Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 Turbo Cup rebuild begins - PAINTED

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 02:23 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome. Gotta be exciting for you right now. Now you can fly into corners with confidence. Very stout cage. My car still has a ****load left after the cage is finished. (About 2 hours of welding left, that is waiting on me to finish my Pedal cluster first for easier ingress / egress.) But interior painting is soon to follow. It seems light gray or white are the colors of choice. - clearly to help with the summer days. - Im going with the gray also. Either fit my expected paint scheme. - avatar - Are you going to Paint the roll cage a different color? I've been thinking about this. But I just may paint it all gray.

And I still have yet to buy the IQ3 dash. I've installed a few and I freakin LOVE that thing. I have to budget my money for "What I need right now" sort of thing though. Have you gotten to use it yet? And are you interfacing with any aftermarket ECU's? I have MOTEC-M48, and unfortunately, it WONT speak to it willingly. So, I have to wire in the little details. But no biggie, most things I can't look at during a run anyway, and I datalog the really cool stuff. But the GPS, (No need to wire into speed sensor) and Track mapping are awesome features, I don't think I can live without.

Last edited by 95ONE; 12-15-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:17 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Awesome. Gotta be exciting for you right now. Now you can fly into corner with confidence. Very stout cage! My car still has a ****load left after the cage is finished. (About 2 hours of welding left, that is waiting on me to finish my Pedal cluster first for easier ingress / egress.) But interior painting is soon to follow. It seems light gray or white are the colors of choice. - clearly to help with the summer days. - Im going with the gray also. Either fit my expected paint scheme. - avatar - Are you going to Paint the roll cage a different color? I've been thinking about this. But I just may paint it all gray.

And I still have yet to buy the IQ3 dash. I've installed a few and I freakin LOVE that thing. I have to budget my money for "What I need right now" sort of thing though. Have you gotten to use it yet? And are you interfacing with any aftermarket ECU's? I have MOTEC-M48, and unfortunately, it WONT speak to it willingly. So, I have to wire in the little details. But no biggie, most things I can't look at during a run anyway, and I datalog the really cool stuff. But the GPS, (No need to wire into speed sensor) and Track mapping are awesome features, I don't think I can live without.

When I get the car back first thing is sunroof delete skin to go on then I will repaint the interior. Still undecided whether to paint the cage silve or the same blue as in my sig to match the front half of the car

I installed the IQ for the last race of last year and liked it. Had some initial trouble with the tach but eventually got that working. Over winter I am going to expand it to include temp & pressure sensors, EGT and as well as brake and throttle position sensor for data acquasition.

As I run stock class I will not be linking to after market ECU. The work never stops!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:23 PM
DanR
Drifting

so I can finally post some pictures that people may be interested in. Cage is now completed and I am VERY pleased with the results. The work was done by the name of Bill Doyle and his company is cagethis.com. Through out the process Bill was great and accomadated everyone of my requests (sadly I just checked and sent him 33 emails in 3 weeks!!!) and changed a couple of things even though he had already done the work I asked. He update me with pictures throughout the build and I think I have a great cage. (I am happy anyway) A couple of gussets still to fit on the main hoop but I could not wait to spray it. Some will also see that after much peer pressure I went with a white interior rather than silver (man was I happy to have to sand that down AGAIN)

also his welds are a thing of beauty (most of cage was tig welded)
Attached Images        
Old 12-15-2009, 10:56 PM
fluellen
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, this all looks really great! Congratulations!

Can you share what equipment and paint you are using for the interior paint job? I am getting ready to do the same thing after the Holidays, and would appreciate any pointers as to which type of spray gun / compressor / paint / etc. I need to get results like yours!

Thanks much!

Gary
Old 12-15-2009, 11:05 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by fluellen
Wow, this all looks really great! Congratulations!

Can you share what equipment and paint you are using for the interior paint job? I am getting ready to do the same thing after the Holidays, and would appreciate any pointers as to which type of spray gun / compressor / paint / etc. I need to get results like yours!

