Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking for some "951 friends"

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:30 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for some "951 friends"

My wife suggested I see if anyone on Rennlist would be interested/willing to help me with my engine rebuild. I'm located on Ft. Belvoir, VA (near Washington, DC). I've got a full suite of tools and should have every part necessary for the rebuild on-hand or on-order. Looking for some folks that wouldn't mind lending their time, experience and opinions. I don't have much in the way of money (already spent over $7k on this project) but my wife is an amazing cook and I've always got cold beer. If you're interested, PM or email. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:22 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Tons of 951 guys in VA... John (JohnKoaWood), Patrick (CPR), Costas (INURGIRL951) just to name a few. Not sure where they are located in relation to you but they're all really helpful guys. If you were closer I'd come help for a weekend, but VA is quite a trip and I've got finals coming up.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:13 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Thanks! I've already bugged John to see if he's free. There's just a few things that I've never done and am a little uncomfortable doing w/o some help, i.e. install crank girdle, oil pump, oil pan gasket.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:13 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

By the time we finish your car up, you will be very intimate with it...

BTW do you have a torque angle meter? I am considering buying one for a project... both the girdle and the head require torque + angle + angle for proper torque application.. the digital gage is much easier to use and more accurate then the mechanical ones, but the mechanical ones do work..

AND

Do you need me to bring along my FSM set?

Let me know when you need me, and I'm there... I haven't done a full engine build on these cars yet (now if it were a big block Chevy or Pontiac engine from the mid 70's...), but I figure if I can tear into a T700 series engine and get it running again, a 951 engine is cake!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:29 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

John,

I don't have a torque angle meter, but it's on my list of tools to get. Still need to get some nice cheesehead sockets too. But I've already sourced the proper sealants (Loctite 574 for the girdle, Yamabond 4 for the balance shaft covers and oil pan gasket) and have a good set of Craftsman hand and air tools. I'd really like to get the bottom end buttoned up this weekend because it's the last weekend I'll have to work on her until after Christmas.

I'm unfamiliar with what an FSM is. Help?
Old 12-03-2009, 11:19 AM
clangjr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd be interested in joining in the fun.....I would NOT be your expert, but I would love to lear as we go too!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ramius665
John,

I don't have a torque angle meter, but it's on my list of tools to get. Still need to get some nice cheesehead sockets too. But I've already sourced the proper sealants (Loctite 574 for the girdle, Yamabond 4 for the balance shaft covers and oil pan gasket) and have a good set of Craftsman hand and air tools. I'd really like to get the bottom end buttoned up this weekend because it's the last weekend I'll have to work on her until after Christmas.

I'm unfamiliar with what an FSM is. Help?
Cheezeheads I have, I don't have a tq angle meter either... but have been looking at a nice digital one... just have a hard time swollowing the price for a tool I may only end up using once...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=390108393999

maybe...

anyway, just let me know when you want to do it, and I'll clear my schedule... I need to be out and about on saturday anyway looking for baloons...

Oh and FSM = Factory Service Manual.. I have a N/A set and a Turbo Set, I will bring my Turbo set with me...
Old 12-03-2009, 05:12 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

I just picked up a torque angle meter (OTC 4554) from usatoolwarehouse.com for $20, inc shipping. Hopefully it won't be a POS. I picked up some cheaper cheeseheads from Summit, but I'm not happy with the quality and I'm pretty sure they contributed to stripping out the cam gear bolt.

As far as the FSM (now I know what that means, thanks!) I've got them on soft copy, but the image quality isn't great. I'm a little surprised that there are some jobs that aren't even referenced.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:46 AM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

This seams to be a interesting project people and the "torque angle meter" thing get me going I have better success without that method. Shoot me your addy so I can google the distance from my place. There are a few people within arms reach of me that may come with.

The big question is what's the misses cooking ????
Old 12-04-2009, 04:42 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im probably the closest person to you
Old 12-04-2009, 01:25 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I bet I am the closest to him right now....

Aaron, you have E-mail.. See you tomorrow..
Old 12-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

To do the bottom end, you may also need an oil stone to smooth the front face for the oil pump. Some people freeze the girdle or try to tap it in place with a hammer, but neither worked for me. On the other hand, the oil stone worked surprisingly well and quickly to get a smooth face. I picked mine up at Orchard Supply Hardware -- it's a fine grain knife sharpening stone.
Old 12-04-2009, 10:26 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Be sure the surfaces on the block, oil pump, crank girdle and balance shaft housings are surgically clean or they will leak oil. Use some laquer thinner or acetone and be sure you get the threaded holes clean too.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:14 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

You guys are all awesome. This is why I love being part of the Porsche community.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:19 PM
eyeball kid
Racer

Got a schedule yet?

Dan

Quick Reply: Looking for some "951 friends"