Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

We didn't show the picture to talk about our intercooler tubes or change the
original subject to water intercoolers. But to show that we when we say we tested, we actually tested, and not just lip service.

It's about proper material selection for making the pipe and why.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 01-14-2010, 11:57 AM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
a kg of water has more thermal mas then a kg of aluminum and is much cheaper ..
and i really like Julian edgers findings on paraffin filled coolers ....
have you guys herd of Julian Edger?? He can take Corky to school...

Mike did you do much data with how much water was displaced and heat transfered etc ..
there has been plenty of data proves much of the heat is simply put back into the lower pressure charge air in a street driving scenario...
Ah yes, but the problem with that water is that while it does a MUCH more effective job of taking heat OUT of the compressed air, it is also MUCH harder to move the heat out of the water. I've not heard of parafin filled cores, but if you can get a phase change material in there, it is going to extract even MORE heat.

But, one thing that is missed in all of this is that all intercoolers, regardless of fluid (which includes air), is that they all act like heat sinks for a significant period of time. And neither water, nor parrafin will sink heat as well as aluminum. So on the street, chances are you'll never have an actual heat exchange, only heat sinking. Having said that, if you can get the fluid below ambient, then you will get better heat sinking (which is why folks who drag race will often load up their water resivoirs with ice).

At the end of the day, heat is heat is heat. Under steady state conditions, the only difference any of them would see would be related to packaging. If you can't get a good air/air system in place, then a secondary cooling medium which can be routed without causing big losses is a benefit, such as with positive displacement blowers mounted directly to an intake (Ford used to do this on their blown applications like the Lightning, Cobra/GT500, and GT - they all have roots style blowers sitting in their valleys).
Old 01-14-2010, 12:01 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
You would have additional cooling on the second pipe on the outlet of the intercooler, but not as drastic a temp drop because the temp differential would not be a high after the other cooling from the first pipe and intercooler had done their job already.

That was a aluminum pipe. Yes, read Aluminum. Very efficient transfer of heat material. If you build a hard pipe out of a material that does not efficiently transfer heat such as Stainless Steel or Silicone, your working backwards in what your seeking. Horsepower. Small gains from enlarging pipe size and straightening bends will no doubt be lost from higher inlet temps created. Stay aluminum or your being counter productive. The more aluminum surface the better and the less connector hose
the better.
The only thing I'd say here is that it depends on how your air charge temps coming out of the intercooler compare to the underhood temps. If you've got a good enough temperature drop, your ACT will actually be lower than your underhood temps. If that is the case, then aluminum is your enemy. You want an insulator in that situation. I used to run steel pipes on the cool side on my XR because my intercooler was so big that it got my ACT's down close to ambient.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Under hood temps drop when the car is moving and under boost when this all matters. Since we seen a -50F drop in that tube while testing, then obviously it's disipating heat.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 951_RS
I think you both need to relax some...

I guess you missed my point
Old 01-14-2010, 04:41 PM
zainman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok how about putting a reversing valve in your AC system and get a condensing coil to fit in front of your intercooler
Old 01-14-2010, 04:42 PM
zainman
Advanced

just being a smart ***
Old 01-14-2010, 04:59 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

zain, you know a ford lightening did that? It was for a short burst of power.

Mike, what do the thermal pipes cost? They seem like a good way of combining the advantages of an A/A intercooler and A/L intercooler in the 951 packaging limitations.

-Dana
Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 PM
2bridges
Drifting

aluminum is the ideal IC tubing material as I see it (weight,thermal,smooth transitions,etc)
Cost/difficulty in fabrication certainly make it more challenging, but no less the ideal material.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:44 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Well, copper is actually much easier to form and has better thermal conductivity than aluminum. Other than weight, it seems like it would be the best material.

-Dana
Old 01-14-2010, 06:03 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant

I guess you missed my point
I definitely got the point.
It's not like I thought you were really upset or anything
It just seemed like people were taking it pretty serious, I didn't want to get e-shot
Old 01-14-2010, 07:12 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Mike "We didn't show the picture to talk about our intercooler tubes"

er hang on Mike its a thread about making inter cooler tubes
did you say there was a 50 degree temp drop in the post cooler tube as well ?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:02 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
We didn't show the picture to talk about our intercooler tubes or change the
original subject to water intercoolers. But to show that we when we say we tested, we actually tested, and not just lip service.

It's about proper material selection for making the pipe and why.
Mike i would have thought it would have been the exact opposite You would want something that didnt transfer heat well thus keeping the Interior of the pipe as cool as possible coming from the intercooler Almost a double lined piped similar to the exhaust with a small insulated air space.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:16 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carlege
Mike i would have thought it would have been the exact opposite You would want something that didnt transfer heat well thus keeping the Interior of the pipe as cool as possible coming from the intercooler Almost a double lined piped similar to the exhaust with a small insulated air space.
It depends on how well your intercooler works and how hot it is under your hood.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:14 PM
spyder348
Pro

was about to wrap my IC pipes but wanted to ask first, i wonder if wrapping the pipes is good to not let them get heat soaked from the heat coming up from the radiator, or do you want them open to dissapate heat from inside the pipe? if you have a true 3 inch maf inlet to the turbo from fender well how hot can the inside of the turbo to IC pipe actually get?

Quick Reply: DIY Hard Pipes