Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

DIY Hard Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey Jason You ain't from around deese parts hey ??? We don't take to kindly to those who don't take kindly to the mugatu designer vendor sponsor parts ....
Old 01-16-2010, 04:07 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drift a 944
So...

Have we reached a conclusion on this? I tried to read through the last couple pages but I don't see a definite answer.

Is carbon fiber IC piping a consideration or completely out of the question due to insufficient heat tolerances? From what I have heard, carbon fiber does not absorb heat (or much less than aluminum anyway..), but the resin material can melt past a certain degree temp. I have seen them on supercharged cars, where heat is not as high, but I don't think I've seen carbon fiber on a turbo setup. I really have no idea just thought I'd bring it up, while on the topic.
still awaiting reply..
Old 01-16-2010, 05:39 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Guess my conclusion does count because i "apparently" never read that book a got 15 years ago...
Old 01-16-2010, 08:49 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drift a 944
So...

Have we reached a conclusion on this? I tried to read through the last couple pages but I don't see a definite answer.

Is carbon fiber IC piping a consideration or completely out of the question due to insufficient heat tolerances? From what I have heard, carbon fiber does not absorb heat (or much less than aluminum anyway..), but the resin material can melt past a certain degree temp. I have seen them on supercharged cars, where heat is not as high, but I don't think I've seen carbon fiber on a turbo setup. I really have no idea just thought I'd bring it up, while on the topic.
You could make carbon fiber IC piping. There are different resins you can use but I would imagine most can handle the heat of our intake air. Carbon fiber doesn't conduct heat nearly as well as steel or aluminum. So it won't conduct any of the heat from the intake air and disipate it to the underhood air which should be close to ambent temp once moving (guess, not measured). My guess would be the best material would be aluminum and just for the reason of thermal conduction of heat from the intake air to the underhood air.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:42 AM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Red face

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
Guess my conclusion does count because i "apparently" never read that book a got 15 years ago...
They have a great buy one get one free sale on Kleenex at Walmart!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:51 AM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Question

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
Our testing showed a temp drop between the intercooler outlet and the intake plenum.
We would not insulate that pipe either. This was a complete stock bodied car and it still had
the hood seal at the rear. You can theorize and guess all day long. We did the testing,
we are sharing what we learned, and anybody can either accept the reality of it, or not.

If you could move even more air out from under the hood and replace with ambient, then you would have even greater temp drops through the stock pipes and intercooler.
so I take it removing the rear hood seal would aid in cooling off the underhood temps, but how would the air escaping onto the windshield effect aerodynamics, if at all?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:23 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

depending on windscreen rake that is often a high pressure zone which of course inspired reverse scoops of the 70's
Old 01-16-2010, 10:38 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Actually, removing the rear seal would likely cause pressurization in that area. If you remember the old american muscle cars, many had "cowl induction". That is because the transition area is normally high pressure and not low. There was a picture here at one point of air pressure at various spots on a 944. That would show where to put vents.

The design of the 968RS vent is that it has a lip in the front of it. This causes a low pressure area right behind the lip (where the hole is). The idea is gasses flow from high pressure to low.

-Dana
Old 01-16-2010, 11:34 AM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
depending on windscreen rake that is often a high pressure zone which of course inspired reverse scoops of the 70's
Hey good info from a guy who never read corky bell!
Old 01-16-2010, 12:04 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This went offtopic. Gues its not worth creating your own hardpipes. I just wish i could get pipes for under 100 bucks "not worth more" to me
Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 PM
carbongecko
Rennlist Member

i got lindsey racing hard pipes in dull and got it powdercoated by a friend looks great and some one told me that the less bends and smoother they are the cooler the air will stay.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:16 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pipes look great!

Wouldn’t on throttle boost push the recirculating valve open in that position?

Quick Reply: DIY Hard Pipes