951s LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DVC
Chris-

Just some friendly advice from a BTDT. Start with the nicest possible 944 series car you can find....period. When the swap is done, you will be obsessed with the car, and will deeply regret having started with a turd.

Find a conversion locally that you can drive or take a ride in. This will eliminate any hesitation you may have, and keep you motivated during the swap process. As far as resale, the LS motor will expand your potential buyer base tremendously. I can tell you from first hand experience, that the GM guys are enamored over this combination.

Reliability?? My swap has been my commuter AND weekend weapon for the last two years and I've never been late to work, and the only money I spend is on mods.
Sounds pretty good.

As someone who's about to be there and do that, I'm going to threadjack with some questions:

What are you using for cooling? Is the stock system enough, or did you need to upgrade?

How about wheels/tires? Did you go to a larger size? Is breaking loose a problem if you step on it?

What about your exhaust setup? Is it relatively easy to make it shut up? (Or do you like loud?)

What kind of gas mileage do you get? What do you run it on? (I'm in California, and can only get 91 octane.)
Old 04-06-2009, 09:37 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok let me see if I can clarify a chevy V8 in the 944 is like a shaq o neil dunking but a modded 951 with the 4 cyl engine is like spud webb dunking a greater feet kinda like stated above in a different way.
Why not use a cayenne V8/928 V8 if you want one that bad??? but remember I just said MY OPINION!! I just feel it sound be porsche all the way so don't chastise me
Old 04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by INURGRL951
Why not use a cayenne V8/928 V8 if you want one that bad???
Because they do not fit in the engine bay. The LS series are narrower.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:03 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Really I have a 944 chassis here I was going to try it in but the cayenne is only 4.5 is it that much wider?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Whisper
Burning Brakes

Really I have a 944 chassis here I was going to try it in but the cayenne is only 4.5 is it that much wider?
I'm only repeating what I've heard, but I've heard it from multiple sources. The 928 V8 and the Cayenne engines are both too wide for the narrow 944 engine bay, at least without cutting and fabrication work.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:57 PM
aixgelo78
Instructor

Originally Posted by DVC
Chris-

Just some friendly advice from a BTDT. Start with the nicest possible 944 series car you can find....period. When the swap is done, you will be obsessed with the car, and will deeply regret having started with a turd.

Find a conversion locally that you can drive or take a ride in. This will eliminate any hesitation you may have, and keep you motivated during the swap process. As far as resale, the LS motor will expand your potential buyer base tremendously. I can tell you from first hand experience, that the GM guys are enamored over this combination.

Reliability?? My swap has been my commuter AND weekend weapon for the last two years and I've never been late to work, and the only money I spend is on mods.
Thanks guys...all your comments are awesome.

as far as the purist standpoint, I am with you, but unfortunately installing a cayenne TT motor and or a 928 motor would be 1 mechanically frustrating, 2 not budget concious. I know anything is possible, but to what account. I would buy a 996TT for that price tag.

now...for some quick questions and things I found.....

wiring harness, what is done with that? Going with a painless unit will cost close to 1k. What has been done or any alternatives?

Renegade hybrids seem to be the kit of choice, but I do not see any harness issues address with that kit.

I have also found some good info.... for the archives
http://blackforesthybrids.com/store/index.php

http://www.porschehybrids.com/php/

and obviously
http://renegadehybrids.com/

oh yeah.......how the hell do you get to the spark plugs.... is it accessable while the motor is in?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

CSV8 is DOHC, that's why its too wide, the LSx works well because its OHV.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:11 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

I saw a CS engine on ebay a few months ago for 3k but I have tooooo many projects to take on another one now there will be others
Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not that it matters, but....

first, until recently (say..last 10 years or so) it wasn't necessarily the reliability of the bowtie, but the longevity of it. And before everyone goes and gets their panties in a bunch, what I mean by that is the performance longevity. These motors (80's-90's), as I said until recently, were simply wore out by the time they hit 70k-80k or more miles...or at least the majority that I have had. Now that is supposed to be a thing of rats past...you know...poor QC, lower grade parts, etc..., that plagued all of the big three through these years. Point in fact: you can buy a Reman SB rat that is significantly more durable than its' OEM predecessor....and warrantied to reflect it.

In contrast, you have 23 year-old P-motors with 100k plus (some cases +++++ 100k) that still pull like a SOB and have very little drop in reflective performance values from day 1. Are they perfect? Absolutley not. Are they a PITA? Sure. But what is the difference in a Porsche 2.5l $8k teardown/rebuild that yields 300+RWHP and a Chevy $8k conversion that yields 300RWHP (in some cases 300crank HP)? Simple. In 80k miles the 2.5 liter is still fine. The SB rat? Well who knows for sure. But remove the heart and soul of this car and no...you do not have a Porsche. You essentially have a kit car...no more, no less. It does not matter how much spin you put on it. It is a kit car, plain and simple.

With that said, as some of you already know, I am in the very early stages of a conversion. However, I am not decimating my 60k mile Turbo to do it. I do not have any issues with those who have OR are doing a conversion, as I am myself. But let's not get it twisted. It ceases to exist a a Porsche the minute you rip out its' very core.

Just my opinion..FLAME SUIT ON :P
Old 04-06-2009, 11:29 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

^^take the flame suit off brotha ...I gots yo back
Old 04-06-2009, 11:34 PM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by spoolin51
^^take the flame suit off brotha ...I gots yo back
'Bout time you posted something before 3.00am
Old 04-06-2009, 11:38 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

I think there are plenty of good points made for either camp. Certainly if I could turn the clock back I would strongly consider the V8 transplant. Having said that, if my new engine makes 500+hp perhaps I'll feel all the pain vindicated.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:49 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CPR
'Bout time you posted something before 3.00am
I know right....blame it on the a aa alcohol
you going to the fest bro?

OT sorry aixgelo78
Old 04-06-2009, 11:53 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I think there are plenty of good points made for either camp. Certainly if I could turn the clock back I would strongly consider the V8 transplant. Having said that, if my new engine makes 500+hp perhaps I'll feel all the pain vindicated.
+951 you'll hit it....
Old 04-07-2009, 12:09 AM
CPR
Race Director

Originally Posted by spoolin51
I know right....blame it on the a aa alcohol
you going to the fest bro?

OT sorry aixgelo78
Negative.

North American Sand Soccer National Championships are the same weekend and we are defending champions in the U-14 bracket.

On the bright side, there is no shortage of Bikinis, alcohol, live bands, shooters for hooters, tips for nips, ho's for bro's, etc...as well as the womens Pro-BEach Volleyball tourney on the same beach

Quick Reply: 951s LS1?