Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ITB Intake Manifold interest

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 04:59 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW Chris...

Re: the picture of the rod with the ITB's...

Those "couplings" connecting each pair of butterflys on each twin barrel throttle body are a big problem as well. Those are the same ones that TWM uses. I hate those things. They have play which, unless you're using a return spring per butterfly, will not be perfectly synched (and I can see that this is not the case on this engine).

TonyG
Old 09-17-2009, 05:16 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Not sure but this thread is quickly becoming a train wreck.
No it won't, because that will stop. This thread, started by LR, will get back on course for the benefit of the community as a whole, and this won't become a vendor confrontation as well.

Back on track, now...
Old 09-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

67, you stated...

The intake looks good. If you want some feedback, I'd make sure you have sufficient room above the bellmouth for runner #4. You need to have a volume above the entry that will fit a sphere with a radius 1.5 times the radius of the runner. The "picture" is a scoop of ice cream in a cone (where part is down in the runner). You may, it is hard to tell from the picture. If you can make the plenum surfaces less flat, that would help with noise and durability (fatigue), as well.

I'm interested in the radius test you mention. Do you mean at the very outside of the radiused inlet on
the plenum plate, or the 50mm opening after the radius? Those two are quite different.
This goes 45mm blade, tapered up to 50mm, then our radius in the plenum plate which could
be 70mm at the outer edge.
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll leave it to everyone else to ask technical questions. My question is how does it sound?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by schip43
I'll leave it to everyone else to ask technical questions. My question is how does it sound?
It will make a little more of a metallic 'clank' when the throttle plates snap closed....Oh, you mean how does it sound when running...

Not much different as the intake sounds are nicely muffled by the turbo and intercooler.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

One last small thread detour…

Originally Posted by TonyG
BTW Chris...
Re: the picture of the rod with the ITB's...
Those "couplings" connecting each pair of butterflys on each twin barrel throttle body are a big problem as well. Those are the same ones that TWM uses. I hate those things. They have play which, unless you're using a return spring per butterfly, will not be perfectly synched (and I can see that this is not the case on this engine).
TonyG
Replaced the ‘sloppy’ rod ends with some very nice ones – problem solved. Its not my favorite solution – but the project in question was a ‘hot rod’ owned by a prototype machinist – he really likes the look. We did a lot of interesting thing – reversed the throttle plate rotation in half the throttles for a ‘balance’ linkage.
My misunderstanding earlier – I thought you were saying that the tec3 would not run the ITB in MAP mode but the others would. Yes, MAF mode is easier to tune…but I still believe that MAP is more accurate – and it can be made to work well if you are a Tec junkie!
Old 09-17-2009, 07:52 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
One last small thread detour…

Replaced the ‘sloppy’ rod ends with some very nice ones – problem solved. Its not my favorite solution – but the project in question was a ‘hot rod’ owned by a prototype machinist – he really likes the look. We did a lot of interesting thing – reversed the throttle plate rotation in half the throttles for a ‘balance’ linkage.
My misunderstanding earlier – I thought you were saying that the tec3 would not run the ITB in MAP mode but the others would. Yes, MAF mode is easier to tune…but I still believe that MAP is more accurate – and it can be made to work well if you are a Tec junkie!
I'm talking about the coupler that sits in between each pair of butterflys . Those are a big problem.

And MAP on a common plenum is far easier than MAP on an ITB setup.

TonyG
Old 09-17-2009, 09:13 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
This thread was created by a RL site Sponsor to gauage interest on their product/s, so out of fairness to them, I don't think in this thread it's professionally appropriate to make a 'plug' about another vendor and their competing products. That said, out of respect to Lindsey, let's stay focused on them please.

Thanks, and back to the program...

Originally Posted by TurboTim
I am a site sponser and would like to say that your intake looks real nice! Too bad your brother couldn't get over his issues with us, because we could have been working with each other all these years instead of against each other

Originally Posted by Ivan Arzola
why is it not worth it?

Originally Posted by Chris White
Can I get an Amen from the choir!!!!

BTW – John (Dunkel) – we need a ‘hijack’ icon….sorry Mike & Dave….

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
Would that be an airplane crashing into a tower?
Nope...

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Not sure but this thread is quickly becoming a train wreck.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those smilys are so fititing and so funny!
Old 09-17-2009, 10:55 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

I personally love the idea of a vendor doing something "outside the box", While I doubt I will ever buy the ITBs, I am sure there are some who will... just as there have been those who have already used them.

That having been said, and the point of the smileys, was to make my statement that I would LOVE to see this thread get back on track... To the OP... Good stuff, now lets see it finished up and dyno'd...

To our other wonderful vendors, "can't we all get along"

To the MODs... Thank you for keeping us safe...

And most of all to the people reading this, thank you, for it is you who will buy this kit, and make another vendor stick in this game for a while longer, so we can all enjoy a wide range of pieces to buy for our street or track car...any time someone is doing something as a kit to compete with another kit they are already doing, they take a risk, but if noone buys everyone looses..
Old 09-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya!

I agree with TonyG, running an ITB setup while still retainging the MAP will leave the door open for alot of tuning issues. It would make sense to keep a log style intake. But that's just the .02cents from an N/A guy with turbo experience on everything but a 944...
Old 09-18-2009, 04:59 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Or you tune fuel vs TPS with MAP compensation, which is pretty common on ITB setups.
With a little MAP-manifold I'm sure it will work fine with Motronic DME. Perhaps some adjustments needed on the TPS enrichment map.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a site sponser and would like to say that your intake looks real nice! Too bad your brother couldn't get over his issues with us, because we could have been working with each other all these years instead of against each other

Tim, we have never had an interest in working with you or your company. Thanks for the comments
though.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey

Tim, we have never had an interest in working with you or your company. Thanks for the comments
though.
Class. First a tasteless comment about a plane hitting a tower and this. Very nice.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmm...Seems like some peeps have had issues with Dave Lindsey, myself included.

Quick Reply: ITB Intake Manifold interest