Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Interesting find

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 03:29 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is a 1988 but also a sunroof. I didn't think the Turbo S could be ordered with one
In America everything is possible. In europe the original Silber Rosas did not have a sunroof. Later in 1988 when also other colours were available it was possible to get a sunroof in european countries as well.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
In America everything is possible. In europe the original Silber Rosas did not have a sunroof. Later in 1988 when also other colours were available it was possible to get a sunroof in european countries as well.
In America you could not buy a non sunroof 951. You could order a euro delivery nonsunroof and bring it back (got one) but you could not get one at a US dealer lot.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:05 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by sweanders
Must be a US thing, I haven't seen one in over here that has it. Porsche were concerned with it staying on the car when going fast. I've had issues with 944 sunroof when going fast, they don't stay shut very well..
you need a manual latch set...

130+ here on manual latches and no issues whatsoever
Old 06-07-2009, 08:45 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
you need a manual latch set...

130+ here on manual latches and no issues whatsoever
It was a non issue at those speeds. It wasn't until high speeds that it became an issue.

It was corrected though with new gears and proper adjustment, just a pain to deal with such a sensitive design.

Maybe I should count myself lucky to have owned both a 944 and a 951 without sunroof..
Old 06-07-2009, 09:38 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

The sunroof is handy down here to let heat out but they can get a bit loose at speed if they're faulty. I bought a car off ebay and had it shipped across the country. They must have loaded it on backwards because when it arrived there was no sunroof to be seen. Probably still on the side of the road on the Nullarbor Plains!
Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olli Snellman View Post

Originally Posted by Chris White View Post
In America you could not buy a non sunroof 951. You could order a euro delivery nonsunroof and bring it back (got one) but you could not get one at a US dealer lot..
Chris,
this is not true. I have a 1988 full US spec non sun roof 951 which was bought by a finn who lived in Rockford IL during that time. Car was sold new by Auto Werks Of Rockford Richard Lynch, which was a Porsche, MB, Audi & Jaguar dealer located at 208 Kishwaukee St. Rockfor Il 6114. This finn bought car 09/15/88 or 15/9/88 like we write in Europe.
The first owner did not order that car, according to him this Porsche dealership had a lot of them in their yard, he just chooce the car which suits best for his purposes. He also told me there were several non sun roof models; red,white,silver etc. but his chioce was this satin schwartz metallic i own now.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Chris,
this is not true. I have a 1988 full US spec non sun roof 951 which was bought by a finn who lived in Rockford IL during that time. Car was sold new by Auto Werks Of Rockford Richard Lynch, which was a Porsche, MB, Audi & Jaguar dealer located at 208 Kishwaukee St. Rockfor Il 6114. This finn bought car 09/15/88 or 15/9/88 like we write in Europe.
The first owner did not order that car, according to him this Porsche dealership had a lot of them in their yard, he just chooce the car which suits best for his purposes. He also told me there were several non sun roof models; red,white,silver etc. but his chioce was this satin schwartz metallic i own now.
OK, I was confusing sunroof and A/C! - you couldn't get a non A/C 951 here in the US...its the basis for the past pratice of not allowing A/C delete for stock class cars in PCA racing.

Somehow my brain carried that over to the sunroofs!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:31 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I sent a message to owner to see if it's available and what's wrong with it. I'm looking for a parts car and that might be the ticket. Sounds too good to be true though.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
Sounds too good to be true though.
According to post #16, it is!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

OK, I was confusing sunroof and A/C! - you couldn't get a non A/C 951 here in the US...its the basis for the past pratice of not allowing A/C delete for stock class cars in PCA racing.
That's correct. Seems to me the only "accesories" my 951 have is leather seats. According to option code sticker, which include C42 & 946, nothing else (i have that mandatory A/C). So far i have not managed to get clear what C42 include, but i suppose it is something for north american market area.

Quick Reply: Interesting find