Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951s LS1?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:49 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whisper
What are you using for cooling? Is the stock system enough, or did you need to upgrade?

How about wheels/tires? Did you go to a larger size? Is breaking loose a problem if you step on it?

What about your exhaust setup? Is it relatively easy to make it shut up? (Or do you like loud?)

What kind of gas mileage do you get? What do you run it on? (I'm in California, and can only get 91 octane.)
Sure...

Start or upgrade to a stock 951 radiator, if it's to be a street car.

For wheels, I run everything from 17's to 18's. The 295's spin shifting into 3rd gear at WOT, so yes throttle control is important. You squeeze vs. hammer if you wanna hook. Also, my traction improved when I switched to KW coilovers. They took the car to another level.

It is very easy to quiet the V8, if you so choose. You can run a Y pipe and single exhaust for a more exotic note, or you can run duals with perhaps an X or H crossover. The sound of the car will bring a smile to your face everytime you start it

I am getting 26.5 MPG highway with the 951 trans @ 75 MPH. I average 22 with mixed city/highway on 93 octane. I tune on the street with HP tuners.

Last edited by DVC; 04-07-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by aixgelo78
now...for some quick questions and things I found.....

wiring harness, what is done with that? Going with a painless unit will cost close to 1k. What has been done or any alternatives?

oh yeah.......how the hell do you get to the spark plugs.... is it accessable while the motor is in?
I'm using a harness built by FAST, but it would be pretty simple to use the harness from the donor car and adapt it, or build your own. The wiring is really easy. Also check out
http://www.speartech.com/

Changing plugs is not an issue, and the LSx is very easy on them. I'd recommend studying the conversion forum on LS1tech.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CPR
But remove the heart and soul of this car and no...you do not have a Porsche. You essentially have a kit car...no more, no less. It does not matter how much spin you put on it. It is a kit car, plain and simple.
Every car is a kit car.

There's no magic in a brand label. Aluminium is aluminium, steel is steel. What works well, works well. What doesn't, does not.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:46 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Every car is a kit car.

There's no magic in a brand label. Aluminium is aluminium, steel is steel. What works well, works well. What doesn't, does not.
Well that's a bit conceptual. You may as well treat every single car ever built as a one off then.

Last edited by 333pg333; 04-07-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:17 AM
jf951
Instructor

i have 278k miles on the odometer. a rebuilt head at 150k and new bearings at 265k. it doesn't burn oil (leaks it but doesn't burn it), i have a cat delete, 27/6, MAF, light fw, tial 38 and run 91 pump gas (96 octane is $6.27/gal. at infineon raceway here) i drive around and see other cars vettes, sti, bmw, evos, and wonder if those cars could hold up to see over a quarter million miles on their OD. i'm sure many of those cars that passed me at red lights over the years are now melted down and back in the USA as patio furniture and bbq'ers at home depot. sure you don't see people rushing out to put an modded 80s tech 2.5 4 in a Ultima GTR but there is something great about a motor that goes on and on. when it goes i don't know what i'll do, i think the lsx is a very interesting alternative.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every car is a kit car.

?

OK, so you purchased a Porsche why? Because of the brand? Because of the looks (brand)? Because of the handling (brand)? Because of the performance (brand)? Or perhaps the Porsche mystique?

Either way, it is ALL about brand. Otherwise you could have easily purchased a Mustang, Vette, etc....These all have motors that work "well", but instead you choose a Porsche. More than likely for one of the reasons listed above.

Listen, I get the whole conversion thing...really, I do. As I stated I am doing it myself in a different car. But to be realistic, it is simply not a true Porsche anymore....no more than a Benz with a SB ford installed, or a Vette with A JDM rice motor would be either of their original selves.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:28 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

HAHA Patrick you go man!

Let's make is simpler in today terms......

1. 944 with V8 conversion = to government BALLOUT

2. Modding the 951 motor to high HP hows the old saying goes of " YOU GOT TO PAY TO PLAY"
Old 04-07-2009, 02:05 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

i cannot understand why there is any disagreement with a relatively straightforward mod that takes the car from barely beating civic Si's to blowing the doors off a brand new 997.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CPR
?

OK, so you purchased a Porsche why? Because of the brand? Because of the looks (brand)? Because of the handling (brand)? Because of the performance (brand)? Or perhaps the Porsche mystique?
Let's not get confused, here.

