Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Adonays Project continues. lots of pics...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Car starts and runs fine !. Checked the fuelrail for leaks but diddent seem like there were any at idle and a little reving. Started a testdrive when the car was warm. Trottlerespons is fantastic i may have to put a clamp on the bov as its makeing a very loud vent to air sound. 4th gear is totally different as well much better at lower speeds not so choppy.

Just got back from a test drive . . New problem something seems to leak and generate smoke in the engine compartment it looks like its from somwere under the fuelrail.. Smells a bit like burnt rubber .. I will have a better look at this tomorrow when the sun is there ,,
Old 01-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Update. My oil leak was from the Head Gasket . My mechanic just replaced it . Have a few questions though : Is it possible to use the CV with a Tial wastegate and a boost controller asuming i had a klr chip with modifyed overboost protection? My project is however not going anywere yet before i get my new wastegate in the mail along with my sfr testpipe. Me and my mechanic dont understand what clocking\indexing the turbo means ? Is it just to ajust tha angle to match the way my k26 turbo sits? If i delete the cv what do i do with the vakume line running to the KLR..
Old 01-12-2010, 01:31 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Adonay
Update. My oil leak was from the Head Gasket . My mechanic just replaced it . Have a few questions though : Is it possible to use the CV with a Tial wastegate and a boost controller asuming i had a klr chip with modifyed overboost protection? My project is however not going anywere yet before i get my new wastegate in the mail along with my sfr testpipe. Me and my mechanic dont understand what clocking\indexing the turbo means ? Is it just to ajust tha angle to match the way my k26 turbo sits? If i delete the cv what do i do with the vakume line running to the KLR..
Make sure your mechanic uses a Wide Fire Ring head gasket instead of the standard turbo gasket. Yes you can control the Tial WG with the cycling valve. You can even control the CV (and boost) via the PiggyBack. The KLR chip has nothing to do with overboost protection, this is part of the DME.
Clocking the turbo means setting the angles of the In/Out of the turbo. this is done by loosening the bolts that hold the compressor and the turbine housings. Rotate the housing to match the exhaust. The turbo you received should be clocked already, maybe requiring a bit of rotation. The easiest way to do this is to place old turbo and new turbo side by side on the bench.

If you delete CV you keep the boost line going to the KLR. It is needed to keep the factory boost gauge operational.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Afraid its to late to get a wide fire gasket as he all ready changed the gasket and bolted the top back on after reworking the top etc. He did however tell me he used an upgraded gasket of some sort a comet perhapps.

If you delete CV you keep the boost line going to the KLR. It is needed to keep the factory boost gauge operational
Thank you for that. Its also needed for my after market gauge that is connected to that line..

Not sure when i will install the piggyback\boost controller etc at first looks like a major PITA doing all that soldering will maybe do that in the summer.

If i remove the CV will the dme\klr notice that ?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:02 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Afraid its to late to get a wide fire gasket as he all ready changed the gasket and bolted the top back on after reworking the top etc. He did however tell me he used an upgraded gasket of some sort a comet perhapps.

Thank you for that. Its also needed for my after market gauge that is connected to that line..

Not sure when i will install the piggyback\boost controller etc at first looks like a major PITA doing all that soldering will maybe do that in the summer.

If i remove the CV will the dme\klr notice that ?
If your mechanic used a upgraded gasket, it could possibly be a wide fire gasket. Check with him.

Installing the PiggyBack will take you a couple of hours the first time. Read the instructions first, verify the wire twice, cut and solder once.

If you disconnect the CV the DME/KLR will not care. Of course, you should replace the CV with a boost controller and set the boost correctly.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

I am curious your dme software removed the overboost protection ? My limiting factor now is the wastgate right.. Running a manual boost controller currently although i thought i hit the overboost at 0.9 bar at that testrun could that have been something else?
Old 01-12-2010, 02:19 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I am curious your dme software removed the overboost protection ? My limiting factor now is the wastgate right.. Running a manual boost controller currently although i thought i hit the overboost at 0.9 bar at that testrun could that have been something else?
If you are using the chip/board you do not have overboost. However, when you use the V-FLEX, you can set your own overboost protection via the PiggyBack, even when using a manual boost controller. This gives you the best of both worlds.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

sounds great.. Thank you for explaining that john. Still wondering why my car stopped at rev hmm has to do with the HG..
Old 01-23-2010, 10:07 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

The next two weeks are going to be interesting. My mechanic just installed the stage 3 turbo. Could do it my self but i have no warm garage just a freezing carport. Got a new Package from SpeedForceRacing also today..

3" Testpipe with welded O2 bung.

Along with the Tial 38mm "with spacers".

Both products look great and i cant wait to install them to my car. Hope to make a few videos when my car is running ...
Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

This winter has prevented both me and my mechanic completing the car. This is the sorry state it is in today :-D We are getting there but slowly :-P Only missing the belts,wastegate and testpipe in place. Will be a long 12 hour tomorrow and then maybe we can crank it ..

Blowing the HG was in some way a good thing, as if i had not done that i would probably waited out longer before getting a new water-pump and belts on the car.
Turns out the rollers and water-pump was in a very bad state. My mechanic told me the pump wouldent have had many weeks left and when we inspected the rollers they all made loud scraping sounds when turned.

As the top was off the valves and springs were checked all in very good state however the valve-seats and all gaskets\seals were replaced with new.

The Vitesse turbo has been in for some while just waiting for the rest to be done . The vater cooling pipe that "i" bent broke a little so that needs welding tomorrow.

I suppose my mechanic will do the belts and put the intake back in tomorrow. I will put the exhaust and wastegate in place with the 02 sensor and do some soldering.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:22 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's coming along, as long as you keep progressing you are doing fine.
BTW. You should have the compressor outlet sealed. If something falls inside, you will destroy it in no time. And while at it, seal off the intake ports on the head.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:40 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep up the good work
Old 02-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
keep up the good work
Thank you.

Just got back from the garage . Intake went back on all rollers\belts and cam gear went back the same with the camcover,injectors etc. We called it a day and still need to install the wastegate and some wires\hoses . I am amazed how easy the turbo install went together with exhaust etc. well i did not try to put the maf in place yet but i am sure my mechanic did something to the alternator. At leased i did get to do allot of soldering and sorting out other problems today. I forgot to bring the camera today but will take some pics maybe video when it runns "hopefully" tomorrow.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:47 PM
spyder348
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you install resistors for the injectors?
Old 02-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Yes that and i started on the piggyback today even though i said before i would wait with the PB. Better safe than sorry i guess

Quick Reply: Adonays Project continues. lots of pics...