill for a normal road going 968? I only ask because here in Arizona during the summer our temps get to 115+. Any extra cooling benefits are a plus. Awesome looking, just amazing!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:43 AM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the oil coolers looks a little small. Looks similar to the stock one on euro spec e36 M3 which is commonly know to be to small for that car, and it does not even have a turbo. Maybe the picture is giving the wrong impression? Overall the radiator look excellent and having a aluminum radiator for a track car is a great investment in your engines health.

Building my car on a tight budget and living in a colder part of the world I believe this would to the trick

W:405mm H:146mm D:50mm and 19 rows.

Connected to the bottom of the radiator with these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRANS...Q5fAccessories

Living in the cold north gotta have some benefits
Old 01-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Lets see if I can cover this again…

I worked with the fabricator (Wizard Cooling) to get the design right (size, layout, and fitment) . We made quite a few changes to get it right. After some prototypes we got it right and its now being made with laser cut parts for the end tanks.

I could have paid a significant fee to be the sole distributor of the final product. Maybe I would have made a couple of extra bucks in the long run – but I would have had to change a bunch more (at least $100) for each radiator. I hate to make stuff more expensive when the only reason would be for me to make more $ (yeah, I know that sounds ‘unamerican’ but that’s just me). So you can get the radiator from a number of sources. I doubt that any are cheaper and I know that none of them have the most current version in stock (the pictures posted earlier are of the latest modification!). The picture on the Lindsey site is the old design, you can’t fit stock fans with that layout.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Thom
I could do with a new radiator, however I'm not sure a new OEM radiator and the addition of a second stock oil cooler won't allow less performance than this set up.
I’ll let the confusing grammar slide on this one(!)…I believe I understand you comment!

As I have always said - the stock radiator, as long as it is in good condition, will support your cooling needs for most applications. Most stock radiators are now quite old and nicely coated with ‘stuff’ from years of service and whatever the previous owner poured in to the cooling system! I have also said that the stock oil cooler is woefully inadequate – even for stock engines!

The problem with the additional oil coolers is that it is very difficult to find a place to mount one that has good air flow. Good air flow is the key to good cooling! If you are still running the AC condenser then adding an oil cooler in front is stacking up three air to liquid heat exchangers in a row….not optimal! The side mounted oil coolers do not get very good air flow unless you are hacking large holes in your front bumper cover. The combo rad/oil cooler is a convenient way to add more oil and water cooling. The oil cooler is in the air flow and will do a fine job cooling the oil.

BTW – the cooler mounts that Ksira linked to are a great way to ruin your cooler and radiator. Might as well just get some long sheet metal screws and randomly screw through the cooler….
Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by flwbyu
Chris,

I do not track my car but wondered if this would be overkill for a normal road going 968? I only ask because here in Arizona during the summer our temps get to 115+. Any extra cooling benefits are a plus. Awesome looking, just amazing!
Are you having problems now? You may just have an old radiator that has lost its cooling efficiency. If you are not tracking or really driving hard then a stock radiator will do fine. If you are having problems then a new radiator is in order. The larger aluminum radiator is not much more than a stock replacement and will add cooling capacity. If you plan on tracking the car then the rad /oil combo might be a good idea.
My turbo 968 has the rad/oil combo…but that’s a little different beast!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 AM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
I’ll let the confusing grammar slide on this one(!)…I believe I understand you comment!

As I have always said - the stock radiator, as long as it is in good condition, will support your cooling needs for most applications. Most stock radiators are now quite old and nicely coated with ‘stuff’ from years of service and whatever the previous owner poured in to the cooling system! I have also said that the stock oil cooler is woefully inadequate – even for stock engines!

The problem with the additional oil coolers is that it is very difficult to find a place to mount one that has good air flow. Good air flow is the key to good cooling! If you are still running the AC condenser then adding an oil cooler in front is stacking up three air to liquid heat exchangers in a row….not optimal! The side mounted oil coolers do not get very good air flow unless you are hacking large holes in your front bumper cover. The combo rad/oil cooler is a convenient way to add more oil and water cooling. The oil cooler is in the air flow and will do a fine job cooling the oil.

BTW – the cooler mounts that Ksira linked to are a great way to ruin your cooler and radiator. Might as well just get some long sheet metal screws and randomly screw through the cooler….
No problem using cooler mounts like that. Have used this before for several years without any problems. In fact the same mounting was part of the package when I bought an earls oil cooler a few years ago. I still have doubts about the oil cooler size on the radiator. Has it been tested on slow tracks with sharp turns and hard acceleration in slow speed?
Old 01-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Chris,
The A/C condenser is long gone.
I run a front mount intercooler (incase you didn't see my signature), which means the oil cooler in this set up won't be exposed as well as the stock oil cooler already is.
I don't see how the oil cooler in your set up will benefit from better flow since it's further back into the bumper than the stock vertical cooler which is further up front - since I installed the front mount intercooler I noticed that coolant temp rises more quickly than before, when driving below a certain speed. Should it be any different with an oil cooler, I don't think so.

