Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
Hey Rogue!

Can you elaborate a litte on this?

Are you referring to those that do not have a chip matched to the injectors or to the MAF?

In my case, my chip is mapped for my injectors, just not specificlly to my MAF. Then I just used PB to adjust fuel.
I'm referring more to 'chip not matched to the injectors'...
I'll give a more detalied response when I get home tonight.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:14 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Interesting info how it was done to a BMW:

For tune up, quite familiar looking stuff, isn't Maxxtune using more or less same equipment.
More or less, I prefer the interface and operation of MaxTune to TunerPro, but it is a personal thing, and for me to spend $250 to save a little time I am OK with..

Tuner Pro has to use the Ostrich 2.0 ROM tracing to get it to function correctly... MaxTune only needs the base 4K BIN to build an entire DME chip immage from, and it is one button...

I have been running the MaxTune SW for a few months, and am really likeing it, and Russell has been great..

If $250 is out of bounds, YES tunerpro will work, but the DME code will still need more work to coorelate the load demand to the MAF as opposed the AFM (AFM is measuring volume, MAF is measuring MASS.. you will also need intake temp, unless your MAF has it built in, AND voltage correction as the MAF reads differently on the output than the AFM does...)

I am running a Scivision MAF (well, right now my AFM is in awaiting a replacement harness) and using MaxTune for my maps, the MAF comes with a fixed value translator to go from the MAF to a AFM syle signal for the DME... MaxTune allows modification of the fuel and timing maps, and I have also been toying with my temp correction and FQS values..but that is me...

Rouge has been decompiling the DME code, to modify the way the code works... this is whole different level of effort that I enjoyed once upon a time, but no longer enjoy doing, now I want plug in, hit a few buttons, up an running... DIY MAF is deffinitely NOT plug in and go...

Rogue, Go for it, open source is fun, untill someone asks "what did I do wrong, my motor blew up"... open source for an I-Phone is cool, no real harm done...open source on a car can be dangerous, or costly...

To those who have only one car, be careful of what you do to it...please,

or at least let me have dibs on the pieces left over if it goes wrong...
Old 09-22-2009, 04:54 PM
joeytoad83
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the MAF comes with a fixed value translator to go from the MAF to a AFM syle signal for the DME..

could you explain that a little more, left me a bit confused
Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by toddk911
Hey Rogue!

Can you elaborate a litte on this?

Are you referring to those that do not have a chip matched to the injectors or to the MAF?

In my case, my chip is mapped for my injectors, just not specificlly to my MAF. Then I just used PB to adjust fuel.
Ok, in the Part-Throttle maps one of the axis is a 'load' value. This is a value that is basically representative of airflow per rpm. The DME uses the airflow value for this axis.

Now lets say the you are using a piggy-back to compensate for larger injectors. In order to get the correct AFR, the piggy-back lowers the airflow voltage signal to the DME. The DME uses this new signal for its load calculation.
Lets say by using a PB to adjust for larger injectors, it changes the load calculation ~10%. This can have a significant change on ignition timing advance. For example, look at the difference in timing advance between the ~34% load and the ~24% load. As much as 7degrees! And that is only scaling the load value ~10%, imagine if you are scaling for very large injectors...
Attached Images   
Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by joeytoad83
the MAF comes with a fixed value translator to go from the MAF to a AFM syle signal for the DME..

could you explain that a little more, left me a bit confused
Basically, the Scivision MAF comes with a piggyback that is not user adjustable. So it automatically converts the MAF signal into an "AFM-style" signal that the DME understands.

-Rogue
Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 PM
joeytoad83
Rennlist Member

thanks, i guess i was haveing a brain fart at the time.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:47 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

NP
Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Rogue, Go for it, open source is fun, untill someone asks "what did I do wrong, my motor blew up"... open source for an I-Phone is cool, no real harm done...open source on a car can be dangerous, or costly...
IMO, DIY tuning simply places more responsibility on the car owner. But it offers a chance of increasing your knowledge of how the DME and FI works!

-Rogue
Old 09-22-2009, 10:05 PM
joeytoad83
Rennlist Member

im all for it, the more you know the better off you are.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:18 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Only difference between my setup and this pic is I also have an SFR J pipe, and K&N cone filter mounted behind my driver side head light...

The harness shown is the non-adjustable piggyback, it is also the component that failed on mine, I have my AFM installed and am waiting for my replacement harness to arrive, it shipped from Germany yesterday, so it should arrive next week some time...

It is nice in that it is doing what I want it to do for now, but if I ever get around to my winter projects... I will be going a different route all together...
Old 09-22-2009, 10:26 PM
joeytoad83
Rennlist Member

i wonder what actually in that little box, and what its telling the dme.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:37 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
IMO, DIY tuning simply places more responsibility on the car owner. But it offers a chance of increasing your knowledge of how the DME and FI works!

-Rogue
Believe me, I'm all for it... BUT it needs to be understood by anyone deciding to take this plunge is it isn't an overnight voyage, AND it can have rapid and negative impact... it takes one bad ignition cycle to bend a rod in half...

That having been said...

I for one LOVE the idea of opening up the DIY tuning on these cars to the average bear... Do it, but be prepared for SOMEONE to come banging on your door asking for help...
Old 09-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

I have no reservations about helping people out. This wouldn't be my first journey down that road...

-Rogue
Old 09-22-2009, 11:11 PM
joeytoad83
Rennlist Member

from what ive seen both of you are more than willing to help others out. and im already knocking as im getting more in depthe with this car than i have in the past. ive usedh safc's but thats as far as ive gone.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:17 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

have my AFM installed and am waiting for my replacement harness to arrive, it shipped from Germany yesterday, so it should arrive next week some time...
I suppose there has been some kind of issues with these harness' lately. I delivered friends harness last July to Switzerland to D9 (visited Beni when we were on holiday trip) from where harness was sent to Tom in Germany. Friends harness received this week...

Quick Reply: Build your own Maf kit