Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch replacement pictorial

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 03:06 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Try and get a puller if possible, it will make life alot easier. I am a firm believer in the right tool for the job, but i was in a bind and unfortunatley the slidehammer i had did not fit.

Anyhow, any bolt long enough to get the vice grips far enough away from the engine to give you room to give it a solid shot with a hammer will be enough. I used an old long turbo mounting bolt which i happened to have in my tool box. Use a flat washer on the bolt small enough to fit through the ID of the bearing race and a vice grips on the threaded end of the bolt. Hammer the vicegrips a few times and it will pull the bearing out.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
The last nightmare was getting the RMS out. I did not have a seal puller on hand, so an hour of carefully using a flat tip screwdriver and a pick i was able to finally get the seal out.
Jon,

Just wondering (since I'm about to remove the RMS -- replaced the pilot bearing today) what was so tricky about this? It _looks_ like it should be easy, given the "screwdriver cutout" in the housing to get access to dig into the seal with. But obviously not... what's the story?
Old 03-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

That seal is really in there good.. a flat tip screwdriver is really not up to the task, nor was a pretty heavy duty right angle pick i used. A seal puller is a must for this part so you also avoid damaging the crank or sealing surface.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:45 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great work Jon!

Since you now have a lightened flywheel, you may want to change your timing belt a little more often.

Lightweight flywheels on 4-cyl cars put more stress on the timing drive due to the torque impulses. This ain't just a theory, I've worked on racecars where reinstating a stock weight flywheel was the best way to get the timing belt or chain to survive. Quite often, the failure happened when idling.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:41 PM
zoxx2004
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo clutch in n/a. need advice.

Has anyone done this? If so any complication? Please help. Ran search unsure of results
Old 03-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

You will need the turbo specific bell housing, clutch fork, release bearing, clutch, pressure plate flywheel... i think you may need the turbo starter ring gear also.

Quick Reply: Clutch replacement pictorial