Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Theoretical: AOS delete on non-dry sump

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Tms951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand this thread has been dead for two years, but did anything ever happen with this? Or is there a similar product out there by some one else at this point in time?

Thanks,
-TMS
Old 04-26-2012, 12:12 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

http://www.customengineeredperformance.com/aboutus.html
Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Tms951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you
Old 04-26-2012, 12:24 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is an oldie. Man, I was a jerk in my earlier posts. Sorry about that. Anyways, the problem is that the down pipe comes extremely close to the lower plug. It must be super tight to the block or there is no way to fit a -12 in there for the oil fill (and you want at least a -12 or you'll be filling the oil for days). The following picture is one of Dave's (CEP) first setups so there has been some revisions since, however, this works absolutely perfectly. Just so you have a clear idea of what to expect, there aren't any pictures on the website....

Last edited by DDP; 04-27-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:18 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by DDP
This is an oldie. Man, I was a jerk in my earlier posts. Sorry about that. Anyways, the problem is that the down pipe comes extremely close to the lower plug. It must be super tight to the block or there is no way to fit a -12 in there for the oil fill (and you want at least a -12 or you'll be filling the oil for days). The following picture is one of Dave's (CEP) first setups so there has been some revisions since, however, this works absolutely perfectly. Just so you have a clear idea of what to expect, there aren't any pictures on the website....
Howabout just sticking a solid plug in the bottom hole, and plumbing it to fill through the turbo drain?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

You can do it anyway you want I guess. You need something to fill through, and remember that the manifold covers all of this. That means that if you fill from the turbo drain, you need to find a way to snake the line back and to the side of the manifold. There are a thousand ways to do it. In that setup pictured, the top port of the AOS goes to a 90 -6 catch can recirculation to vent the crank case. It's very close to how the stock setup is, just far more tidy and no plastic.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:23 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone still make a kit or at least the plugs for this?
Old 07-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

CEP makes a kit, http://www.9products.com/944968/products also has just the fittings for €110.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott H
CEP makes a kit, http://www.9products.com/944968/products also has just the fittings for €110.
If those fittings in the link do fit with a 90 degree fitting without hitting the downpipe, they have to be REALLY close. You must be very careful in your routing of lines. If you route anything a bit off of perfect, you'll either pull oil from the turbo oil drain to the intake or you won't allow proper drain for the turbo. You absolutely must have that small vent in place for the turbo oil drain or it will not drain properly. This is because the position of the return on the oil pan (the bottom, below the oil line). Also, if you just have -8 AN lines you'll want to run the vent to the bottom AOS plug, and then have the top port strickly for venting the crankcase. If you run the turbo oil vent and crankcase vent from the top port....you'll pull oil out and put it in your intake. The vacuum from your intake is so strong it will pull it through. After going through all of this to figure out the best situation of line routing and oil fill, etc. I've decided the best way....is the way Porsche did it. Sure you can delete the AOS and save space, but how do you plan on filling the oil? On a mostly stock car I would just run the AOS. There's no reason to delete it.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:01 AM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DDP
If those fittings in the link do fit with a 90 degree fitting without hitting the downpipe, they have to be REALLY close. You must be very careful in your routing of lines. If you route anything a bit off of perfect, you'll either pull oil from the turbo oil drain to the intake or you won't allow proper drain for the turbo. You absolutely must have that small vent in place for the turbo oil drain or it will not drain properly. This is because the position of the return on the oil pan (the bottom, below the oil line). Also, if you just have -8 AN lines you'll want to run the vent to the bottom AOS plug, and then have the top port strickly for venting the crankcase. If you run the turbo oil vent and crankcase vent from the top port....you'll pull oil out and put it in your intake. The vacuum from your intake is so strong it will pull it through. After going through all of this to figure out the best situation of line routing and oil fill, etc. I've decided the best way....is the way Porsche did it. Sure you can delete the AOS and save space, but how do you plan on filling the oil? On a mostly stock car I would just run the AOS. There's no reason to delete it.
Good info. I have been trying to contact Dave (CEP) for months regarding this kit and have received no response. The intent was to free up some space for my downpipe fabrication. I guess I will pass... Thanks.

Quick Reply: Theoretical: AOS delete on non-dry sump