Thanks much!

Gary
To be honest I could have done it better had I taken more time but its a race car so looks good from 3 feet. I used a craftsman 2hp 26 gallon compressor which puts out 7.5CFM as 40 psi and Used a cheapish craftsman gun as well. Cost $250 for the lot used only once from craigslist just for this job. Got my paint from the restoration shop but bought the wrong type as I got base and clear coat seperate and I should have got a single stage urethane.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/restoration...surethane.aspx

to be honest, for an interior you can get almost as good results with spray cans and I actually use cans to touch up the lacquer as it was easier to get to the hard to reach places
Old 12-15-2009, 11:15 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by DanR
. Some will also see that after much peer pressure I went with a white interior rather than silver
Tell me more.. I just don't want to paint white due to the incredible amount of marks and grease spots must show up in a matter of weekends. Light grey has just got to be a better alternative.. But my ears are open. How did they sway you?
Old 12-15-2009, 11:43 PM
fluellen
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dan, thanks! Hm, my compressor does 6cfm@40psi and is only 8 gal... wonder if that would work... maybe I'd just have to stop and wait for the compressor to refill more often...

Did you spray primer on the interior first, or just spray on the paint?

What are you going to do with the outside? Single-stage urethane as well, or base and clear?

Thanks,
Gary

To be honest I could have done it better had I taken more time but its a race car so looks good from 3 feet. I used a craftsman 2hp 26 gallon compressor which puts out 7.5CFM as 40 psi and Used a cheapish craftsman gun as well. Cost $250 for the lot used only once from craigslist just for this job. Got my paint from the restoration shop but bought the wrong type as I got base and clear coat seperate and I should have got a single stage urethane.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/restoration...surethane.aspx

to be honest, for an interior you can get almost as good results with spray cans and I actually use cans to touch up the lacquer as it was easier to get to the hard to reach places
Old 12-16-2009, 10:16 AM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Tell me more.. I just don't want to paint white due to the incredible amount of marks and grease spots must show up in a matter of weekends. Light grey has just got to be a better alternative.. But my ears are open. How did they sway you?
it was driven by asthetic reasons. The car is going to be white and blue and I am doing a cup car replica so everyone suggested I go white. I layered the clearcoat on heavy so hopefully it will stand up to marks!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:37 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Worked tirelessly over the last 2 days but dont seem to have done much. At least I booked the car in for its new cage in December. Early zmas present to myself

I am going to fill in the old light holes with mesh to protect the oil coolers
Dan,

could you pm me, or post your method for closing up those front side marker slots?
A lot of U.S. guys would like to do that, and I don't know the first thing about accomplishing the task properly.
TIA

The car looks great so far!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Congrats Dan! It looks really sturdy. I'm jealous!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:56 AM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by ehall
Dan,

could you pm me, or post your method for closing up those front side marker slots?
A lot of U.S. guys would like to do that, and I don't know the first thing about accomplishing the task properly.
TIA

The car looks great so far!
Not sure if my method is the best approach but it worked for me. I basically bought from autozone some thin mesh panels which I applied to the rear of the bumber, I then applied fiberglass sheet to the front to fill in the old hole just below the level of the bumper (I used plenty of resin to get a hard base) then filled in with short strand filler and finally used regular filler in a thin coat to get a flat finish.

posts 16 & 24 give you an idea

PM me your email if you want more pictures
Old 01-10-2010, 10:20 AM
DanR
Drifting

well after having gone back home to the UK and missed valuable car work time (although my wife did not ee it this way ) I thought I had better crack on. Yesterday I finished prep and masked off and laid down a few coats of primer. This is the most satisfying part when you change from a mess to a blank canvas. Going to lay base and clear todat so more to follow
Attached Images      
Old 01-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome!
Old 01-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

You're a wild man, Dan! Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing the end result.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:01 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

DAM DUDE good stuff. i would never do that

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo Cup rebuild begins - PAINTED