Anyway, do you have hard datas showing this set up offers better cooling than some other, especially the stock set up?
Old 01-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Joel8005
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Group buy....... count me in!!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

OK, I think we went through this before last year when I first posted about this radiator. Here are a couple of basics –
• As long as the air flow is good (!) the size of a cooler is mostly about the volume not the frontal area. The oil cooler in the rad/oil cooler combo has a lot of volume, much more than stock.
• The air flow to the oil cooler in the rad/oil cooler combo is a lot better than the stock oil cooler and any of the cooler add ons that keep the stock fascia intact. If you are putting more stuff in front of the radiator I can’t predict what will happen, if it really blocks air flow then you are going to have cooling problems anyway.
• Air flow to a cooler (oil or radiator) has nothing to do with the depth or distance from the front of the fascia. It has to do with the ducting. There is a lot of aerodynamics involved with proper ducting – most people get it wrong. You cannot ‘force’ air though and opening (ram air only starts working near supersonic speeds), you need to ‘encourage’ it to flow to where you want it.
• At really low speeds that rad/oil cooler combo work well because the stock fan shroud will draw air through the oil cooler – that does not happen at all with the stock or other add on coolers.
• My “hard data” shows that the radiator works fine with the particular engine combo I have used it on. I am not sure what people want with ‘hard data’ – technically it only applies to this engine, its mods and engine management, the ducting and the track conditions when tested. If you think your engine set up is running in such a way that it is making excessive oil temps you can always include the stock oil cooler in series with this set up.
• And finally – using any radiator fins and tubes as a mounting method for an add on cooler is just plain dumb. You are basically zip tying together two pieces of very thin aluminum. In a performance vehicle the vibrations (stiffer suspension and hard use) will eventually make the parts fail – and that’s not pretty. Its your car, if you are happy with it then go ahead. If you were to bring it here for a track event tech inspection it will fail – it’s a danger to you and anybody driving near you on the track.

Thats all I got....
Old 01-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Perhaps it was overkill for my application, but the radiator is a quality piece of work. I also bought it with Chris' lines, and just the relocation of the oil cooler really makes things quite a bit nicer down there. Thanks Chris for getting these things to fit better!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:13 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Fair enough Chris, thanks for the post.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:16 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris,

What is the "underhang" on this part? My concern is for race application/ground clearance.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
Chris,

What is the "underhang" on this part? My concern is for race application/ground clearance.

Thanks
It's the same height as the stock radiator.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:17 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris White
OK, I think we went through this before last year when I first posted about this radiator. Here are a couple of basics –
• As long as the air flow is good (!) the size of a cooler is mostly about the volume not the frontal area. The oil cooler in the rad/oil cooler combo has a lot of volume, much more than stock.
• The air flow to the oil cooler in the rad/oil cooler combo is a lot better than the stock oil cooler and any of the cooler add ons that keep the stock fascia intact. If you are putting more stuff in front of the radiator I can’t predict what will happen, if it really blocks air flow then you are going to have cooling problems anyway.
• Air flow to a cooler (oil or radiator) has nothing to do with the depth or distance from the front of the fascia. It has to do with the ducting. There is a lot of aerodynamics involved with proper ducting – most people get it wrong. You cannot ‘force’ air though and opening (ram air only starts working near supersonic speeds), you need to ‘encourage’ it to flow to where you want it.
• At really low speeds that rad/oil cooler combo work well because the stock fan shroud will draw air through the oil cooler – that does not happen at all with the stock or other add on coolers.
• My “hard data” shows that the radiator works fine with the particular engine combo I have used it on. I am not sure what people want with ‘hard data’ – technically it only applies to this engine, its mods and engine management, the ducting and the track conditions when tested. If you think your engine set up is running in such a way that it is making excessive oil temps you can always include the stock oil cooler in series with this set up.
• And finally – using any radiator fins and tubes as a mounting method for an add on cooler is just plain dumb. You are basically zip tying together two pieces of very thin aluminum. In a performance vehicle the vibrations (stiffer suspension and hard use) will eventually make the parts fail – and that’s not pretty. Its your car, if you are happy with it then go ahead. If you were to bring it here for a track event tech inspection it will fail – it’s a danger to you and anybody driving near you on the track.

Thats all I got....
Repeat all after OK, but in english.. you freakin engineers with your fancy engineer speak...

And there ya go all trying to make sense and what not.. just tell em it will give them 50HP corrected and life will be good! but you might end up spending all your time dealing with Radiators and not getting much else done!

Originally Posted by disasterman
Chris,

Thanks

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
It's the same height as the stock radiator.
What he said! CWs radiator fits in the stock location, using the stock mounts...
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Euro951
Racer

Any group buy discounts? I see wizard selling the radiator for 999 on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RADIA...item2eb037ab06

Quick Reply: New Aluminum Radiator / Oil Cooler