944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ITB Intake Manifold interest

Old 09-17-2009, 02:45 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RE: The JME intake. The barrel valve setup is for sure the way to go. But the thing to note is the Millage uses a loaded Motec to drive the system.

The comparing the capabilities of of the Motec to say a TEC3 is like comparing apples to oranges. BIG difference.

Also to note is that these intakes are on race engine, not street engines. Another big difference.

I've done ITB's on 944's and on 911's. If you're going to do it, use a MAF before the plenum. It's either that or a high end engine management system with a LOT of time trying to get it right under all the various atmospheric and engine load conditions.

Lastly... the little individual port to a common plenum thing to get a MAP signal trick... Also been there done that. It sucks. Everything behind the throttle plates that use vacuum will affect the the volumn in the little common plenum. Things like using your a/c controls, the vauum brakes, etc... will all affect the volumn in the plenum, which will affect the MAP signal which will screw things up. That's why that little trick really doesn't work well at on a street car.

TonyG
Old 09-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
You'll notice how I deleted my entire comment.

Been there done that. I have that exact intake (my version several years ago, now sitting on a shelf at SFR).

Good luck,

TonyG
HA! Nothing is ever truly deleted on the internet!
Old 09-17-2009, 03:02 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Chris White
HA! Nothing is ever truly deleted on the internet!

I wrote it, then decided that I didn't want to get sucked into it.

But now here I am.

Anyway, it's just not worth it on a street car.

TonyG
Old 09-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Ivan Arzola
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RE: The JME intake. The barrel valve setup is for sure the way to go. But the thing to note is the Millage uses a loaded Motec to drive the system.

The comparing the capabilities of of the Motec to say a TEC3 is like comparing apples to oranges. BIG difference.

Also to note is that these intakes are on race engine, not street engines. Another big difference.

I've done ITB's on 944's and on 911's. If you're going to do it, use a MAF before the plenum. It's either that or a high end engine management system with a LOT of time trying to get it right under all the various atmospheric and engine load conditions.

Lastly... the little individual port to a common plenum thing to get a MAP signal trick... Also been there done that. It sucks. Everything behind the throttle plates that use vacuum will affect the the volumn in the little common plenum. Things like using your a/c controls, the vauum brakes, etc... will all affect the volumn in the plenum, which will affect the MAP signal which will screw things up. That's why that little trick really doesn't work well at on a street car.

Could you explain why the Tec3 can not do the Job. Plenty of cars that are running the way you say it sucks. and running very well. It all comes down on who is tuning and how thorough they are.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:15 PM
Ivan Arzola
Track Day

why is it not worth it?
Old 09-17-2009, 03:28 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Ivan Arzola
Could you explain why the Tec3 can not do the Job. Plenty of cars that are running the way you say it sucks. and running very well. It all comes down on who is tuning and how thorough they are.
Are you running an ITB setup on a street car? (with or without a TEC3)

The TEC3 simply doesn't have enough control to do the job on a street car (with respect to a MAP/ITB setup).

TonyG
Old 09-17-2009, 03:32 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

why is it not worth it?
Are you running ITB's on your 944 or have you ever run ITB's on a turbo car?

The deal is that you gain with ITB's is throttle response. It's that little bit of extra power that gets the turbo spooling sooner/faster/harder. That's the reason why you'd use it on a turbo car.

You're not going to make any more power up top from an ITB setup than you would from a properly flowing common plenum setup.

So in a race setup, where 1/10ths add up to an advantage, it's great. But on the street, the cost/benefit/hassle ratio just doesn't add up.

Like I said... I have the exact same setup sitting on the shelf.

TonyG
Old 09-17-2009, 03:46 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
Looks like there will be some choices. BTW, are you a site sponsor? If not, would you please
remove your advertising?

I am a site sponser and would like to say that your intake looks real nice! Too bad your brother couldn't get over his issues with us, because we could have been working with each other all these years instead of against each other
Old 09-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by TonyG
Are you running an ITB setup on a street car? (with or without a TEC3)

The TEC3 simply doesn't have enough control to do the job on a street car (with respect to a MAP/ITB setup).

TonyG
Tony is right...you can't comapre the Tec to the Motec...the Motec costs twice as much!

I have no problem with Motec other than cost...but to say that the Tec can't control a street engine as well is not correct - you do have to know how to program the Tec as well as want the enigne needs.

In fact I belive that the Tec has more tunabilty for street driven engines, the Motec stuff is much more targeted at track engines (I will admit I haven't looked closely at the Motec systems in a year or two)

The Tec3 works fine on this project....
Attached Images    
Old 09-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Can I get an Amen from the choir!!!!

BTW – John (Dunkel) – we need a ‘hijack’ icon….sorry Mike & Dave….
Old 09-17-2009, 04:00 PM
Mike Lindsey
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Would that be an airplane crashing into a tower?
Other 1-405-947-0137
Old 09-17-2009, 04:28 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

I will be buying one of somebodys. Just my opinion, but if there WAS a Lindsey/SFR collaberation I would be more interested in the Lindsey unit. Tim's fab is second to none. The IMA one is pure sex in carbonfiber, but at $6800.00 its like wanting to call strippers over every night. I'd love it but I cant afford it..........
Old 09-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Lindsey
Would that be an airplane crashing into a tower?
Not sure but this thread is quickly becoming a train wreck.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:50 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Guys...

I never said the TEC3 sucks or that you can't tune to work fine.

What I said was that on a street driven car, with ITB's using a MAP, that it doesn't have the necessary control to do the job. Sure you can do it. Sure it will run "ok", but it will always have drivability issues that will change as the atmospheric conditions change, etc...

That's just the opinion of several of us that have done ITB using MAP with the TEC3 (as well as AEM and Motec).

BUT... what you can do is to use a MAF. The last time I played with a TEC was the TEC3r. It didn't support MAF. I'm not sure if their engine management systems now support MAF or not. The MAF will dramatically make it easier to tune the car and will for sure make it a better setup for the street.

PS> This is why I deleted my original message.

TonyG
Old 09-17-2009, 04:52 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by hot-J
I will be buying one of somebodys. Just my opinion, but if there WAS a Lindsey/SFR collaberation I would be more interested in the Lindsey unit. Tim's fab is second to none. The IMA one is pure sex in carbonfiber, but at $6800.00 its like wanting to call strippers over every night. I'd love it but I cant afford it..........
$6800 PLUS the engine management PLUS the tuning.

Hey... it's only money!

TonyG

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ITB Intake Manifold interest