Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Another smoking question

Old 01-21-2010, 12:32 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 571 Posts
Default Another smoking question

OK I just reinstalled a fresh head from Lindsey and I have good vacuum and boost from the car but upon startup the car will start smoking out the tailpipe after about 2 minutes then won't stop until I run it hard for at least 5 minutes. It does this everytime. All of the valve guides are fresh and there is no scoring or wear evident on my cylinder walls. I run a drilled AOS with a Saiko Michi can. Could this be bad turbo seals causing oil pooling after shutdown?
Old 01-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet hotside seal is leaking. My 26/6 did the same. When I took it off and left it on my bench overnight, oil had seeped into the hotside. I would get the smoke after cold startup and also if I idled for more than a minute or two.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:23 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think you are correct. It smokes at initial idle and seems it continues even if it idles for 30 minutes. As soon as I run it hard or on the road for 10 minutes the tailpipe smoking is gone. Then however it smokes in the engine bay. I found that the smoke seems to be coming from the turbo itself. There are no active leaks as I cleaned the area and jacked it up and sat there waiting for the smoke to come.

Good news is that I switched back from 5w-40 to 15w50, Seafoamed the intake, crankcase, and fuel tank, and now no more smoke from the tailpipe or turbo. Idle is smoother and more vacuum also. It also unstuck my stuck Oil pressure gauge!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Just a general interesting note to remember - it takes quite a while to get all the old oil residue out of the engine, its not uncommon for a new or modified engine to smoke for quite a while. If you old set up was pushing oil through the AOS then you could have a quart or more in the intercooler – it takes quite a while to get that out by driving the car – its need to get the oil quite warm and run under boost for a while to really clear that out.

If you took your head off – the exhaust manifolds will really smoke hard after the first couple of runs – don’t freak out!
Old 01-25-2010, 09:55 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

that's what I am hoping Chris. As the track season is starting I would like to get some seat time in and the thought of the car being down for the spring is dreadful. At this point I am all but committed to dropping an LS2 in and am going to start squirreling away the parts and find a pullout motor for the summertime project

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another smoking question