What *is* a brand? It's a company.

Why is there a difference between brands? Because some companies do things better than others.

Why do some companies have a "mystique"? Because some companies *consistently* do things better.

But so ultimately, mystique and brand are functions of... function.

Originally Posted by Ferdinand Porsche, while surveying a PCA Parade concours field
It makes me sad. Our cars were meant to be driven, not polished.
When the 944 was designed, it intended to be the best car they could make it, not the "Porschiest". They built it in an Audi plant, with parts purchased from dozens of different companies. (The 944 is not unique in this. As I said, all cars are kit cars.)

At the time 150hp was INSANE for a four cylinder engine.

But better stuff is available now. And what does Porsche think about better stuff?

Originally Posted by Ernst Fuhrmann
Who has the right to define a Porsche only as a rear-engine, air-cooled car? Just because the first two cars were this, can we not grow? Do we not evolve?
That's what Porsche thinks about better stuff. It thinks better stuff is *better*. The company did not acquire that prized mystique by being sentimental about brand or design or anything else. They developed by being practical and using whatever put them a cut above.

If, today, Porsche had to fit a powerful, front-mounted, water-cooled engine into a narrow bay, from below, it probably wouldn't look quite like the LS series. But it wouldn't be surprising at all if it were a pushrod V8.

If there's anything I've learned as an engineer, it's that brands are for consumers. Behind the curtain, where things are made, they are assembled from little bits built by hundreds of different companies, and stamped with a single label to convince *you* that it is different, special, a cut above.

But the value of something is how well it performs its intended task.

I can't help but think that it's a bit silly for people who know so much about engines to toss away everything they know, and go back to evaluating engines by label, like some clueless computer novice paying premium for an underpowered notebook computer because it has an apple on it.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:04 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Really Rocket I just like to see one of those V8 swap ones keep up with my modded 951!
Old 04-07-2009, 03:12 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Really Rocket I just like to see one of those V8 swap ones keep up with my modded 951!
Old 04-07-2009, 03:13 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

They won't hold a candle to a 997 hell your R8 can't hold onto a 997 it was proven on top gear.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 PM
968ls1
Racer

Default LS1 951/968

I have bee reading this thread and I could not be quiet any longer. If you want to see an LS1 converted Pcar smoke a 997 just show up at Road Atlanta on April 25th and 26th. Be sure and bring your camera so you won't forget what you saw when you get back home.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:41 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 968ls1
I have bee reading this thread and I could not be quiet any longer. If you want to see an LS1 converted Pcar smoke a 997 just show up at Road Atlanta on April 25th and 26th. Be sure and bring your camera so you won't forget what you saw when you get back home.
what's done to the LS1??
Old 04-07-2009, 07:24 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
what's done to the LS1??
Hmmmm....Sissy GM guys.

Originally Posted by 968ls1
Dfastest951,

I would be interested in the 2.9 5 speed R&P: how much are they? Are the custom made or something OE?. I also tried to do the 3.1 R&P when I was running a 968 trans axle but could not make it happen. I built a 6 speed with the .60 6th but the real issue is the gear spacing on 1st through 5th. The .60 was nice for cruising but it was a big drop from 5th to 6th. With the LS1 torque I found myself shifting just too much especially on the track. Street driving I would go 1st-3rd-5th to avoid useless shifts. I compared the Tremec 5 speed ratios to the 951 gearbox and they are very similar and the Tremec transmissions are typically used with V8 engines. That being said I currently run a cryo/rem treated 951TS gearbox with a S2 5th gear (.778) and is the best compromise I have found for my setup. I just rode in a friends 944 LS1 with a 951 trans and a NA .83 5th and is works well if you want even more reduced RPM for highway cruising. A cryo/rem treated 951TS with taller 5th is the most cost effective solution IMHO. The durability has a lot to do with how you prepair, treat and service the trans axle. In 12 years of driving LT1 and LS1 converted cars I have yet to damage a trans axle; I don't to drag race starts (OK I have done a few ) but do A LOT of track days and street driving. I have bought several 951 gearboxes (for less than $500) so if I do break one I have plenty of low cost spare parts. My new 404 LS2 make 485RWHP and 470RWTQ that's 100hp and 85lbs more torque that my old engine so i'll see if the trans axle will live with the added power. Thanks for all your input and information!
Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 951s LS1?