Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Reliability questions (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/500169-reliability-questions.html)

fourside 05-20-2009 12:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I actually did find someone. How long can a good engine last if I keep up on everything? I would definitely be bitten by the boost bug sooner or later but I wouldn't if it's going to ruin the car.

RENEE_J 05-20-2009 12:26 AM

It can last a good long time. Mine has over 300K and is a DD with at least 100 miles a day.

sebastian944 05-20-2009 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by RENEE_J (Post 6581527)
It can last a good long time. Mine has over 300K and is a DD with at least 100 miles a day.

Did you ever have a fire? if not, what did you do to prevent it? Any other advice would be helpful. i have 83k and i want to keep it for long time.

RENEE_J 05-20-2009 05:58 PM

No fire, fuel lines and fuel rail replaced with Lindsey items. I have only had two semi big issues.
1. A worn keyway on the cam loosen enough to cam gear enough to start puking oil when pulling in the driveway. easy fix, replace cam.
2. Then an failing fuel pump when driving, it would run fine until the same location on the way home and then sputter, this went on for two months and finally took it to the shop and it stumped them for a day.
My advise is to keep it clean so that you can detect any leaks. Stay up on maintenance and listen to what you car has to tell you, if there is an issue brewing, it will let you know most often subtly.

2bridges 05-20-2009 06:43 PM

well fourside - let me give you some candid advice......

if you are considering a 944T for your only transportation - daily driver, save yourself a ton of grief and look for something else.

When you have issues (and you will, as we all do)
You will have to wait for parts, and will pay dearly for a good shop - unless you enjoy wrenching or would like to start.
Then you will wait for parts again as you get in deeper to discover you need a few additional items.

Just a fact of life with these cars - make the right choice

If this is a pleasure car (2nd,3rd,4th) for you, then find a nice car and join the ranks:thumbsup:

blodstrupmoen 05-20-2009 07:31 PM

øh .. bone stock the 951 is bulletproof. keep it stock ( maybe with a chip ) and replace parts when needed and sometimes before they totally break and it wont cost you that much ..

My DD is a E34 M5 touring , this thing is eating bushings for breakfast , lunch and dinner .. And it has PMS every time you start it when cold , and this would get even worse if you do short driving without getting the temp up ..

Having had some different new Bmws and older ones , the E34 is by far the best . but like the 951 it is starting to get old and depending on previous maintenace they could both be real money pits.

fourside 05-21-2009 01:00 AM

The owner is going to email me the car's full records soon I believe, would anyone here be willing to take a look at them and give me an opinion?

By the way, I won't be relying on this car as a daily driver. That isn't to say that I won't drive it often but I'll have a backup.