Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Ok, either someone help me find a taller r&p or I may just give up and part it out! (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/528058-ok-either-someone-help-me-find-a-taller-r-and-p-or-i-may-just-give-up-and-part-it-out.html)

TurboTommy 10-07-2009 12:37 AM

I'm a bit of a gearing fanatic myself, and I wouldn't know where one could improve on the 951 gearing (except playing with rear tire size) to get more enjoyment out of the car.
I've got similar to Joe's engine; possibly a little more happy to rev (easily reaches just north of 7,000 RPM) and combine that with slightly taller than stock tires (almost 26"), 1st gear reaches 45 mph and 5th gear reaches over 190mph. Cruising in 5th at 3,000 RPM yields about 80mph which is not even close to being in the main power band. I consider that decently tall enough, and yet can achieve great acceleration with just squeezing the throttle. Going too tall can make an otherwise powerfull car feel sluggish. On turbo cars 1st gear needs to be a little shortish because of the inherent lag of a turbo from a standstill. Although, reaching 45 mph is still right up there with most cars' first gear.
This is all good, and like I said, I'm pretty anal myself.

Joe, you must have a different idea of what you like.
You haven't been driving your car for a couple of years? That's a sin, man.

George D 10-07-2009 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951 (Post 6961470)
Just got news back from Kevin Gross. Can't find a taller ring and pinion for my five speed or the six speed I bought. Carquip isn't calling me back on it anymore either after Eric Johnson said he found one and is no longer there. If I can't find a one, I may just give up and sell the car or something. Can someone help me out here? Initially, Albins in Australia was making a 3.1 for the six speed but they broke four during tooling. Plus it was expensive. One for the five speed would be much better.

I need taller. First gear is useless in my car. I'm looking for a 2.9 for the five speed or 3.1 for the 968 six speed I bought. Or anything close or taller. Just way taller than stock. Would rather have the five speed than the six speed for the weight savings. Audi parts are interchangeable but need a custom audi gear manufacturer I guess. Hopefully someone has an Audi connect. Or, any other trans that will bolt up without much problem. This sucks. I'm open for suggestions, but it has to be reasonable and feasable.. I have way too much power for stock gearing and I'm looking to upgrade even more. I'm even going to get a taller final gear for cruising, top speed, and mpg. Somone's gotta know someone! Help me out fellas! Three years without my car!

Send me a PM. We'll talk on the phone.

G

Thom 10-07-2009 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by eniac (Post 6962678)
I'm hoping to find a solution to this as well. I would love a six speed that has the first 5 gears of a 951 5 speed then an extra, taller 6th gear...

This solution exists and requires using gears from the Audi common parts bin - I posted this in my engine build thread several weeks ago.
Search through older posts further and you will find all details.

DFASTEST951 10-08-2009 10:09 PM

Thom, if you could send me your website sources from over the pond, I would greatly appreciate it.

alxdgr8 10-08-2009 11:15 PM

Try giving Stasis a call...they do custom gear sets for the Audi O1E transmission so they might have something to offer.

evil 944t 10-08-2009 11:42 PM

part it..

Bob Ward 10-09-2009 12:19 AM

damn,

I just PM'd you.

Did you try to call CMS??
roger brwon
928-855-5755

Bob Ward 10-09-2009 12:26 AM

californiamotorsports.net

They seem to have some custom stuff for our transmissions?

DFASTEST951 10-16-2009 04:09 PM

Ok, I'm back. Had a little set back with my F350. Fuel pump went and now the injectors are really shot. They were bad before. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll be checking into all of these.

Thom, I'd still like to get the website information or contacts for your gearing sources over the pond.

George, I'll call you back as soon as I get a second. Thanks for the call.

Bob, thanks for the tip on Roger. He used to work for PowerhausII. I always wondered where he went.

JohnKoaWood 10-16-2009 08:05 PM

http://www.injector.com/fuelinjectors.php

injectors based on requirement!

ibkevin 10-17-2009 12:16 PM

Turbo (Thomas) has great points.

It sounds like a little Vegas street contests have gotten under his skin....

You bought a car that is at the top of it's food chain, and then some, be content.